Your Vehicle

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
It's a manual. Clutch has about 80k on it but it feels normal shifting. I remember how it felt when it went out at 110k and that was not a fun experience. I almost didn't make it to the transmission shop. lol
I don't know.:confused:

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Which is where I'm at. haha. I'm reaching for anything at this point. I'm just not a big fan of ignoring new engine noises when I don't know what's making them. It could be something completely insignificant that doesn't need any immediate attention. It could also be something that is warning me that something vital is about to break and leave me stuck on the side of the road and could damage/destroy other parts in the process. At nearly 200k miles, strange new noises that you don't no the cause of isn't something to just ignore, especially in the heat of summer.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Which is where I'm at. haha. I'm reaching for anything at this point. I'm just not a big fan of ignoring new engine noises when I don't know what's making them. It could be something completely insignificant that doesn't need any immediate attention. It could also be something that is warning me that something vital is about to break and leave me stuck on the side of the road and could damage/destroy other parts in the process. At nearly 200k miles, strange new noises that you don't no the cause of isn't something to just ignore, especially in the heat of summer.
I agree

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Welp... time to rip all the sh*ts out and drop in an LSx and a built T56 trans. ALL problems solved. :thumbup: You're welcome.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Well holy crap, I think I may have figured it out! Took it for a drive during lunch, got it to whine by the time I got home. Pulled up, popped the hood to make sure it kept doing it then shut it off and immediately tried to spin the fan by hand. That sucker whipped around almost a full turn. Then once it started to cool off some it went back down to about a 1/3 of a turn like it was before. Must be hearing that clutch slipping. My other brother said to e-fan swap that way it's ready for the LS. lol. I told him if I efan it that could end up making this engine last even LONGER, prolonging the swap. :D

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Well holy crap, I think I may have figured it out! Took it for a drive during lunch, got it to whine by the time I got home. Pulled up, popped the hood to make sure it kept doing it then shut it off and immediately tried to spin the fan by hand. That sucker whipped around almost a full turn. Then once it started to cool off some it went back down to about a 1/3 of a turn like it was before. Must be hearing that clutch slipping. My other brother said to e-fan swap that way it's ready for the LS. lol. I told him if I efan it that could end up making this engine last even LONGER, prolonging the swap. :D
I think you got it

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Welp... time to rip all the sh*ts out and drop in an LSx and a built T56 trans. ALL problems solved. :thumbup: You're welcome.
I'm just gonna replace the clutch and call it good for now. I'm at the point that I'm just getting tired of spending money and replacing parts and just want to drive the damn thing. Lol.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Fan clutch out for deliver today and hopefully that the last thing I have to buy for my S10 for a while.

OBDII scanner out for deliver too because my CEL on the STI went off again yesterday morning, didn't even make it to end of my street before... I think it's a different code than last time though because there were some different lights on the dash this time. We'll see. I'm working from home anyways this week with 2 covid cases in my house so I wasn't in a rush to figure the code out. With my STI and a 200k mile S10, an OBDII scanner is probably something that I just need to have on hand anyways. lol.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Fan clutch out for deliver today and hopefully that the last thing I have to buy for my S10 for a while.

OBDII scanner out for deliver too because my CEL on the STI went off again yesterday morning, didn't even make it to end of my street before... I think it's a different code than last time though because there were some different lights on the dash this time. We'll see. I'm working from home anyways this week with 2 covid cases in my house so I wasn't in a rush to figure the code out. With my STI and a 200k mile S10, an OBDII scanner is probably something that I just need to have on hand anyways. lol.
Kinda bad time for sh*t to be breaking too.

I honestly make more money than 99% of my circle of "friends/family" (and that's without counting 2 retention bonuses I'll get this year AND my annual bonus)... AND I am priced out of the vast majority of the NEW TRUCK automotive market. Seriously.

Ex. I passed on a brand new 2019 Raptor back in late 2019 at $63k (and probably could have gotten the dealer to go even lower). For giggles, I priced a 2022 Raptor just the other day via email with an acquaintance that works at a Ford dealer... ummm... yeah... $116k and they won't come off that price a single penny. The gawdamd things have DOUBLED in price! That's smurfing ridiculous. :cursing:

THE.ONLY.VEHICLE I'd even consider buying right now is a Jeep Gladiator (diesel). They at least have some rebates going on right now and decent amounts of inventory pretty much everywhere. Buuuuuuut, I do NOT feel like spending $65k on something I honestly am just not overjoyed about buying.

I figure my next NEW truck purchase will probably be my last ever full gas vehicle... so I actually want it to be a last hoorah... so I'd love for it to be a v8. Been eyeballing the new Silverado zr2's... but they're demanding close to $100k+ on those as well.

I'm 50+ years old. I've bought one brand new vehicle in my entire life (2000 Silverado ext cab Z71). I've bought everything else used. I finally make enough money to where I feel like I can justify buying new and eating the immediate depreciation of driving a vehicle off the lot... and now I can't (refuse to pay these prices) afford one. :angry:

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Kinda bad time for sh*t to be breaking too.

I honestly make more money than 99% of my circle of "friends/family" (and that's without counting 2 retention bonuses I'll get this year AND my annual bonus)... AND I am priced out of the vast majority of the NEW TRUCK automotive market. Seriously.

Ex. I passed on a brand new 2019 Raptor back in late 2019 at $63k (and probably could have gotten the dealer to go even lower). For giggles, I priced a 2022 Raptor just the other day via email with an acquaintance that works at a Ford dealer... ummm... yeah... $116k and they won't come off that price a single penny. The gawdamd things have DOUBLED in price! That's smurfing ridiculous. :cursing:

THE.ONLY.VEHICLE I'd even consider buying right now is a Jeep Gladiator (diesel). They at least have some rebates going on right now and decent amounts of inventory pretty much everywhere. Buuuuuuut, I do NOT feel like spending $65k on something I honestly am just not overjoyed about buying.

I figure my next NEW truck purchase will probably be my last ever full gas vehicle... so I actually want it to be a last hoorah... so I'd love for it to be a v8. Been eyeballing the new Silverado zr2's... but they're demanding close to $100k+ on those as well.

I'm 50+ years old. I've bought one brand new vehicle in my entire life (2000 Silverado ext cab Z71). I've bought everything else used. I finally make enough money to where I feel like I can justify buying new and eating the immediate depreciation of driving a vehicle off the lot... and now I can't (refuse to pay these prices) afford one. :angry:
On the bolded note, I saw an article this morning that Dodge has announce 2023 is the final model year for both the Charger and Challenger... Interesting times ahead for sure...

I'm keeping my S10 until the motor blows at which point I'd like to drop a V8 in it. I started driving it when I was 16 so I'm coming up on 20yrs with with it this year. I just can't get rid of it. My Subaru I'm hanging on to until something more attractive comes along to me but I'm not in a rush to replace. Our Explorer though I plan to replace in the next 6-9mo so I'm hoping the market on mid-size SUVs calms down a little. I saw those Raptor prices and my eyeballs about popped out of my head. Subaru has announces Ascent MSRP's are only going up $1500 from last year but I haven't seen much from other automakers. Apparently the new Explorer is a turd and has a lot of quality issues so I'm kinda keeping my distance from that one. My eyes are on the 2023 models of the Ascent, Telluride and maybe even the Pallisade. The fact the latter two can apparently be jump started with just a USB cable is a bit concerning though... Hopefully that's fixed in '23...

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
OBDII reader arrived and Cyl3 misfire confirmed again... That's not a happy cylinder. Fan clutch for my truck came in too so hopefully I can get that in and just drive my truck to fix the car later.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
P0303 is my life right now... And it's ruining my feelings about driving my car. It used to be fun to drive and now it's just stressful as I'm constantly eyeing the dash waiting for the CEL to pop. It's to the point that it's literally a daily occurrence and sometimes twice daily. With no rhyme or reason either. Sometimes it's when I first start driving, sometimes it's when I'm just coasting after miles and sometimes when I'm just sitting at a light.

I emailed Subaru of America to ask for clarification on the powertrain warranty because my model year falls within a range that they extended the powertrain to 8yr/100k due a lawsuit over rod bearings. The TSB wasn't explicit though if the extension just covers the bearings or if it's everything under the powertrain warranty. I'm 100% confident I've got a bad piston ringland which is causing this and the warranty extension is for the complete powertrain then this might actually be covered. I'm at 7.5yr/76k right now.

Last edited:

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Well that sucks. I even remember when you bought this car. I mean seriously, that should be "barely" broke in for a Scooby. :blink:

Btw, what did you find out on the truck fan issue???
The fan clutch was bad but wasn't the culprit. By the time I'd gotten back to O'Reilly's to return the tools (literally a mile from home) it was already whining again. lol. I did check the PS fluid after and when cold it's measuring over the hot level for some reason. I've personally never had the PS fluid replaced and I've put about 100k on it. So either it's been overfilled for 100k+ or the oil has gone bad and isn't contracting when it's cooled off (if that's even a thing). I checked the fluid for metal flakes and it's clean but it's also kind of a brownish tan color, which from my recent googling I've found that's not correct. :D I picked up some PS fluid and a turkey baster and am planning on getting that changed out tomorrow during lunch. I'm 75% expecting that not to be the issue either but there's a 25% chance it might be and it definitely needs done regardless.

Also, here's a video of the sound. Just ignore my daughters "teehee" at the beginning since I let her hold the phone to record. Finally figured out how to get it on my youtube account with my name not showing.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
The fan clutch was bad but wasn't the culprit. By the time I'd gotten back to O'Reilly's to return the tools (literally a mile from home) it was already whining again. lol. I did check the PS fluid after and when cold it's measuring over the hot level for some reason. I've personally never had the PS fluid replaced and I've put about 100k on it. So either it's been overfilled for 100k+ or the oil has gone bad and isn't contracting when it's cooled off (if that's even a thing). I checked the fluid for metal flakes and it's clean but it's also kind of a brownish tan color, which from my recent googling I've found that's not correct. :D I picked up some PS fluid and a turkey baster and am planning on getting that changed out tomorrow during lunch. I'm 75% expecting that not to be the issue either but there's a 25% chance it might be and it definitely needs done regardless.

Also, here's a video of the sound. Just ignore my daughters "teehee" at the beginning since I let her hold the phone to record. Finally figured out how to get it on my youtube account with my name not showing.
For a second there I thought you had the cutest blow-off valve EVAR. LOL.

Does the s10 still have the original 4.3 (or 2.8)? Kinda sounds like a pulley. Did you swap out the idler pulley?

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
For a second there I thought you had the cutest blow-off valve EVAR. LOL.

Does the s10 still have the original 4.3 (or 2.8)? Kinda sounds like a pulley. Did you swap out the idler pulley?
It's a 2.2L. Idler/tension assembly was the first thing I replaced. Was the original tensioner but I'd replaced the pulley about 50k ago. With it sounding "bouncy" I though it might have been that. Obviously it wasn't. :D The bearing in the pulley was definitely a little "dirty" compared to the new pully and the tensioner spring had weakened some so it at least did need replaced.

Here's another video. The end is my exhaust with the unintentional lopey idle. I think that's been fixed after I replaced the plugs, wires and coils.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I'm gonna say this PS fluid maybe needed replaced... Looks like GM PS fluid circa 1998. :lol:
1661969706671.png

(Don't worry, this was just the first amount that I pulled from the reservoir. I emptied the reservoir with a baster, filled it with new fluid, ran the engine and went full lock to full lock 5 times then repeated that 4-5 times. Went through 2qts of fluid and filled this container basically.)

It DID make the steering a lot smoother and engine overall quieter, but still have that whining... All I've gotta do is drive a mile with the AC on to get it going. With as obvious a sound as it is, you'd THINK I'd be able to find it with a stethoscope but nothing I touch has this noise. Which is what keeps taking my back to the fan pulley bearing but even if I touch the bracket as close as I can to the pulley without hitting anything, it doesn't produce this sound.