Wisdom to know the difference

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.”

I believe every news broadcast that we watch or news article we consume should be proceeded by this prayer and then acted upon in this manner. We live in a triggered time, an uncertain future, and a time of turmoil world wide. It's up to us to remain calm and become wise in this process. We should think, be personally willing to change as needed and adapt as we go.

We all know this board is fairly split between mindsets who think we are headed in the right direction as a society and those who do not, or some combination there of.

It really doesn't do a great deal of good for us to argue and debate each other on long held beliefs and opinions. Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

The only thing that matters, in my view, is that I make absolutely sure that I don't write others off, nor dismiss them just because I have a different opinion or belief. Courage to change the things I can.

I believe that everyone on this board, young or old, rich or poor, ou fan (well maybe not them) or not, has the ability and courage to change their attitude about others on this board and to act in love in our responses. I also believe our arguments will do little to change another persons core beliefs and biases, especially in this impersonal environment. The wisdom to know the difference.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
“God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.”

I believe every news broadcast that we watch or news article we consume should be proceeded by this prayer and then acted upon in this manner. We live in a triggered time, an uncertain future, and a time of turmoil world wide. It's up to us to remain calm and become wise in this process. We should think, be personally willing to change as needed and adapt as we go.

We all know this board is fairly split between mindsets who think we are headed in the right direction as a society and those who do not, or some combination there of.

It really doesn't do a great deal of good for us to argue and debate each other on long held beliefs and opinions. Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

The only thing that matters, in my view, is that I make absolutely sure that I don't write others off, nor dismiss them just because I have a different opinion or belief. Courage to change the things I can.

I believe that everyone on this board, young or old, rich or poor, ou fan (well maybe not them) or not, has the ability and courage to change their attitude about others on this board and to act in love in our responses. I also believe our arguments will do little to change another persons core beliefs and biases, especially in this impersonal environment. The wisdom to know the difference.
Certainly I am always willing to discuss the thinking of any person or party but it does no one good to revert to name calling. Surely we can act that way to each other...can't we>

Apr 14, 2009
What about the folks that stormed the capital on Jan 6th? I have no use or forgiveness for them and no use for anyone that supports the Ridiculous notion that Trump got cheated.And he should be put back into office. To do so is traderous to our republic. End of story.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
What about the folks that stormed the capital on Jan 6th? I have no use or forgiveness for them and no use for anyone that supports the Ridiculous notion that Trump got cheated.And he should be put back into office. To do so is traderous to our republic. End of story.
So let me start by saying I was disgusted by what happened that day. I'm not a republican or democrat so I don't have a "favorite" in the argument. I think any time a people group (or an individual for that matter) feels like it doesn't have a voice that will absolutely lead to frustration and that frustration will come out in some way shape or form. Do I think it should EVER come out like that? No. And just like when a child throws a tantrum, the tantrum should not be okay, but the adult should look at what the kid is trying to say.

No matter how ludicrous the message a group should have a voice. Even if it was a bipartisan panel who hosted an open house to listen to their complaints and accusations I feel like that might have abated some of that venom.

Edit: Even the language in your post; "I have no use". Are you only interested or friendly to people who you have a use for? I doubt that's actually true but that language certainly sends a poor message.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

I love this. If we could look at people as humans first (mothers, daughters, brothers, fathers, etc) and their political persuasion maybe 10th on the list of what makes them who they are we'd be on the right track! I do understand the emotion that comes behind all the political goings on, but even that fact SHOULD make each other pause. The passion that is there is there because BOTH SIDES LOVE OUR COUNTRY. Common ground.

That prayer is as solid as they come.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
So let me start by saying I was disgusted by what happened that day. I'm not a republican or democrat so I don't have a "favorite" in the argument. I think any time a people group (or an individual for that matter) feels like it doesn't have a voice that will absolutely lead to frustration and that frustration will come out in some way shape or form. Do I think it should EVER come out like that? No. And just like when a child throws a tantrum, the tantrum should not be okay, but the adult should look at what the kid is trying to say.

No matter how ludicrous the message a group should have a voice. Even if it was a bipartisan panel who hosted an open house to listen to their complaints and accusations I feel like that might have abated some of that venom.

Edit: Even the language in your post; "I have no use". Are you only interested or friendly to people who you have a use for? I doubt that's actually true but that language certainly sends a poor message.
I don't think I can 100% agree with you here. With your general point I can agree, but that middle paragraph I can't get behind. By going so far as doing that, you've (to them) validated their conspiracies which is dangerous. Even if the panels finds no evidence to support their claim, you've told them they have a valid enough claim to look at, which they didn't. All they had were conspiracy theories and lying political leaders and by telling them it's something worth looking at, all you would have done was extended the build up and given them hope.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

From a Biblical perspective, sin entered the world with Adam, and it's been broken since. I don't think it's more broken now than any other time in history, nor is it any better.

The problem is when people (Christians, in this context) start worshiping man-made systems as if they can do God-like things. For example - when people place their faith in government or politicians. Such faith is misplaced. Another example - when people fear government or politicians. Such fear should be reserved for the God that holds the keys to death. Both expressions are identical. They are both idolatry.

So......I think it's prudent to understand that these worldly systems, people, experiences, etc....are broken and have their limits. They literally can't be perfect. They will always fail. There will always be turmoil. They also can't really be mixed effectively. "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's...." comes to mind.

It's also unreasonable to expect a person with an atheistic or non-Biblical worldview to agree with the Christian perspective or hold them to similar standards.

So......it makes conversations tough without a lot of mutual respect, humility, open-mindedness, trust, confidence, and the ability/willingness for both sides to listen to make any meaningful impact. In that sense, it really seems to work best in the context of long-standing relationships that have legit equity. Notice that none of this is really possible via social media..........

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I don't think I can 100% agree with you here. With your general point I can agree, but that middle paragraph I can't get behind. By going so far as doing that, you've (to them) validated their conspiracies which is dangerous. Even if the panels finds no evidence to support their claim, you've told them they have a valid enough claim to look at, which they didn't. All they had were conspiracy theories and lying political leaders and by telling them it's something worth looking at, all you would have done was extended the build up and given them hope.
Agree with what you're saying. Agree with what he's saying about 'having a voice', but I draw the line on pretty much having the right so express something and that's it. You're not owed something because you have a 'voice', it's simply your right to use that 'voice' and let the chips fall where they may.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK

Not validated their conspiracies, validated their voice. It would not take long to do a brief inquiry and provide proof that there concerns were, beyond a doubt, a conspiracy. They did have some strange statistical data (such as the massive percent increase of voters compared to any other election; and no I'm not saying that confirms their conspiracy) along side never before seen access to voting. Most of the other "evidence" was anecdotal for certain. And I think you minimize the lying political leaders. If you have faith/trust in an individual with power who is supposed to be in the know and they are the ones pointing out the odd statistical data, etc that makes it very difficult for that group of people to see it any other way.

Either way, the best way to diffuse that situation is to make them feel heard.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
From a Biblical perspective, sin entered the world with Adam, and it's been broken since. I don't think it's more broken now than any other time in history, nor is it any better.

The problem is when people (Christians, in this context) start worshiping man-made systems as if they can do God-like things. For example - when people place their faith in government or politicians. Such faith is misplaced. Another example - when people fear government or politicians. Such fear should be reserved for the God that holds the keys to death. Both expressions are identical. They are both idolatry.

So......I think it's prudent to understand that these worldly systems, people, experiences, etc....are broken and have their limits. They literally can't be perfect. They will always fail. There will always be turmoil. They also can't really be mixed effectively. "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's...." comes to mind.

It's also unreasonable to expect a person with an atheistic or non-Biblical worldview to agree with the Christian perspective or hold them to similar standards.

So......it makes conversations tough without a lot of mutual respect, humility, open-mindedness, trust, confidence, and the ability/willingness for both sides to listen to make any meaningful impact. In that sense, it really seems to work best in the context of long-standing relationships that have legit equity. Notice that none of this is really possible via social media..........
It is sad to me how much time christians spend on politics and getting themselves worked up about things that (shocker) they have no control over. It feels like Peter taking his eyes off Jesus as he's walking towards him on the water. I'm not saying being active in politics is bad. In fact I think it's good! Just not to the degree that so many take it to.

And along those same lines I LOVE Jesus' wisdom and message in the "render unto Caesar" passage. I see Him trying to communicate that we should worry less about government and taxes and more about people and their hearts. Essentially he is saying "Ceasar's image is on the coin so fine, give that to him. My image is on you and that is what's important, and that is what I'm after".

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Not validated their conspiracies, validated their voice. It would not take long to do a brief inquiry and provide proof that there concerns were, beyond a doubt, a conspiracy. They did have some strange statistical data (such as the massive percent increase of voters compared to any other election; and no I'm not saying that confirms their conspiracy) along side never before seen access to voting. Most of the other "evidence" was anecdotal for certain. And I think you minimize the lying political leaders. If you have faith/trust in an individual with power who is supposed to be in the know and they are the ones pointing out the odd statistical data, etc that makes it very difficult for that group of people to see it any other way.

Either way, the best way to diffuse that situation is to make them feel heard.
I didn't say it would actually validate their conspiracies, just that it would validate it to them and then would just drag things out. I understand the argument you're making and can see where my idea has potential flaws though because you have to deal with the "who decides which concerns are valid and which need squashed".

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I didn't say it would actually validate their conspiracies, just that it would validate it to them and then would just drag things out. I understand the argument you're making and can see where my idea has potential flaws though because you have to deal with the "who decides which concerns are valid and which need squashed".
This is the problematic part, right here. The fact that there is, apparently, so much will out there from people to decide what 'needs squashed' and what doesn't is insane.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
This is the problematic part, right here. The fact that there is, apparently, so much will out there from people to decide what 'needs squashed' and what doesn't is insane.
If people wouldn't go off the deep end with their conspiracies it would make it a lot easier to view more plausible ones as being credible concerns. They're doing it to themselves... It's kind of a "cry wolf" situation.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
If people wouldn't go off the deep end with their conspiracies it would make it a lot easier to view more plausible ones as being credible concerns. They're doing it to themselves... It's kind of a "cry wolf" situation.
They have the right to 'cry wolf' though, that's the deal. I don't have a right to say I don't like what they're saying, so take their ability to say it away. People have been going off the deep end forever, they just have an ability today to have that voice amplified to reach more people. Doesn't change anything but the reach of their voice.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
They have the right to 'cry wolf' though, that's the deal. I don't have a right to say I don't like what they're saying, so take their ability to say it away. People have been going off the deep end forever, they just have an ability today to have that voice amplified to reach more people. Doesn't change anything but the reach of their voice.
That's fair. Just seems like a waste of taxpayer resources and potentially dragging out a dangerous idea just to satisfy the whims of conspiracy theorists. Like I said though, I can see where that idea can become problematic.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
That's fair. Just seems like a waste of taxpayer resources and potentially dragging out a dangerous idea just to satisfy the whims of conspiracy theorists. Like I said though, I can see where that idea can become problematic.
Hillary repeatedly called a sitting President of the US a 'Russian asset' following her loss. Her claims weren't immediately labeled 'unfounded' by pretty much every media outlet that exists. Meanwhile, media worked feverishly to discredit Trump's claims of election fraud and suddenly found extensive use for the adjective 'unfounded.'

Do I like what either of them was saying? No.

As far as wasting taxpayer resources, it's bound to happen. I interned at CSPAN for two summers while I was in JB school at OSU, so I've run audio and cameras for more Congressional sessions than I can remember, and trust me, wasting of taxpayer resources happens every day.