Wrestling vs. NC State 2:00 PM

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
Starting this thread before I head to the dual with hopes a few others will be heading that way also.

Really good dual today with 3 top ten matchups at 141-165-285, a lot of other key match-ups throughout the dual that could play a role in NCAA seeding and the two best pound for pound wrestlers in the country in Dierenger and Gwiazdowski from NC-State. 141 and 285 are possible NCAA finals previews and I wouldn't be shocked if either Brock and/or Smith's redshirts are pulled because this is a dual that will be competitive and NC State is good at both 133 and 157.

http://www.okstate.com/news/2015/12/4/WREST_1204154730.aspx

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
Brock's redshirt won't be pulled as he is at the Bob Smith Open. However, Joe Smith is not at the tournament, so I don't know if that's a sign or not.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
NC State wins 19-15. OSU was without Collica at 149, which made things tough. Heil got the huge win at 141, but Boyd took a tough loss at 184 that wound up being the difference.

Really don't see how they don't pull the redshirts at this point. If this is our title year, we might as well go for broke.

NC State seems to have all the makings of a really good dual team. Pretty solid at all 10 weights. This is one OSU should win and probably does if healthy, but by no means a bad loss.

Seth25809er

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Jan 8, 2012
NC State wins 19-15. OSU was without Collica at 149, which made things tough. Heil got the huge win at 141, but Boyd took a tough loss at 184 that wound up being the difference.

Really don't see how they don't pull the redshirts at this point. If this is our title year, we might as well go for broke.

NC State seems to have all the makings of a really good dual team. Pretty solid at all 10 weights. This is one OSU should win and probably does if healthy, but by no means a bad loss.
Just got home from the dual, not the best outing, but with Collica in the lineup OSU wins.

Boyd's match was sort of the back breaker of the dual, last toss up match for OSU to win that would've won the dual. I do like going forward with Schafer at 197 though vs. the mix of Rogers and Boyd as I don't think Rogers is big enough for 197 and even though he beat Boyd recently I think Boyd's more competitive there. Schafer lost to a better guy, but was in the match and I think can at least qualify at 197 and hopefully score points.

I'm with you on the redshirt's especially at 157. Smith dominated WVU's guy at a tournament a few weeks ago and he finished 3rd at a really tough tourney at Vegas this weekend. Tough to tell without seeing him wrestling tougher competition, but Smith looks like he could be an All American and Marsteller looks like he'd be lucky to qualify for the tournament. Adding those guys to the lineup seems to be the best move, not sure why they haven't done it yet.

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Attendance announced at the dual: 3,004.

Noticed there are MANY senior citizens attending the wrestling duals.

I bet we all go back to the good ole days of Bedlam being sold out months in advance and on statewide TV.

We go back to the incredible dual win streaks.

Bedlam duals where the winning fans would chant "Poor Aggies" or "Poor Sooners"

Back when Coach Rodrick and Chesbro were in charge.

Now, I see very few young fans including students in attendance.

The only beam of light seems to be Iowa (42,000 fans at Grapple on the Gridiron....ugh, gotta give'em credit)

Times have changed.

You would think with over 20,000 students, there would be more attending.

Sadly, I think it will only get worse once us old geezers pass on.

(Sorry, didn't mean to turn into Debbie Downer guy)

Go Pokes!

Aug 10, 2004
Stillwater
Did we completely miss the boat on Chance? Did he wrestle tough competition in high school? He looks to have zero offensive moves.I have never seen such a highly recruited kid look so below average.Anyone has any insight? Would he be much better at 165?