Your Vehicle

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Planning on seeing what CarMax would offer as-is this weekend to get a baseline. Before the motor issue, my Carvana offer was like $23k I think? So SURELY it'll at least be in the teens... So, before I take too long and change my mind, I need to get an idea of a 4dr that's reliable and decent looking but not super nice. My wife is OK with me doing this but was pretty serious that she doesn't want me to get a car I don't like just because it's cheap. I figured I'd be safe finding something that's maybe under 80k miles but I know there's some particular brands to avoid at that mileage.

I'm open to any type of vehicle as long as it's got 4 doors with a back seat that I can fit a rear facing car seat in. AWD doesn't matter because if we have weather conditions that require it, school will be closed and I'll have my wifes SUV at my disposal. Or I can just work from home.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Planning on seeing what CarMax would offer as-is this weekend to get a baseline. Before the motor issue, my Carvana offer was like $23k I think? So SURELY it'll at least be in the teens... So, before I take too long and change my mind, I need to get an idea of a 4dr that's reliable and decent looking but not super nice. My wife is OK with me doing this but was pretty serious that she doesn't want me to get a car I don't like just because it's cheap. I figured I'd be safe finding something that's maybe under 80k miles but I know there's some particular brands to avoid at that mileage.

I'm open to any type of vehicle as long as it's got 4 doors with a back seat that I can fit a rear facing car seat in. AWD doesn't matter because if we have weather conditions that require it, school will be closed and I'll have my wifes SUV at my disposal. Or I can just work from home.
1974 Ford Pinto perhaps? :popcorn:

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK

My daughter got one of the Mazda CX5's really nice car for the money.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Haha. I just have to laugh at my situation... So far the series of events, starting from last Monday:
  • Monday - Took it in for misfire #3 and rough idle. Given a loaner.
  • Tue - Notified failed ringland on piston #3, recommended new $8k short block. Let me think it over that night and get back to them in the morning.
  • Wed - I tell them 'no' on the repair and that I'll be by after work to get pick it up. I get there about 4:30 and the desk and tech had been busy that day and weren't able to talk. Some recall parts had arrived (backup camera/reverse light switch) and the tech was planning on installing the next morning. Told them no biggie, I'll come back tomorrow.
  • Thur - I check about 2:00 on the status and the tech had been out sick that day so plan on Friday pickup
  • Fri - I go and pick my car up at noon and limp it home (this poor car just feels mad that it's being driven...). I get home from my Edmond - Piedmont drive, pull in my garage then throw it in reverse to check my parking... Camera doesn't come on... I try several times (before I had to jiggle the stick for it to work) and nothing. Reverse lights don't come on either. I call them and they tell me I've gotta bring it back to see if it's a quick fix. I limp back to the dealership and take my laptop to work while I wait. Comes out an hour later and says they're putting my back in the loaner bc the switch is bad. (Kinda confused how they didn't notice before they gave it back to me but whatever.) Said they had to order another switch and the last one took 4-5 days to get.
  • Yesterday - They call me during lunch and inform me that the Subaru has put the order on backorder, assumingly because there's problems and it 'could' be a week but they really don't know.
They can't give me back my car with non-functioning reverse lights (safety issue) so I've got the loaner until that happens. It's at least a nice loaner, a 2023 Crosstrek Sport that had 50mi when I first got it. These start at $27k but according to the window sticker in the glove box it's got $5k of add-ons taking MSRP up to $32k. Depending on how many miles I put on this thing before they get my car back, I'm tempted to see what they'd take for it. lol. I'm basically the 1st person that's driven it so it's "new" in that sense but also it's a loaner vehicle and not a lot vehicle so maybe they'd be willing to come down on it some. It's been a week and I've already put 250 on it. Worth a shot right? You better believe we're taking this thing on every errand we run while we have it. If nothing else, just to keep miles off our Explorer which I also need to replace before IT has something catastrophic happen.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
They can't give me back my car with non-functioning reverse lights (safety issue) so I've got the loaner until that happens. It's at least a nice loaner, a 2023 Crosstrek Sport that had 50mi when I first got it. These start at $27k but according to the window sticker in the glove box it's got $5k of add-ons taking MSRP up to $32k. Depending on how many miles I put on this thing before they get my car back, I'm tempted to see what they'd take for it. lol. I'm basically the 1st person that's driven it so it's "new" in that sense but also it's a loaner vehicle and not a lot vehicle so maybe they'd be willing to come down on it some. It's been a week and I've already put 250 on it. Worth a shot right? You better believe we're taking this thing on every errand we run while we have it. If nothing else, just to keep miles off our Explorer which I also need to replace before IT has something catastrophic happen.
I won't be surprised to hear that they are wanting $3k or more OVER that tacked on (inflated) $32k MSRP. :cursing:

There are reports down here in Texas of "family" dealerships moving inventory from NEW Chevrolet lots to another of their family dealerships, say like a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealer, and putting it in their USED inventory so that they can sell for way over MSRP... and Corporate GM is none-the-wiser.

Loophole of getting around getting their butts chewed by the MFR for selling way over MSRP. And for some reason if you go on Autotrader right now and do a search, you'll find quite a few "Used" vehicles with less than 1k miles on the odometer.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
After a couple weeks in a loaner due to a backordered switch for recall repair (my reverse camera and backup lights aren't functional now), I just got an update today from the dealership. Shipping date set for DEC 10... Guess I get to enjoy the loaner life for a while. I'm losing enough on trade/sell with a motor that needs replaced. Not having working reverse lights and camera sure isn't going to help that, even if it IS a recall. I'm about to the point that I'm tempted to call and ask them what they'd offer for my car but at the same time, this delay should put getting my car back closer to when the new '23 Ascent models are hitting dealerships which is what I'm considering to replace our Explorer. Makes more sense to use my car to trade towards that and then the Explorer to trade towards a car for me rather than the other way around.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Well, got the ball rolling on repairing the engine... It's gonna suck but honestly I think I'm going to have an easier time selling it this way, make the sell/buy process more on my timeframe and I don't have to worry about it blowing up driving it here and there while trying to sell it. Weird news is they're pretty confident that the short block will get here before the reverse switch does. lol

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Well, got the ball rolling on repairing the engine... It's gonna suck but honestly I think I'm going to have an easier time selling it this way, make the sell/buy process more on my timeframe and I don't have to worry about it blowing up driving it here and there while trying to sell it. Weird news is they're pretty confident that the short block will get here before the reverse switch does. lol
Update: Not only will it get here quick, they actually already have one in stock. And they found out the issue with the switch delay. He's been getting recall switches in no problem but for some reason the system flagged mine as just a regular order so it's been put behind all the recall parts. They're trying to get that corrected.

Oh and some good news is that the price he gave me before was about $1200 high because the parts guy (no longer there) gave him a higher cost than it actually is when he quoted me.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Still at it. Still arguably the greatest pure "driver" of all time. Even with all the takes or reshoots or attempts. The guy can just do stuff with a car that no one else in the world can. This has to be equivalent to riding backseat with the Blue Angels. And it sounds so futuristic now that he's doing it in an electric car. Rumor has it he went through more than 100 tires to shoot this one. :eek::eek::eek:

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Update: Not only will it get here quick, they actually already have one in stock. And they found out the issue with the switch delay. He's been getting recall switches in no problem but for some reason the system flagged mine as just a regular order so it's been put behind all the recall parts. They're trying to get that corrected.

Oh and some good news is that the price he gave me before was about $1200 high because the parts guy (no longer there) gave him a higher cost than it actually is when he quoted me.
Welp, $1200 saved and $1200 spent... Got it torn down and the heads on the misfire side were toast.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
$8k and 2mo later, finally back in my driver's seat... As I sat there letting it warm up, listening to the rumble, I realized just how bad it was idling before. It was trying to tell me and I just wasn't listening.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk