WVU going for preseason herd immunity!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
WVU going for preseason herd immunity! Joining clemson and lsu as programs that understand it's better to get everyone infected now when they are fully rested, rather than during the season when their bodies are worn down and fighting off the virus much more difficult.

West Virginia’s athletic department announced updated COVID-19 testing results Saturday, and the news revealed an additional 19 football players have tested positive.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
WVU going for preseason herd immunity! Joining clemson and lsu as programs that understand it's better to get everyone infected now when they are fully rested, rather than during the season when their bodies are worn down and fighting off the virus much more difficult.

West Virginia’s athletic department announced updated COVID-19 testing results Saturday, and the news revealed an additional 19 football players have tested positive.
I’ve advocated that strategy for OSU since Amen was positive. Infect the entire team, recover, and be ready for the season.
Some may call that insensitive, but in my youth it was standard practice if one kid in a family got chicken pox then the mom purposely exposed the other kids in the family - get it over with.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
I’ve advocated that strategy for OSU since Amen was positive. Infect the entire team, recover, and be ready for the season.
Some may call that insensitive, but in my youth it was standard practice if one kid in a family got chicken pox then the mom purposely exposed the other kids in the family - get it over with.
I'm glad we have people around the team who understand medicine in the 21st century.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If football season gets canceled I say we round up all the people who refused to wear and mask and shoot them. Or let them move to certain states and secede from the union. Or export them to Canada and Mexico.
No, just arrest all the rioters, looters, and criminals and move them to one state and lock the border. Then, people wash hands, distance, and those at risk take precautions. That should help mitigate things greatly.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
If football season gets canceled I say we round up all the people who refused to wear and mask and shoot them. Or let them move to certain states and secede from the union. Or export them to Canada and Mexico.
LMAO masks....

Playing hide and go seek with a contagious virus will never work unless you have 100% compliance. 100% compliance will never happen under any scenario. The CDC also tells Americans not to smoke because it will kill you, yet here we are....

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
LMAO masks....

Playing hide and go seek with a contagious virus will never work unless you have 100% compliance. 100% compliance will never happen under any scenario. The CDC also tells Americans not to smoke because it will kill you, yet here we are....
No there some rocket science.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
i could see a scenario where conferences decide not to play football, but some teams in those conferences decide theyre playing anyway, even if they have to go it alone.

If the SEC, as expected, plays football, i dont see fsu, clemson, and ohio state being okay with not playing.

So maybe OU decides not to play, and that through Oklahoma politics that stops Oklahoma state from playing. kansas has little to gain from playing.

Austin is liberal.

Maybe it's just kstate, WVU, and texas tech, tcu baylor, and iowa state from the big 12 that play. they would have to schedule teams like Notre Dame(who says they are 100 percent playing), Ohio State, and sec teams. I think mac teams would play power 5 teams bc they're financial lives depend on those games.

it will be interesting to see how this plays out. WVU's president has said wvu is absolutely going to play fall football. There are no ifs and buts.

colin1497

Never throw the Venus in the Spider 3 Y Banana!
A/V Subscriber
Jun 20, 2008
He said that in May. If your opinions on the pandemic haven't shifted at least a little since May, there might be something wrong with you.
What if we’ve been saying since May that we are messing this whole thing up, the reopening look like they were planned by 2 year olds, and this thing’s going to be a $&!- show in a dumpster fire by the time school should start?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
LMAO masks....

We don't have to have 100% compliance with vaccines for them to protect weaker members of the population. That is where we actually get the term "herd immunity", the immunity of the larger population of the herd protects the weaker members (herd immunity is NOT allowing a pathogen to run rampant through a population until it saturates the population, killing off whomever it might kill, which basically describes the Black Death).

Now I'm about to LMAO at you, because you're a moron who doesn't know what he's talking about. From textbooks in use in nearly every medical school and pharmacy school in the country:
GnG herd immunity 1.png

GnG herd immunity 2.PNG

Harrison Internal Medicine herd immunity.png

Jawetz Medical Micro herd immunity.png

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
LMAO masks....

P.S. We have laws against smoking in public in confined spaces now. Why do we have them? Because you can be a moron and smoke, but you can't be a moron and subject others to your smoke.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
What if we’ve been saying since May that we are messing this whole thing up, the reopening look like they were planned by 2 year olds, and this thing’s going to be a $&!- show in a dumpster fire by the time school should start?
Unless you predicted that we'd make some serious gains in June, have them undone in July, but also lower the death rate, all while getting a split among conservatives about mask mandates where Alabama puts one in place, but Georgia and Nebraska fight the mayors of their population centers to prevent them from having them within their cities....oh and in most cases it's mostly the 20 somethings going to bars that are ruining it for everyone. I'm no fan of the guy by any means, but the trump rally seemed to be a minor event relative to the bars.

Oct 28, 2019
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Herd immunity depends on the R-0 (R naught) of the Virus. This CCP virus has seems to have an R-0 of between 1.4 and 1.8 depending on how careful the public is in following guidelines. That puts the herd immunity at around 50% which means that number of people are no longer infectious. Be careful and follow the guidelines. CSWMD

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
I'm glad we have people around the team who understand medicine in the 21st century.
Interesting. The age group most of these kids are in is the same group who aren't being killed by it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Interesting. The age group most of these kids are in is the same group who aren't being killed by it.

This pandemic has brought ought the absolute worst in humanity, willing to be so cavalier with their health for the sake of a game. Fortunately, in addition to people who understand 21st century medicine, we also have mature adults (at least some) running the programs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN

Desths get the headlines but it's more than that. Not knowing the long term health consequences, if I'm an athlete that is going to be a high round draft pick, I'd seriously consider sitting out if I'm not sure my school is taking this seriously (or at least take out an insurance policy although I'm not sure if that can be covered now).

You aren't going to die, but say you get it bad enough that it puts you in the hospital and you have lung damage. It increases your chance of going pro in something other than sports.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

Desths get the headlines but it's more than that. Not knowing the long term health consequences, if I'm an athlete that is going to be a high round draft pick, I'd seriously consider sitting out if I'm not sure my school is taking this seriously (or at least take out an insurance policy although I'm not sure if that can be covered now).

You aren't going to die, but say you get it bad enough that it puts you in the hospital and you have lung damage. It increases your chance of going pro in something other than sports.
MRI scans of lungs of asymptomatic people show permanent damage.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
No, just arrest all the rioters, looters, and criminals and move them to one state and lock the border. Then, people wash hands, distance, and those at risk take precautions. That should help mitigate things greatly.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Separate issue.