Wyoming “Pistol Pete”

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I was watching a news story about Wyoming and saw Pistol Pete on this guy‘s hat. I realized it looked a little yellow instead of orange, and must be a Wyoming Cowboys hat I thought they were no longer able to use our Pistol Pete as their mascot image.
186ED354-AF70-4D29-9791-1AF09A438873.jpeg

Sep 25, 2008
Dallas/Stillwater
I believe you are thinking of New Mexico State that cant use it anymore.

"The legal battle lasted four years. UW actually filed for trademark rights 11 days before OSU did though the federal government granted it to the Okies. The terms of the deal are pretty cut-and-dried: The school's colors have to accommodate the logo and OSU has to have those three letters on the chaps and Wyoming's version has to feature the name on the Cowboy's hat.
According to the Oklahoman, OSU has been using the caricature since 1930. UW, 1966.
These two schools weren't the only ones using this logo. New Mexico State was, too. "Was" is the keyword."

https://7220sports.com/who-does-pistol-pete-belong-to-wyoming-or-oklahoma-state/

Aug 17, 2006
My mother-in-law bought me some Pistol Pete Christmas lights a few years ago. They looked odd in the bag. After I plugged them in, I realized from the maroon glow that they were from New Mexico State. NMSU and Wyoming's claims to Pistol Pete have always irrationally annoyed me.

Somehow I don't know this, but what is the origin of the caricature? Who commissioned it? Who created it? I've always found it odd, if OSU was using it almost 30 years before Wyoming, that Wyoming has any claim to it.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
I believe you are thinking of New Mexico State that cant use it anymore.

"The legal battle lasted four years. UW actually filed for trademark rights 11 days before OSU did though the federal government granted it to the Okies. The terms of the deal are pretty cut-and-dried: The school's colors have to accommodate the logo and OSU has to have those three letters on the chaps and Wyoming's version has to feature the name on the Cowboy's hat.
According to the Oklahoman, OSU has been using the caricature since 1930. UW, 1966.
These two schools weren't the only ones using this logo. New Mexico State was, too. "Was" is the keyword."

https://7220sports.com/who-does-pistol-pete-belong-to-wyoming-or-oklahoma-state/
Great handle

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Yeah they’re still trying to sue Warner Brothers over Yosemite Sam because they say they invented him first.
So you know Oregon’s duck is really Donald Duck because of Disney’s relationship with the schools president or something close to that.

Just maybe, a thinking tech fan should approach both the fans and Warner about some funding rights and have the fans agree to change their tattoos?

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
So you know Oregon’s duck is really Donald Duck because of Disney’s relationship with the schools president or something close to that.

Just maybe, a thinking tech fan should approach both the fans and Warner about some funding rights and have the fans agree to change their tattoos?
Personally I like that ASU's Sparky is Walt Disney... LOL.

download.jpg

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Personally I like that ASU's Sparky is Walt Disney... LOL.

View attachment 96819
from Wikipedia:
Sparky the Sun Devil is the official mascot of Arizona State University.[2] Originally the ASU athletic teams' mascot was an owl, then became a "Normal" (because ASU was founded as a normal school). It was later changed to a bulldog in an attempt to make the school – Arizona State Teacher's College at the time – appear more in line with Yale and other universities that held a higher level of respect.[3] The State Press, the student newspaper, ran frequent appeals during the fall of 1946, urging the Bulldog to be replaced by the new Sun Devil. On November 8, 1946, the student body voted 819 to 196 to make the change. On November 20, as reported by the Arizona Republic, the student council made it official. The following day, the first Arizona State team played as the Sun Devils. Two years later, alumnis and Disney illustrator Bert Anthony designed "Sparky", a devil holding a trident[2] (colloquially referred to as a pitchfork[4]). Anthony is rumored to have based Sparky's facial features on that of his former boss, Walt Disney.[5]

Mar 8, 2010
from Wikipedia:
Sparky the Sun Devil is the official mascot of Arizona State University.[2] Originally the ASU athletic teams' mascot was an owl, then became a "Normal" (because ASU was founded as a normal school). It was later changed to a bulldog in an attempt to make the school – Arizona State Teacher's College at the time – appear more in line with Yale and other universities that held a higher level of respect.[3] The State Press, the student newspaper, ran frequent appeals during the fall of 1946, urging the Bulldog to be replaced by the new Sun Devil. On November 8, 1946, the student body voted 819 to 196 to make the change. On November 20, as reported by the Arizona Republic, the student council made it official. The following day, the first Arizona State team played as the Sun Devils. Two years later, alumnis and Disney illustrator Bert Anthony designed "Sparky", a devil holding a trident[2] (colloquially referred to as a pitchfork[4]). Anthony is rumored to have based Sparky's facial features on that of his former boss, Walt Disney.[5]
Thanks! Very interesting. So like our UCO, Arizona was its state’s “normal school” at one time - a teacher college!

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Two years later, alumnis and Disney illustrator Bert Anthony designed "Sparky", a devil holding a trident[2] (colloquially referred to as a pitchfork[4]). Anthony is rumored to have based Sparky's facial features on that of his former boss, Walt Disney.[5]
Swear I found an article from 2020 that said this rumor was "confirmed"... Anthony really did create Sparky as a caricature of Disney as a snarky jab at his ex-boss. :laugh: