Your Vehicle

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
I guess in a general way a non-hybrid vehicle has an electric or maybe pneumatic starter which initiates the ignition process. However, an older Toyota Highlander Hybrid uses something like one or two electric motors for that function instead of a traditional starter. I believe they’re referred to as a motor generator. For those of you in the know, are those relatively easy to replace?

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Alright, question time for the mechanically inclined... My S10 has sat for quite a while and I'm trying to get it back to driving to slow the miles down on my Subaru (avatar pic). To show how rarely it gets driven, the oil change sticker had a due date of 06/2019... lol. I've got it running again but it's got a weird noise I'm trying to figure out that only happens after its been driven for a few miles, doesn't happen at start up or if I shut it off and turn it back on a few minutes later. My best description of it is a "kind of a wobbly whine". List below of everything I've replaced over the last month (only thing not done by me was AC compressor).

- Battery
- Fuel pump
- Fuel filter
- Belt
- Tensioner
- AC compressor
- Spark plugs
- Spark plug wires
- Ignition coils
- Shocks, front and rear
- EGR valve (well, I just cleaned it out with carb cleaner)

It's a whine so it's obviously something that's belt driven. Belt, tensioner and AC compressor is all new which leaves the alternator, PS pump, water pump, crank pulley and fan. I got a mechanic stethoscope and listened to the alternator, PS pump and water pump, none of them sending the same pitch through the probe as you can audibly hear. The only other moving parts are the fan and crank. I doubt it's the crank because I probed kinda near it on the edge of the oil pan and didn't hear it which leaves me with the fan (which I obviously can't check with the scope, lol)... Has anyone had the fan clutch and/or pulley bearing go bad and know what that sounds like? I feel like I've ruled out everything I possibly can but just seems weird that it'd narrow down to that. If it's the fan clutch, that seems simple enough to replace. If it's the pulley bearing, you can't JUST replace the bearing on these. The replacement part for that is the pulley which is pre-installed onto the bracket that goes across the whole front of the motor that everything mounts to...
1660228465238.png

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Not bloody likely.

Might need to hook you up with my trailer guy, though.

View attachment 96777

View attachment 96775 View attachment 96776
Too late. Snagged a special order 5x8 CargoMate trailer that the buyer backed out on last summer. It’s eventually going to be turned into a multi-purpose adventure-type trailer. I hate wrestling the kayaks off/on the top of the FJ, so this trailer is gonna get some yak racks… and an awning on the side-door side… and some additional lighting and other stuff (of course some orange graphics/wrap). The intention, to just keep all the camping/activity stuff in the trailer with the yaks mounted, then it’s as simple as hooking up to it at the storage unit and heading out for the weekend… then on return, no need to unpack crap, just drop the trailer off at storage again.

Gotta find someone in the Houston area to help build it out for me though. :unsure:

1AD963B0-7C0E-4F91-A098-93ECF7C9D1AC.jpeg
0043D7AB-8966-4B26-8BAC-13E0281BFF9D.jpeg

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Alright, question time for the mechanically inclined... My S10 has sat for quite a while and I'm trying to get it back to driving to slow the miles down on my Subaru (avatar pic). To show how rarely it gets driven, the oil change sticker had a due date of 06/2019... lol. I've got it running again but it's got a weird noise I'm trying to figure out that only happens after its been driven for a few miles, doesn't happen at start up or if I shut it off and turn it back on a few minutes later. My best description of it is a "kind of a wobbly whine". List below of everything I've replaced over the last month (only thing not done by me was AC compressor).

- Battery
- Fuel pump
- Fuel filter
- Belt
- Tensioner
- AC compressor
- Spark plugs
- Spark plug wires
- Ignition coils
- Shocks, front and rear

It's a whine so it's obviously something that's belt driven. Belt, tensioner and AC compressor is all new which leaves the alternator, PS pump, water pump, crank pulley and fan. I got a mechanic stethoscope and listened to the alternator, PS pump and water pump, none of them sending the same pitch through the probe as you can audibly hear. The only other moving parts are the fan and crank. I doubt it's the crank because I probed kinda near it on the edge of the oil pan and didn't hear it which leaves me with the fan (which I obviously can't check with the scope, lol)... Has anyone had the fan clutch and/or pulley bearing go bad and know what that sounds like? I feel like I've ruled out everything I possibly can but just seems weird that it'd narrow down to that. If it's the fan clutch, that seems simple enough to replace. If it's the pulley bearing, you can't JUST replace the bearing on these. The replacement part for that is the pulley which is pre-installed onto the bracket that goes across the whole front of the motor that everything mounts to...
View attachment 96786
Power steering

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007

- Battery
- Fuel pump
- Fuel filter
- Belt
- Tensioner
- AC compressor
- Spark plugs
- Spark plug wires
- Ignition coils
- Shocks, front and rear

View attachment 96786
Stuff like this can be frustrating. It's tough to identify engine accessory noise on an engine with a serpentine belt. It's even tougher when the noise is intermittent.

Did the noise start after you changed out the belt? If so, you might want to reinstall the old belt to see if the noise goes away. Some belts are noisy right out of the box.

If that doesn't work, take off the belt and check the pullies by hand. Check to see if the bearings are too loose or binding.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007

- Battery
- Fuel pump
- Fuel filter
- Belt
- Tensioner
- AC compressor
- Spark plugs
- Spark plug wires
- Ignition coils
- Shocks, front and rear

View attachment 96786
Yeah fan clutches can go bad. I've had one go bad on an old C10 and it did make a sound like you are describing... replaced it with a universal heavy-duty flex blade fan. BUT TODAY, I'd replace it with electronic fans and ditch the old tech.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Stuff like this can be frustrating. It's tough to identify engine accessory noise on an engine with a serpentine belt. It's even tougher when the noise is intermittent.

Did the noise start after you changed out the belt? If so, you might want to reinstall the old belt to see if the noise goes away. Some belts are noisy right out of the box.

If that doesn't work, take the belt off and check the pullies by hand. Check to see if the bearings are too loose or binding.
Noise occurred before replacing anything. Replaced the belt and tensioner hoping it was one of those. The bearings in the tensioner pulley were definitely going bad so, that did need replaced but wasn't the cause of teh whine. Next I had AC compressor replaced because it didn't work but also hoped that it might have been the cause of the noise. I did take the belt off and checked the pulleys by hand. All of them were smooth and not loose.

@Duke Silver I thought PS pump too at first but loading the steering doesn't affect it. Once it starts, volume is constant no matter the engine/accessory load and the pitch of the whine goes up and down with engine RPM. Also the pitch I'm hearing doesn't come through the probe when I touch it to the PS pump.

I'm not even sure I would say it's an intermittent sound. It happens every time the truck is driven but it doesn't do it at startup. Anytime I drive it more than a few miles is when it happens and stays til I shut the engine off. That's kind of what makes me think it might be fan clutch related. In theory, the clutch shouldn't fully engage until after the engine has warmed up and needs the additional airflow. I'm planning on taking a closer look at that tomorrow. My brother said to get it running and making the noise then shut it off to see if the fan will spin freely by hand to test the clutch. I'm almost thinking the clutch may be locked up though because the fan is hella loud even at start up. Almost like it's engaged full time. I don't know, very confusing situation. I wish it were easier to upload videos so I could share the what the noise sounds like.

Random rant: Whoever at GM thought a clutch fan with METAL blades was a good idea on a <100hp 4cyl motor was a flipping idiot who clearly had no plans on driving one themselves... lol. It's basically the same motor that they put in the Cavalier but turned 90deg for RWD yet didn't opt for also using the e-fan and decided to just add rotating mass to this already struggling engine.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Yeah fan clutches can go bad. I've had one go bad on an old C10 and it did make a sound like you are describing... replaced it with a universal heavy-duty flex blade fan. BUT TODAY, I'd replace it with electronic fans and ditch the old tech.
I would want know for sure that it was the clutch and not the pulley though before doing that. That'd suck to go through the trouble of swapping it to an electric fan just to have it keep making the same noise. :lol: Electric would certainly free up some engine load though.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Noise occurred before replacing anything. Replaced the belt and tensioner hoping it was one of those. The bearings in the tensioner pulley were definitely going bad so, that did need replaced but wasn't the cause of teh whine. Next I had AC compressor replaced because it didn't work but also hoped that it might have been the cause of the noise. I did take the belt off and checked the pulleys by hand. All of them were smooth and not loose.

@Duke Silver I thought PS pump too at first but loading the steering doesn't affect it. Once it starts, volume is constant no matter the engine/accessory load and the pitch of the whine goes up and down with engine RPM. Also the pitch I'm hearing doesn't come through the probe when I touch it to the PS pump.

I'm not even sure I would say it's an intermittent sound. It happens every time the truck is driven but it doesn't do it at startup. Anytime I drive it more than a few miles is when it happens and stays til I shut the engine off. That's kind of what makes me think it might be fan clutch related. In theory, the clutch shouldn't fully engage until after the engine has warmed up and needs the additional airflow. I'm planning on taking a closer look at that tomorrow. My brother said to get it running and making the noise then shut it off to see if the fan will spin freely by hand to test the clutch. I'm almost thinking the clutch may be locked up though because the fan is hella loud even at start up. Almost like it's engaged full time. I don't know, very confusing situation. I wish it were easier to upload videos so I could share the what the noise sounds like.

Random rant: Whoever at GM thought a clutch fan with METAL blades was a good idea on a <100hp 4cyl motor was a flipping idiot who clearly had no plans on driving one themselves... lol. It's basically the same motor that they put in the Cavalier but turned 90deg for RWD yet didn't opt for also using the e-fan and decided to just add rotating mass to this already struggling engine.
Yeah. You could be right try the fan stuff.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Yeah. You could be right try the fan stuff.
I've got some more troubleshooting to do after it heats up outside but I think if the clutch ISN'T making the noise, I at least think it's gone bad. I had to run an errand just now and it's nice and cool out. Before I started the truck I tried to spin the blades and they would only spin about a 1/4/ to 1/2 turn. I get there's gotta be SOME resistance when not engaged so it will actually spin the blades but does that seem right for a clutch fan that's not engaged? I was out driving for about 30min and it never even got 100% warmed up. It also was not making the noise when I got home and when I spun the blades again after I shut it off it still only spun a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I'm gonna do the same thing later today after it gets hot out.

So, what I THINK might be happening is that the clutch is bad and once the engine finally gets warm enough to need it to engage, THAT'S when it starts whining. I don't fully understand how those work or why it would produce the whine but that seems to be the series of events that leads to it.

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I've got some more troubleshooting to do after it heats up outside but I think if the clutch ISN'T making the noise, I at least think it's gone bad. I had to run an errand just now and it's nice and cool out. Before I started the truck I tried to spin the blades and they would only spin about a 1/4/ to 1/2 turn. I get there's gotta be SOME resistance when not engaged so it will actually spin the blades but does that seem right for a clutch fan that's not engaged? I was out driving for about 30min and it never even got 100% warmed up. It also was not making the noise when I got home and when I spun the blades again after I shut it off it still only spun a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. I'm gonna do the same thing later today after it gets hot out.

So, what I THINK might be happening is that the clutch is bad and once the engine finally gets warm enough to need it to engage, THAT'S when it starts whining. I don't fully understand how those work or why it would produce the whine but that seems to be the series of events that leads to it.
Thats about what it should spin, i think

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Yeah, I just talked to my brother and he said the same thing. Guess I just have to wait for it to get hot out and try the same thing to see if the clutch is actually fully grabbing when it warms up.
does the engine temp get hot?

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Well. There is a chance that the fan clutch isn't it.
Oh, I know. This whole ordeal has been a wild goose chase. Anything that you'd normally think is making the noise has either been replaced or checked with a stethoscope confirming they're not it. Now I'm to the "I don't know why this part would sound like that but let's check it anyways" part of it. :lol:

Duke Silver

A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Oh, I know. This whole ordeal has been a wild goose chase. Anything that you'd normally think is making the noise has either been replaced or checked with a stethoscope confirming they're not it. Now I'm to the "I don't know why this part would sound like that but let's check it anyways" part of it. :lol:
Is it automatic or manual transmission?