Why isn’t Baylor recognized as OSU’s Rival?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
If we played Arkansas they would be a natural rival from the natural state. It’s only about an hour and a half from Tulsa and 2 and a half from Stillwater. We would have built up some bad blood and recruited similarly had they opted for the big 12 rather than sec. In fact they would have been the perfect fit when Missouri left.
Arkie would never leave the SEC to join a conference with Texas in it. Ever.

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
If we played Arkansas they would be a natural rival from the natural state. It’s only about an hour and a half from Tulsa and 2 and a half from Stillwater. We would have built up some bad blood and recruited similarly had they opted for the big 12 rather than sec. In fact they would have been the perfect fit when Missouri left.
Baseball wise...I feel like there's a rivalry between us. Just seems like we are always in the same regional

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
Yeah, why is it that exactly? I think they hate Texas more than the Goons.
of course they do. If Arkie had a B-8 rival, it was oSu - we played them home and home quite a few times -46 games is a lot in a non conference matchup.

Arkansas got tired of UT bossing around the SWC, and when the opportunity presented itself, they left.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I would think for two universities to be rivals it's one of two things.

Long standing competition which is mostly un-interrupted between the two for any given sport.

Football for example:

Yale vs. Princeton (Every year dating to 1873)

Or long standing competition that includes multiple sports..

Bedlam series between OSU and OU.

Or it could become a heated rivalry with fewer games because something more current such as Texas A&M-LSU now both in the same conference this cross border game shares a recruiting geographical area.

Aug 29, 2004
Austin, TX
Yes, “BayLOL”. With the whole Art Briles thing of late...they have been considered a joke in the College Football community. However, us OSU fans shouldn’t be laughing too loud.

According to Winspedia. Oklahoma State and Baylor University have met 38 times, with the first game being played all the way in 1914.

The series is 20 wins OSU to 18 wins for Baylor. During the last decade, Mike Gundy has only won 4 times against Baylor. Baylor is currently at a 2 win streak against the Pokes.

What is it about them? On the surface, they don’t seem like anything special. Sure, they had the great RG3 which granted the university their fist Heisman winner but even that guy never saw a victory against the POKES.

Our recent win against Baylor was in 2017 (Rudolph and Washington last year) where they had a temporary coach before hiring Matt Rhule. Before that? All the way back in 2013.

O-State has only won against Baylor (in the last decade) in 2010, 2011, 2013 & 2017.

Here’s the link to the series history. We bear (pun intended) so much anger against the Gooners and the Longhorns but we ourselves have our rivalries against other Big 12 teams. The Texas team in purple could also be considered our rivals as well but at least we usually take care of business against them more times than not.

As we take in the bye-week. Let us hope that the team is not overlooking Baylor as an easy win.

Is Baylor worthy of being called our rivals?
Since the advent of the Big 12 in 1996, OSU had totally dominated Baylor in football until the 2015 season (the year of OSU's 10-0 start).
In my opinion, the major change beginning that year and continuing since (minus the 2017 year after the rape scandal) has been a substantial upgrade on Baylor's side in physical play on both sides of the ball. Briles did a good job recruiting speed and skill position players during his first 6 years, but OSU always won the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, until 2015. Matt Ruhle continued with a very physical brand of football, which was very apparent in Baylor's win in Stillwater last year.
I'm not sure how Aranda's team will perform in this area. I do know they lost a large amount of defensive starters in the NFL draft this spring.

w0lfe

Wrangler
Aug 23, 2010
Texas OU will always be the main rival of the conference and I think that's a huge recruiting advantage, not sure if they considered Nebraska an equal rival. I heard a former player say that the rival with Nebraska was business, and Texas was personal.
It would benefit osu if they had a rivalry like that but I don't think it could ever get to that point. It almost feels like the big football rivals are set in stone after 100 years. It would have been nice to forge something with A&M but that will never come back because you know they won't do an annual out of conference game

Sep 6, 2014
I think we were definitely building a nice rivalry with Tech back in the early 2000's when Leach was coach and they were consistently winning around 9 games and becoming relevant. I think if he stayed Tech would have been in a similar situation to OSU right now, consistently top 25 and occasionally in the Big 12 title hunt

Sep 6, 2014
You don't get to just call something a rivalry. They are developed over time with certain reasons that both fanbases acknowledge. OU-OSU is a rivalry for obvious reasons. Same state, same conference, several overlapping familes and friends. OU-Texas developed as blueblood programs in adjoining states with a tradition of "meeting in the middle" during the Texas State Fair. BU-TCU makes sense with both being religious schools within close proximity second fiddle to the big state universities and same league for most of their existence (with the BU joining the Big XII and TCU being left behind for several years more than igniting the flames). We had a lot of competetive games and bad blood with Tech for a while, then it was Baylor, aggy to some extent, but none of them have any consistent history before the Big XII. Our only real rival is OU. They have two main rivals, UT and us, and probably NU too if they ever play again consistently. You can't just force a rivalry because we don't like them and have been back and forth with them for the last 10 years.

Exactly, you don't get to just call something a rivalry. Which is why Bedlam football really isn't a rivalry based on an 89-18 record just as Bedlam wrestling isn't due to our domination

swamppoke

ole 3 putt.
A/V Subscriber
Feb 11, 2004
The Sand Shaker
Exactly, you don't get to just call something a rivalry. Which is why Bedlam football really isn't a rivalry based on an 89-18 record just as Bedlam wrestling isn't due to our domination
Rivalries aren't limited to a single sport.

Certainly, there are, "football rivalries", and OU/UT is one of the most famous, along with UM/tOSU, and ND/USC (off the top of my head).

But there are also true school "rivalries" - like Army/Navy, oSu/OU, (historical) UT/aTm, probably UF/UGA, and Auburn/Bama. records in particular sports don't even enter into the equation determining the rivalry.