Wrestling Schedule

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 11, 2004
Enid, OK
www.faulklawfirm.com
Any thoughts, predictions for this years schedule? Frankly I'm pretty disappointed. The last match of the year (against OU) is the only compelling home dual. Iowa is in Arlington, which sucks. OKC would have been fine.

Stanford, Missouri, Iowa (and a 2nd OU match) all out of Stillwater...

Anyway, I think we go 16-2 and lose to Missouri and OU (1X) in my way too early prediction. We have 3 or so weights to work out and see what they look like. Agree, disagree?

OSU Releases 2021-22 Wrestling Schedule | Pistols Firing (pistolsfiringblog.com)

Aug 19, 2006
Any thoughts, predictions for this years schedule? Frankly I'm pretty disappointed. The last match of the year (against OU) is the only compelling home dual. Iowa is in Arlington, which sucks. OKC would have been fine.

Anyway, I think we go 16-2 and lose to Missouri and OU (1X) in my way too early prediction. We have 3 or so weights to work out and see what they look like. Agree, disagree?

OSU Releases 2021-22 Wrestling Schedule | Pistols Firing (pistolsfiringblog.com)
Sounds about right. I think this is just a reflection of the current state of NCAA wrestling. The Big 12 isn't the "it" conference anymore. The Big 10 has taken that mantle.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005

I have no idea what OU is returning but I thought they were giving up on the sport.

Dec 21, 2008
They have pulled a couple elite level recruits this week. Fantastic for them, the sport, the conference and for osu wrestling. We NEED them to survive and succeed. I think the schedule sucks not having any more big 10 duals. The sport needs duals, win or lose. I hate the Gundy approach of taking games you’re most likely to win. Not fun to drive from Tulsa to watch us beat Drexel on a Sunday afternoon

Sep 6, 2014
Absolutely terrible schedule and will not prepare us for nationals at all. I'm sick of wrestling teams like Drexel, Bucknell, Lehigh, Minnesota for the millionth time plus the crappy big 12 affiliate teams like Air Force, Little Rock, South Dakota State etc

And Missouri is clearly the best team in the conference, at least going into the season

Dec 21, 2008
Probably a strategic ploy. If we get beat by a Big 10 team our guys fall to that 8-10 seed area. If they don't wrestle them we get better draws especially if a guy wins the Big 12 and we get that 8-3 seed area generally.

Gundy approach playing 3 crappy teams

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Probably a strategic ploy. If we get beat by a Big 10 team our guys fall to that 8-10 seed area. If they don't wrestle them we get better draws especially if a guy wins the Big 12 and we get that 8-3 seed area generally.

Gundy approach playing 3 crappy teams
Try again... the real problem is none of them want to come down to Stillwater and face us so we are forced to go to them when they actually agree to it. The only reason we got Penn State to come to Stillwater is because it was setup by the National Dual people and Penn State did not have a choice in the matter. I mean if you look at it from their perspective it makes sense somewhat. Why come down here and have a decent chance at losing when they already have a slate full of hard dual just in conference.

Nov 8, 2013
I think South Dakota State could actually be the 2nd toughest home dual (after Iowa State?). They got AJ Nevills at heavyweight (transfer from the "late" Fresno State wrestling program, filling in a historically weak position for them). They're not one of the crappy affiliates even though they were terrible in Stillwater a couple of years ago.