Who's going to the Iowa State game?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Basically 6 hours from Tulsa to Des Moines...lots of lodging in the state capital for Friday night and that would leave only a 36 min drive to Ames in the morning for the early kick and then drive home in the evening or stay another night someone in route. Thinking about going...anyone else making the drive?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Basically 6 hours from Tulsa to Des Moines...lots of lodging in the state capital for Friday night and that would leave only a 36 min drive to Ames in the morning for the early kick and then drive home in the evening or stay another night someone in route. Thinking about going...anyone else making the drive?
Really wish I could, but I can't, so no. If you can, go for it. Supposed to be really nice weather.

Dec 9, 2013
Highly recommend. Very nice fan base. Stadium is kinda cool and a good atmosphere.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
My wife is from Iowa so we planned to go in 2011 but it fell through. We in 2015 when Mason Rudolph broke their hearts. My wife cheers hard for OSU, but her family was cheering for ISU and her nephew cried after we came back to win. So long story short, she said that is the only game she has no desire to do again lol.

But I think you’ll have a great time. We were a few minutes late for that game because we had been in Iowa City for the Grapple On the Gridiron. So we didn’t get to take in all the tailgating, but it looked great. I will say their fans boo a lot and think everything is rigged against them.great fans, but they seem to justify losses as being caused by the refs more than any other fan base I’ve seen.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Seems the OSU allotment are sold out and tickets on Ticketmaster Stub-hub are $150 to $250 bucks. We went once in 2006. They redid their stadium since then.

Jul 26, 2005
Broken Arrow, OK
I figure they are a ton like us...Farm belt, Wrestling fans, Basketball fans, neat up and comer new fanbase...likely very nice people?
I've been there a couple times and fans were pretty nice. My cousin's spouse was probably the biggest d*ck I encountered. Only time I've met him and never need to see him again. lol. Their stadium used to be like Lewis Field but they've made major improvements to it. Pasture east of the stadium is where all the tailgating happens and they're typically pretty friendly.

OkState1974

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 6, 2007
Tulsa
Only visit to Ames was 1988 to see Barry sew up the Heisman. Late November, very cold. They tried like crazy to slow him down and keep him off the field. They would have long methodical and we would score in 3 or 4 plays. He had 32 carries, 293 yards, four touchdowns.

Aug 8, 2006
Tulsa, OK
I was also there in 2011, no desire to return. :angry:
At the time I had a parasite I had brought back from a business trip to India, my gas was so bad everyone around me were convinced the porta potty’s under the bleachers were broken. People ten rows up were screaming about the smell. One guy said “If someone is letting those out please tell me, I just want to give you a high-five”. :lol::pistols:

Jan 14, 2006
I was also there in 2011, no desire to return. :angry:
At the time I had a parasite I had brought back from a business trip to India, my gas was so bad everyone around me were convinced the porta potty’s under the bleachers were broken. People ten rows up were screaming about the smell. One guy said “If someone is letting those out please tell me, I just want to give you a high-five”. :lol::pistols:
This is the funniest thing I've heard today. Thanks for sharing.

Nov 2, 2009
Iowa Hill Country
Don't go to Hickory Park if you go to Ames. It's the definition of mediocre.

I think any Poke fan that makes the trip will have a blast, win or lose. Our fanbases are very similar and Ames and Stillwater are similar communities. ISU fans have a very favorable impression of OSU. There's a definite camaraderie among the Big 8 ag schools, and it seems like we'll be sticking together for the foreseeable future. I would imagine you'll get lots of beer and brats funneled your way, and Saturday looks like a great day for football on the northern plains.

Have fun! I'll gladly field any gameday or Ames/Des Moines inquiries or recommendation requests anyone has. Hope you enjoy everything but the final score.

Nov 6, 2010
Don't go to Hickory Park if you go to Ames. It's the definition of mediocre.

I think any Poke fan that makes the trip will have a blast, win or lose. Our fanbases are very similar and Ames and Stillwater are similar communities. ISU fans have a very favorable impression of OSU. There's a definite camaraderie among the Big 8 ag schools, and it seems like we'll be sticking together for the foreseeable future. I would imagine you'll get lots of beer and brats funneled your way, and Saturday looks like a great day for football on the northern plains.

Have fun! I'll gladly field any gameday or Ames/Des Moines inquiries or recommendation requests anyone has. Hope you enjoy everything but the final score.
What side of the stadium should I look for parking. I'd like to walk through your tailgating area and maybe grab a beer and a burger before the game somewhere you'd recommend. I plan to get in town about noon.

Jul 23, 2004
Tulsa, OK
I will be there and it will be my first time in Ames. I am really looking forward to it. All of the Iowa State fans that I have interacted with at the Big 12 Basketball Tournaments and when they have come to Stillwater has always been positive and they were all great to be around.

I can hardly believe that for following OSU football since the 1970's I have never made it to Ames, but now it will be part of my completed bucket list.