Your "First-10" Ring of Honor Nominees?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Who would you nominate as your "First-10" Ring Of Honor candidates?

Use any criteria you like. Explain why each is your choice.

Mine are (in order):
Thurman Thomas - NFL HOF, College FB HOF, OSU all-time rushing leader. (Retired #34)
Barry Sanders - Heisman winner, NFL HOF, College FB HOF, single season rushing leader (Retired #21)
Bob Fenimore - College FB HOF, 2 time AA, Only OSU player to go #1 in the NFL Draft (Retired #55)
Leslie O'Neal - College FB HOF, 2 Time AA, 6 time NFL Pro Bowler. OSU Career Sack Leader.
Terry Miller - 2 Time All-American, ended career as OSU all-time rushing leader.(Retired #43)
Rashaun Woods - 2 Time AA, ended career as OSU's leading WR in yds/receptions/td
Justin Blackman - 2 time Biletnikoff Winner, 2 time AA, single season yds receiving leader
James Washington - Biletnikoff Winner, AA, OSU's current career leader in total receiving yds.
Mark Moore - 2 time AA. OSU #2 career interception leader (behind only Fenimore).
Brandon Weeden - Only OSU Big 12 Winning QB. Ended career with OSU Top-2 single season passing

That's my list. I think the Top-5 are pretty hard to argue with. The next five has subjectivity with it.

Feel free to share your "First Ten" honorees.

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com

Mine are (in order):
Thurman Thomas - NFL HOF, College FB HOF, OSU all-time rushing leader. (Retired #34)
Barry Sanders - Heisman winner, NFL HOF, College FB HOF, single season rushing leader (Retired #21)
Bob Fenimore - College FB HOF, 2 time AA, Only OSU player to go #1 in the NFL Draft (Retired #55)
Leslie O'Neal - College FB HOF, 2 Time AA, 6 time NFL Pro Bowler. OSU Career Sack Leader.
Terry Miller - 2 Time All-American, ended career as OSU all-time rushing leader.(Retired #43)
Rashaun Woods - 2 Time AA, ended career as OSU's leading WR in yds/receptions/td
Justin Blackman - 2 time Biletnikoff Winner, 2 time AA, single season yds receiving leader
James Washington - Biletnikoff Winner, AA, OSU's current career leader in total receiving yds.
Mark Moore - 2 time AA. OSU #2 career interception leader (behind only Fenimore).
Brandon Weeden - Only OSU Big 12 Winning QB. Ended career with OSU Top-2 single season passing

That's my list. I think the Top-5 are pretty hard to argue with. The next five has subjectivity with it.

Strong list. I’m not sure who I would replace but I would try to work Kevin Williams and RW McQuarters in there somewhere. Would probably replace Woods and Washington, but goodness that’s hard to do, those guys were studs.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Okung
Kevin Williams
Jon Kolb
Sanders (duh!)
Fenimore
Leslie O'Neal

Then we need to establish an OSU Cowboy Room of Honor to list the many guys that have been mentioned above that are possibiy to be named to the OSU Ring of Honor at a later date. Otherwise, we'd need to add a few more rings inside Ior outside) the stadium for all to behold.
There are so many qualified candidates and this honor has been long overdue for our football program. Too see so many great players that have played at our unversity can only be even more impressive to recruits and their families.
It may just give us an extra edge (that we need) in recruiting, plus remind us proudly what we may have forgotten over the decades.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
That's a great list but in my opinion Gundy has to be in there. Throw out his coaching and just go on his playing career. He's Top Ten and there's really no argument. The second best QB after Weeden with a much longer career and he's the all-time Big 8 leader in passing. Nobody says it but he and Hart Lee are a big part of Barry and Thurman being so successful. Nobody could load the box on those guys or Gundy would have shredded them with Hart Lee and the other good receivers we had back them.

Oct 30, 2007
A couple names to add to the discussion are Neil Armstrong & Mike Gundy.

Neil Armstrong was a 2-time AA, he led the nation in receiving for 2 years, and he played & coached in the NFL. He was a big part of the 1945 MNC team. He might be the first WR I would put in the Ring of Honor.

Mike Gundy was a great player here. He held our all time passing record until spread offenses exploded. He has been an instrumental part of making this a top 25 program. He's likely to end up in the college football HOF. I would put him in the Ring of Honor after he retires.

Mar 8, 2010
On Terry Miller, you omitted that he was also a Heisman runner-up and two time finalists for that award. Fans also seem to forget that Terry was our first national super star running back!

Nov 6, 2010
I don't know how anyone can leave Rashaun off the list. I know we've had better athletes at the position, but he was the best pure receiver to ever play here IMO. Beat OU twice when they were national title contenders as well.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Sanders
Gundy
Hart lee
Fenimore
O’Neil
Weeden
Rudolph
Walt Garrison
Armstrong
Miller
Kolb
Okung
Williams
Left several off

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow

Mine are (in order):

I agree, it’s difficult to argue the top 5, however, since you referenced using any criteria we like, I believe the person should have represented and unless deceased continue to represent the university very well. Therefore, for starters, I cannot include Blackmon in there.