Your "First-10" Ring of Honor Nominees?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2013
Dude, Rudolph holds Oklahoma State records in career passing, single season passing, single game passing, single season touchdowns, and career touchdowns. He's our single season, total career, and single game total touchdown leader. He beats out Barry Sanders by five touchdowns on single season touchdowns. His single season numbers in 2017 beats out Weeden's 2011 single season passing yards. His single game passing record beats out Weeden's by 40 yards. Not only does he deserve it, he is kind of the high bar in terms of QB's to ever play for us. I think he also has the most career victories of any QB for us. He's an easy add to the ring of honor and likely in the first 10 guys. As far as Hart, maybe he should be later due to the trouble he got us in.

It's interesting how many people don't know how important Mason was to our program and how big his years and his personal numbers were. He holds almost all the passing and touchdown records, season, single game, and career.
Those are all really good points...
Can't blame him for double OL injuries between the Pitt and TCU games. Some of us unfortunately inadvertently do.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Including Jimmy Johnson (only 5 of 19 years head coaching with us) and Pappy Waldorf (only 5 of 31 years head coaching with us) in our RofH is not a good idea. I would not even consider them.
College Football Hall of Fame. And in Johnson's case, the Pro Football Hall of Fame. We don't have a whole lot of those guys around in any capacity.

In five years, Pappy Waldorf:
- won three conference championships. That's tied with Jim Lookabaugh for the most by any OSU coach.
- had a winning record every season. The only other OSU coach to never have a loser was Dave Smith, who only coached one season.
- never lost to OU, the only OSU coach with that distinction.

By percentage, Waldorf is still the winningest coach in program history almost 90 years after he left. His .735 win percentage blows away every other coach we've had, including Gundy.

I'd hear arguments on Johnson, because his record was fairly pedestrian during his time here, but not Waldorf.

Nov 8, 2013
College Football Hall of Fame. And in Johnson's case, the Pro Football Hall of Fame. We don't have a whole lot of those guys around in any capacity.

- won three conference championships. That's tied with Jim Lookabaugh for the most by any OSU coach.
- had a winning record every season. The only other OSU coach to never have a loser was Dave Smith, who only coached one season.

By percentage, Waldorf is still the winningest coach in program history almost 90 years after he left. His .735 win percentage blows away every other coach we've had, including Gundy.

I'd hear arguments on Johnson, because his record was fairly pedestrian during his time here, but not Waldorf.
Yeah, Waldorf had a good stretch at OSU. But just a fraction of the time he had at Northwestern and Cal. His career, and HOF credentials - were not OSU-based. I don't have anything against him and am not totally opposed. Just don't think it makes sense for us compared to other guys. To be honest, I'd probably include someone like Doc Cooper (OSU athletics’ team physician and director of the OSU student health center from 1960 to 1998) before him. It wouldn't be unprecedented. The Phoenix Suns have Athletic Trainer Joe Proski in their Ring of Honor.

I would rather Jimmy Johnson be left out solely for the same reasons Hart Lee should be left out, as it happened under Jimmy's watch.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I would rather Jimmy Johnson be left out solely for the same reasons Hart Lee should be left out, as it happened under Jimmy's watch.
Not just that but Jimmy Johnson's achievements didn't happen when he was OSU. University of Miami needs to recognize him if anyone does, not OSU.

The Ring of Honor should honor those who excelled on the turf in Stillwater, not somewhere else.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
I think to be in a "Ring of Honor", it takes both Performance, and Character.

Fenimore, Sanders, Miller - they pass that test.

I don't think any coach does with less than 10 seasons as HFC. The name should be synonymous with Oklahoma State. Will they vote Nick Saban into the LSU Ring of Honor?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Unless there is more to Blackmons issue's (substance abuse) than I'm aware of, are you sure?
I think we have a miscommunication here. You first said that others with similar problems to Blackmon’s have been recognized. That may be true, but I was just saying they haven’t been recognized to the level of the Ring of Honor because Thurman was the first. It’s intended to represent a very special achievement, and I certainly believe character should factor into it.

Feb 4, 2016
florida
I think we have a miscommunication here. You first said that others with similar problems to Blackmon’s have been recognized. That may be true, but I was just saying they haven’t been recognized to the level of the Ring of Honor because Thurman was the first. It’s intended to represent a very special achievement, and I certainly believe character should factor into it.
So with your line of thinking Coach Sutton shouldn't have a basketball court with his name on it? It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if Blackmon gets recognized. He is way down the list for being considered anyway. If he ever does get this honor I hope you will support him for the great Cowboy he was in his time on campus.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
So with your line of thinking Coach Sutton shouldn't have a basketball court with his name on it? It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if Blackmon gets recognized. He is way down the list for being considered anyway. If he ever does get this honor I hope you will support him for the great Cowboy he was in his time on campus.
A very fair point that Cimarron also previously brought to my attention.

Jun 12, 2007
Regarding this debate about Hart Lee not being in the Ring of Honor because he got the program placed on probation. It is Oklahoma State who participated in this scandal. It was grown men who participated in the scheme to pay him to come here. If it was Hart Lee who brought shame to the program with actions not known by the coaches, then we have a different situation but that is not what we have here. The bottom line is Hart Lee was one of the best receivers this football program has ever had. Gundy's receiving numbers are due to having Hart Lee to throw to. I was at many of the games when Hart Lee played and I can't remember what game it was but the guy was falling backwards toward the ground and still caught the ball. The guy was a human highlight reel. Our actions brought on the sanctions. Don't want probation, follow the rules! We didn't, were caught and were punished. He was one of the programs best ever receivers and should be honored for his play here.

Last edited:
Regarding this debate about Hart Lee not being in the Ring of Honor because he got the program placed on probation. It is Oklahoma State who participated in this scandal. It was grown men who participated in the scheme to pay him to come here. If it was Hart Lee who brought shame to the program with actions not known by the coaches, then we have a different situation but that is not what we have here. The bottom line is Hart Lee was one of the best receivers this football program has ever had. Gundy's receiving numbers are due to having Hart Lee to throw to. I was at many of the games when Hart Lee played and I can't remember what game it was but the guy was falling backwards toward the ground and still caught the ball. The guy was a human highlight reel. Our actions brought on the sanctions. Don't want probation, follow the rules! We didn't, were caught and were punished. It was one of the programs best ever receivers and should be honored for his play here.
Good point, Hart Lee was a great player and he only took what was offered. But neither Hart Lee or Jimmy Johnson or anyone else involved in that set of circumstances deserve their name in the ring of honor. The resulting probation set the program back over a decade and should not be celebrated.