Why are we ranked 62nd in Football recruiting?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 20, 2007
I know we have only 11 commits, compared to most with 15-25 commits. We have 1 4 star and the rest are 3 stars.

How can our recruiting slip so much with all the success we have had? What gives? What’s the real story or the story behind the story?

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I know we have only 11 commits, compared to most with 15-25 commits. We have 1 4 star and the rest are 3 stars.

How can our recruiting slip so much with all the success we have had? What gives? What’s the real story or the story behind the story?
Why are all the teams traditionally ahead of us in recruiting rankings ranked behind us in ratings based on performance on the field? What’s their story behind their story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nov 20, 2007
Why are all the teams traditionally ahead of us in recruiting rankings ranked behind us in ratings based on performance on the field? What’s their story behind their story?

Didn’t need the sarcastic comment.

Relevant response would be:
1.) How many Scholarships total do we have?
2.) Normally in times past our ranking has been
low, but not this low. I would have at least
expected us to be in the 25-40 range.
3.) With 11 commits how many schollys
Do we have left?
I personally like Gundy as coach, not taking shots, just wondering.

Nov 22, 2020
Belton, TX

Do we have left?
I would think that, after 17 years of winning with lesser recruits, services might give a bump to anyone with a Gundy offer. That said, it hasn't happened so we CONTINUALLY beat teams that have recruited "better" than us.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Do we have left?
I asked a more logical question.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

You answered your own question

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
If I was as bad at my job as the recruiting sites are at theirs, I would not have a job.
What if their goal is not too accurately rank thousands and thousands of high school kids each year but rather to just get subscribers and views from big fan bases who sometimes care more about recruiting battles than football games (Texas for example) by using very little resources and just ranking prospects based on who and how many major college football programs offer them?

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
What if their goal is not too accurately rank thousands and thousands of high school kids each year but rather to just get subscribers and views from big fan bases who sometimes care more about recruiting battles than football games (Texas for example) by using very little resources and just ranking prospects based on who and how many major college football programs offer them?
Very aggy

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN

Do we have left?

It's a really small class so far. And despite their overall ranking it's September so we spent the summer taking kids we wanted to get. If we see a bunch of new offers go out to kids we are competing against FCS schools against then we missed alot but so far it's fine.

A couple of things to consider. We have benefited really well from the COVID year but that now means less scholarships available to new players. Also with transfer rules we want to hold scholarships for not only expected roster needs next year but a couple of spots for kids who luckbox NIL deals we can't match and have to replace. Both of those make us more selective about freshman who may or may not pan out.

Nov 20, 2007
It's a really small class so far. And despite their overall ranking it's September so we spent the summer taking kids we wanted to get. If we see a bunch of new offers go out to kids we are competing against FCS schools against then we missed alot but so far it's fine.

A couple of things to consider. We have benefited really well from the COVID year but that now means less scholarships available to new players. Also with transfer rules we want to hold scholarships for not only expected roster needs next year but a couple of spots for kids who luckbox NIL deals we can't match and have to replace. Both of those make us more selective about freshman who may or may not pan out.
Thank you for the reply. This is more in line with the discussion I was hoping to have. What you conveyed seems to make the most since for our current recruiting position.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
The class is lower than usual for several reasons.

1.) It's small. OSU will likely only take 15 HS prospects. Due to the COVID year, OSU should still return a ton from this year's team.

2.) OSU has just missed on some high level recruits, particularly offensive lineman, that it seemed they may have gotten before the summer. Some of that is NIL, some of that is not closing out the Big 12 championship, some of that is just missing on the coaches' part.

3.) I suspect the staff is leaving a handful of scholarships open for transfers.

Despite the low overall ranking, the average 247 player rating is either the highest or 2nd highest in the Gundy era. So pound-for-pound there's still quality in this class. It's just lacking that marquee star (Shettron, Daniels, etc.)

Finally, a couple names to keep an eye on before NSD: Warren Roberson and Marjayvious Moss. Those would go a long way to making fans feel a little better.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk