YouTubeTV and Roku

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Who has both? And if Roku does decide to completely drop YoutubeTV, will you switch streaming services or your streaming device? I have 4 tv’s with rokus so I’m not too excited at the thought of changing them all out. However compared with Hulu, I liked youtubetv better when I did trials of each.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
I had all Roku devices in my house not too long ago. Now down to just one. Luckily existing users can keep the app on the Roku. However, if they don’t fix this and for whatever reason I need to change, I will pick something other than Roku. I’m not switching away from YouTube TV over something like this.

Sep 12, 2008
All our tv's have Roku devices, but we do not have YouTube TV. We do use the regular YouTube app all the time and as long as they don't drop it we will be happy.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Just jumping in to say the new Chromecast w/Google TV is worth checking out. ;) I have youtube tv but no roku. Never was a fan of the interface on the one my parents have so I never got one. I've got 2 fire tvs and a chromecast. Chromecast definitely being the better of the two.

Aug 16, 2012
Who has both? And if Roku does decide to completely drop YoutubeTV, will you switch streaming services or your streaming device? I have 4 tv’s with rokus so I’m not too excited at the thought of changing them all out. However compared with Hulu, I liked youtubetv better when I did trials of each.
We have Roku as the "hub" on three TV's. Do not spend a whole lot of time on YouTube but our new main room TV has YouTube built in so from my perspective, this move does not really affect me. If it came down to one or the other, I would keep Roku since it is a gateway to other services.

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I’ll bite. What’s so great about YouTube tv? Haven’t tried it. Got roku. Good stuff. Got Apple TV for Hanks new movie. That’s it. We have free accounts everywhere it seems. HBO plus. Amazon prime. Just no time to browse.
It’s a good cable alternative. Easy to use interface, customizable guide, a lot of sports (was better when they still had fox sports regional channels), and unlimited recordings for $65/month.

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Local stuff too? Is it like the greatest library of all time? MASH? Cheers? Or like Netflix where they come and go?
Local channels are included. Nothing comes and goes. Same channels that cable offers just fewer of them. I’m gonna guess there are maybe 75 channels.

If you like mash and cheers, you could add it to your youtubetv library and it would record every time those shows are on any channel.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Local stuff too? Is it like the greatest library of all time? MASH? Cheers? Or like Netflix where they come and go?
Local channels are included. Nothing comes and goes. Same channels that cable offers just fewer of them. I’m gonna guess there are maybe 75 channels.

If you like mash and cheers, you could add it to your youtubetv library and it would record every time those shows are on any channel.
Or check out sites like tubitv, or other free sites that have on demand channels.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2006
It’s a good cable alternative. Easy to use interface, customizable guide, a lot of sports (was better when they still had fox sports regional channels), and unlimited recordings for $65/month.
Speaking of, are we going to have any games on fssw? I also have YouTube tv. It looks like most of the streaming services dropped the regional fox sports channels.

Feb 25, 2008
https://apnews.com/article/nhl-television-4b166cf07e81471cdf599674743a2864

Goodbye, Fox. Hello, Bally.
Most of the regional sports networks began a new chapter Wednesday as they switched over from Fox Sports to Bally Sports. The rebranding of 19 regional networks has been nearly a two-year process after they were purchased by the Sinclair Broadcast Group from Walt Disney Company for $10 billion in 2019. Disney was required by the Department of Justice to sell the networks in order for its acquisition of 21st Century Fox’s film and television assets to be approved.
Those regional networks that fall under the Bally Sports banner hold the local rights to 42 professional teams — 16 NBA, 14 MLB and 12 NHL. It is the largest rebrand since the SportsChannel networks became a part of Fox Sports in 1998.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bally_College_Sports
The three Bally College Sports channels offer feeds from the various Bally Sports channels, including live games (Bally Sports has rights to show live Big 12 Conference football, and Atlantic Coast Conference basketball games on Bally College Sports). They also rerun shows originally produced by the various networks affiliated with Bally Sports. As of April 2021, the networks no longer focus on specific conferences despite their regional names.