Your Vehicle

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Well. Honestly, I think I would just let er be at this point. Everything seems to be working, Right?
I mean, yeah. I'm probably gonna drive it to work tomorrow, the 30mi trip just has me a little nervous because I haven't driven it more than about 10mi since getting it going again. I mean, I guess it's a stressful drive either way. I can take the truck and not know what's gonna happen in that 30mi each way or I can drive my car and just wait for/deal with it misfiring 30mil each way. :D

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I mean, yeah. I'm probably gonna drive it to work tomorrow, the 30mi trip just has me a little nervous because I haven't driven it more than about 10mi since getting it going again. I mean, I guess it's a stressful drive either way. I can take the truck and not know what's gonna happen in that 30mi each way or I can drive my car and just wait for/deal with it misfiring 30mil each way. :D
Drive the truck. It is basically brand new again. People drive hunks of junk making every noise imaginable everyday.

Also, if whatever it is making noise breaks, then you know what it was

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
1662034851967.png

It made it to work! lol. No whine either but the engine stayed pretty cool the whole drive. Can probably credit the cooler air outside and the new fan clutch that actually grabs when engaged. We'll see what the drive home has in store. With warmer air and my AC going (windows down this morning) I imagine it'll get the engine temp back up.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
View attachment 97049
It made it to work! lol. No whine either but the engine stayed pretty cool the whole drive. Can probably credit the cooler air outside and the new fan clutch that actually grabs when engaged. We'll see what the drive home has in store. With warmer air and my AC going (windows down this morning) I imagine it'll get the engine temp back up.
Was the a/c on during the drive in to work this morning???

Cool little stepside. Don't think I've seen one in, I'll bet, 10 years. :(

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Was the a/c on during the drive in to work this morning???

Cool little stepside. Don't think I've seen one in, I'll bet, 10 years. :(
No, it was a windows down morning. I always drive windows down when the weather is halfway decent. The AC robs about 20% of this truck's HP so having driven it since I was 16, I've been conditioned to only use the AC when it's absolutely necessary. lol.

I know where you're going though and it's not the AC. I had the entire compressor and main lines replaced early on in this adventure and it was making the whine both before and after.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
No, it was a windows down morning. I always drive windows down when the weather is halfway decent. The AC robs about 20% of this truck's HP so having driven it since I was 16, I've been conditioned to only use the AC when it's absolutely necessary. lol.

I know where you're going though and it's not the AC. I had the entire compressor and main lines replaced early on in this adventure and it was making the whine both before and after.
Crap. Well we've dissected this damn thing so many times I couldn't remember if you swapped out the compressor (and I'm too lazy to run back thru the thread to see if you had).

Just sell the Scooby... take the money and drop a LS3 AND a maggie TVS2300 in the s10. Then it'll still whine... BUT It'll be a whine you WANT.TO.LISTEN.TO!

We've really overthought your problems here. :glare:

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Crap. Well we've dissected this damn thing so many times I couldn't remember if you swapped out the compressor (and I'm too lazy to run back thru the thread to see if you had).

Just sell the Scooby... take the money and drop a LS3 AND a maggie TVS2300 in the s10. Then it'll still whine... BUT It'll be a whine you WANT.TO.LISTEN.TO!

We've really overthought your problems here. :glare:
I will say, despite playing "is that sound coming from my truck or the car next to me" was a little stressful this morning, but right now it's lifted some weight off my shoulders since I'm not trapped into driving a misfiring Subaru anymore.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Well THAT'S a new one for me. Lol. I was fully expecting this to be an O2 code since my truck doesn't have a catalytic converter. Guess we'll see how it drives the next few days. Wasn't even running bad when it threw it and drove it home without any issue.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Well THAT'S a new one for me. Lol. I was fully expecting this to be an O2 code since my truck doesn't have a catalytic converter. Guess we'll see how it drives the next few days. Wasn't even running bad when it threw it and drove it home without any issue.
Is your car 65 years old? I ask because I'm getting the same message from my brain almost daily.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Long story short, STI has a busted piston and needs a new short block at 76k... Replacement is $8k be it from dealership or local performance shop.

I'm toying the idea of getting whatever I can out of the STI and cut my losses, spend that money to buy some budget 4dr that I can drive to/from work and cart around the kids then take the money I would have spent fixing my car and .... wait for it @kaboy42 .... Finally V8 swap my mothersmurfin S10!! And I hinted the idea to the wife and she didn't seem opposed to the general idea, so it's possible! :D

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Long story short, STI has a busted piston and needs a new short block at 76k... Replacement is $8k be it from dealership or local performance shop.

I'm toying the idea of getting whatever I can out of the STI and cut my losses, spend that money to buy some budget 4dr that I can drive to/from work and cart around the kids then take the money I would have spent fixing my car and .... wait for it @kaboy42 .... Finally V8 swap my mothersmurfin S10!! And I hinted the idea to the wife and she didn't seem opposed to the general idea, so it's possible! :D
I'm not sure which emoji to pin on this post... sad face emoji OR LOL emoji. :blink:

;)

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

@oks10 Oh look... $8k doll hairs!!!

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-8241-...MIsO3ThdO6-gIVRxXUAR0mZAfNEAQYASABEgJXLPD_BwE

I think the Gearhead Gods are trying to tell you something. :lol::lol::lol:

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
@oks10 Oh look... $8k doll hairs!!!

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-8241-...MIsO3ThdO6-gIVRxXUAR0mZAfNEAQYASABEgJXLPD_BwE

I think the Gearhead Gods are trying to tell you something. :lol::lol::lol:
I can't spend it ALL on the motor. lol. And I'm smart enough to admit that this isn't something I'm going to take on myself. I don't have the time, tools or knowhow to do this on my own. I can obviously hold my own on a lot of things (as evidenced getting this truck back up and running only using a shop for the AC) so I could probably figure it out but I don't my wife has the patience for swapping the motor AND figuring it out. lol. I'm hoping to find a shop nearby that might be in to this kind of thing. I mean "this the 405" isn't it? We've got our own TV show with guys doing MUCH crazier stuff.

Oh, and I floated the general idea to my wife and she didn't immediately shoot me down! lol. I didn't specifically say "V8" but I said getting "a budget 4dr and then spending money on my truck to do things I've been wanting to do for decades". She HAD to know that meant V8 right? :D

Last edited:

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I can't spend it ALL on the motor. lol. And I'm smart enough to admit that this isn't something I'm going to take on myself. I don't have the time, tools or knowhow to do this on my own. I can obviously hold my own on a lot of things (as evidenced getting this truck back up and running only using a shop for the AC) so I could probably figure it out but I don't my wife has the patience for swapping the motor AND figuring it out. lol. I'm hoping to find a shop nearby that might be in to this kind of thing. I mean "this the 405" isn't it? We've got our own TV show with guys doing MUCH crazier stuff.
I'm not sure who the LSx experts are in OKC/Tulsa area anymore. Sorry. I still have quite a few gearhead buddies still in the scene around those parts. I can ask around for you. I took my GTO down to SNL Performance in the DFW area when I was throwing parts and money at it... but that was in like 2010. Sheesh.

But seriously, for that s10, a good, strong running 6.0L like a LQ9 would be plenty of engine... heck even a 5.3 if you were really just wanting a decent driver out of it. If it were mine... I'd find a decent, used 5.3 or 6.0L WITH trans outta something wrecked. Painless Wiring probably makes a direct wiring harness to do the swap. Then find someone reputable to do the swap. You're probably going to have to find some type of Ford 9" rear-end too at some point. AND eventually I'd get to suspension (get it sitting a little lower and meaner and modern) and bigger brakes all the way around.

There was a LS3 swapped s10 same gen as yours down here (south Texas) for sale a few months back on the ol' FB Marketplace... completely redone... full drivetrain, suspension, disc brakes, interior, paint... the works! ALL BLACK. It looked like a modern-day GMC Syclone. Hellabadass!

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I'm not sure who the LSx experts are in OKC/Tulsa area anymore. Sorry. I still have quite a few gearhead buddies still in the scene around those parts. I can ask around for you. I took my GTO down to SNL Performance in the DFW area when I was throwing parts and money at it... but that was in like 2010. Sheesh.

But seriously, for that s10, a good, strong running 6.0L like a LQ9 would be plenty of engine... heck even a 5.3 if you were really just wanting a decent driver out of it. If it were mine... I'd find a decent, used 5.3 or 6.0L WITH trans outta something wrecked. Painless Wiring probably makes a direct wiring harness to do the swap. Then find someone reputable to do the swap. You're probably going to have to find some type of Ford 9" rear-end too at some point. AND eventually I'd get to suspension (get it sitting a little lower and meaner and modern) and bigger brakes all the way around.

There was a LS3 swapped s10 same gen as yours down here (south Texas) for sale a few months back on the ol' FB Marketplace... completely redone... full drivetrain, suspension, disc brakes, interior, paint... the works! ALL BLACK. It looked like a modern-day GMC Syclone. Hellabadass!
It'll have plenty of front drop on these 4cyl springs. Haha. Yeah, suspension and driveline would definitely need replaced. I don't even have a locking diff on my truck so it'd be sending all that power to the back right. :D Luckily my brother is a gear head, even though it's Ford-centric so he'll be a handy resource. He worked at O'Reilly's for about 30yrs building his foxbody race cars on the side now he's flipping 80's/90's F series as his own business. I had an awkward "celebrity" moment when I was over at his house one and freakin Azn from Street Outlaws stopped by because my brother was having him make some custom screen print shirts for him. Most of those guys my brother was raised up around and street raced with in/after high school.