Wisdom?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Where does the wisdom you present on this board and in daily life come from...and why?

May God bless your day!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
It was smarmy,
It was preachy,
It was patronizing

All in all I give it a 9.5/10 one of the top ten humble brags I have seen on this board.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
It was smarmy,
It was preachy,
It was patronizing

All in all I give it a 9.5/10 one of the top ten humble brags I have seen on this board.
Well that didn't work then as that is the exact opposite of the intent behind the post. Sorry it came across that way to you....

Sep 22, 2011
Well that didn't work then as that is the exact opposite of the intent behind the post. Sorry it came across that way to you....
Just a word to the Wise (LOL), if your post sounds like a sermon, might want to delete it and save it for your Sunday night devotional. We are all adults here and have no need for your patronizing advise on Wisdom and humility.

Jul 9, 2011
earrth
A couple of quotes I like about wisdom:

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is technically a fruit and not a vegetable. Wisdom is knowing that a tomato would not be good in a fruit salad." From a worldly perspective, wisdom is the ability to aptly and efficiently apply knowledge based on experience and logic.

Spiritually it refers to the ability to recognize what is and is not important in our spiritual lives and prioritize according. Ecclesiastics 1:2 "Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity." In the original Hebrew text the word meant more like " a wisp of smoke" rather than "vanity" as we use it. In other words things of this earth are temporary and fleeting.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Just a word to the Wise (LOL), if your post sounds like a sermon, might want to delete it and save it for your Sunday night devotional. We are all adults here and have no need for your patronizing advise on Wisdom and humility.
Well, coming across as arrogant was certainly not the intent...but giving a perspective from personal experience in this crazy last year was. I do tend to post spiritual things on Sundays and have, off and on, for a while...just thought I would add that one. One thing you might find interesting is that I posted it out of frustration with other "Christians" who place so much importance on politics as to do insane things like storm the capital. Point being, you and I likely agree on some of that. The fact is, I'm certainly NOT wise, more often than not and needed the reminder myself as well. My previous posting patterns, however, disqualify me to many on this board as someone to take advice from...

It was also an invitation to debate what others find as "wisdom." I don't know why I thought we could bridge the gaps in theological and spiritual matters and discuses what gives people comfort and wisdom in days like these, especially when we claim to all be "adults."

Anyway, have a Blessed week Cody.

Last edited:

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You really don't understand how condescending that post was?
Not really, the post was made right after I listened to a talk about when and why Christians should take to the streets in protest. The jest of the matter was I didn't lock step agree with the talk and I didn't think it applied forgiveness and mercy enough as I don't think many / most of us are in a place spiritually to protest in purity (i.e. we (me too) need to take the beam out of our own eye prior to removing the splinter from societies eye, especially one in which we are "foreigners." ) I was also a little bit frustrated with some of my close spiritual friends concerning how things went this year and the way they seemed to look at politics as savoir....maybe I shouldn't have posted it in the mindset I was in. But, that was the main point of my post (i.e. My opinion that we, as Christians, should truly attempt to be what Christ was). Nothing was meant to offend or to imply that I had reached "wisdom." YOU KNOW I certainly haven't. Sorry to anyone who found it offensive. May you have a Blessed and remarkable day!

Btw, I edited the initial post because I don't want to be offensive and if it came across that way I need to remove it.

Last edited:

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
It was smarmy,
It was preachy,
It was patronizing

It was also hypocritical.

Lots of defendants find "Jesus" in jail so to speak.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Not really, the post was made right after I listened to a talk about when and why Christians should take to the streets in protest. The jest of the matter was I didn't lock step agree with the talk and I didn't think it applied forgiveness and mercy enough as I don't think many / most of us are in a place spiritually to protest in purity (i.e. we (me too) need to take the beam out of our own eye prior to removing the splinter from societies eye, especially one in which we are "foreigners." ) I was also a little bit frustrated with some of my close spiritual friends concerning how things went this year and the way they seemed to look at politics as savoir....maybe I shouldn't have posted it in the mindset I was in. But, that was the main point of my post (i.e. My opinion that we, as Christians, should truly attempt to be what Christ was). Nothing was meant to offend or to imply that I had reached "wisdom." YOU KNOW I certainly haven't. Sorry to anyone who found it offensive. May you have a Blessed and remarkable day!

Btw, I edited the initial post because I don't want to be offensive and if it came across that way I need to remove it.
face palm polar bear.jpg

Sep 22, 2011

There was nothing offensive to me in it, just really, really cringe and patronizing, it brings nothing to my life but a wry smile and maybe a chortle, so you do you.

Oct 30, 2007
I recently stumbled across Plato's Allegory of the Cave. It's almost haunting to think about the things we think we know that are really just a shadow of reality.

There's an old saying that before you can be old and wise, you first must be young and stupid. Knowledge isn't all the difficult to obtain, but wisdom only comes through experience.

One thing that Rack originally posted that I agree with is that we need to listen to each other. The ability to have a civil conversation with someone from a differing viewpoint is becoming a lost art. Congress would get a lot more done if they would sit down and have civil discussions instead of resorting to tribalism. It's very frustrating to watch.

Those are some random incoherent thoughts on this topic from someone with very little wisdom. :D