Whiskey Talk

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
I'm a fan of Noah's Mill... Notice you have a bottle of Smoke Wagon... any thoughts on that? I believe it is out of Vegas and some decent reviews,
I remember liking it but honestly it's been a bit and I can't remember exactly what the "flavor profile" was like.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
I was at Total Wine for the first time in a long time. So I finally got a bottle of Joseph Magnus. The two places I normally go don’t carry it. Pretty pumped about it. Plus picked up some Michter’s US1 bourbon and total wine select series of Makers. Good day at the liquor store.

On a side note, the sales guy had talked me into a bottle of Glen Fohdry 29 year old scotch. Looking back, I‘m kind of glad my wife was with me. At $190 and me not being much of a scotch guy, I’m glad my wife gave me the stink eye and in her own way vetoed that purchase. I liked it alot, but I have a couple of different bottles Macallen already that I like just as much.

Sep 11, 2021
Wisconsin
I'd say try different kinds to see what your like and what you love. I'm partial to single-malt Scotch. I like rye. I really can't drink bourbon. If it turns out you like Scotch (and with other types), you then try different brands to see what suits you. I've had some expensive single-malt Scotch, and if I could afford it, that's all I'd have. But I'm a working man, so I generally drink Dewars.

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
I'd say try different kinds to see what your like and what you love. I'm partial to single-malt Scotch. I like rye. I really can't drink bourbon. If it turns out you like Scotch (and with other types), you then try different brands to see what suits you. I've had some expensive single-malt Scotch, and if I could afford it, that's all I'd have. But I'm a working man, so I generally drink Dewars.
Nothing wrong with Dewars. Always have a bottle in my cabinet.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
Ok guys...every year I by myself a really nice bottle of Bourbon to help ring in the new year.

Anywhere from $100-$300 ish is fine...

Any recommendations?

Aug 16, 2012
Ok guys...every year I by myself a really nice bottle of Bourbon to help ring in the new year.

Any recommendations?
Personally, I hesitate buying bourbon that is that expensive since there are so many nice offerings that are under $100. When I do (or more specifically, when my wife does as she has no qualms spending that much), I usually stick with brands associated with Buffalo Trace Distillery (Sazerac) since I have enjoyed every one of their brands that I have tried. Always worried about spending that much and having a "That is no better than $40 Wellers" moment. Anyway, have gone with each of these at least once and was not disappointed

Eagle Rare 10-year - usually just under $100
Blanton's Special Reserve - wild price range but usually in your window and there are several variations (labels) that can push it over your limit
Elmer T. Lee - usually a bit over your cap but if you are spending $300, why not almost $400? Worth it.

Non-BTD
Woodford Reserve Master's Collection - roughly $150
Elijah Craig 18-year Single Barrel - Typically ranges right around the top of your limit

Just a few I have tried and like.

Pokit N

Gent of Good Intent
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
Lily Lake, IL
Personally, I hesitate buying bourbon that is that expensive since there are so many nice offerings that are under $100. When I do (or more specifically, when my wife does as she has no qualms spending that much), I usually stick with brands associated with Buffalo Trace Distillery (Sazerac) since I have enjoyed every one of their brands that I have tried. Always worried about spending that much and having a "That is no better than $40 Wellers" moment. Anyway, have gone with each of these at least once and was not disappointed

Blanton's Special Reserve - wild price range but usually in your window and there are several variations (labels) that can push it over your limit
Elmer T. Lee - usually a bit over your cap but if you are spending $300, why not almost $400? Worth it.

Non-BTD
Elijah Craig 18-year Single Barrel - Typically ranges right around the top of your limit

Perfect response bud. Thanks!

Jun 14, 2011

Non-BTD

@Pokit N I'll second the Eagle Rare and Blanton's suggestions. Both are excellent. IMO, the Eagle Rare is a bit smoother but the Blanton's has a better flavor. Have heard good things about Elmer T. Lee, but don't have personal experience.

Easily my favorite right now is Bib & Tucker. The 6 year is about $50, but I have been wanting to try their 10 and 12 year. At a glance, the 12 year ranges from $90 to $250+ depending on where you look.

Jan 14, 2006

Non-BTD

Good post, especially the first sentence. I've been into 4 roses small batch lately. Haven't found many I like better and it's $45.

Seems line everytime I buy an expensive bottle I'm underwhelmed. Everybody has their own taste though.

Sep 3, 2009
@Pokit N I'll second the Eagle Rare and Blanton's suggestions. Both are excellent. IMO, the Eagle Rare is a bit smoother but the Blanton's has a better flavor. Have heard good things about Elmer T. Lee, but don't have personal experience.

Easily my favorite right now is Bib & Tucker. The 6 year is about $50, but I have been wanting to try their 10 and 12 year. At a glance, the 12 year ranges from $90 to $250+ depending on where you look.
I agree with the Eagle Rare and Blanton's comment... Eagle rare shouldn't be over $50 but it is just as hard to find now as Blanton's... (I live in Tennessee so I have a little better access then Oklahoma )

Just bought a few bottles of the Bib and Tucker last night got 2 of the 6 year and one of the 12 year. The 12 year was $115 I believe... pretty good but also enjoyed the 6 year. The 12 year has a bit more zip but only 6-10% above the 6 year. Overall both good and will drink them for sure, but not my favorite... (at least not yet!! :) )

Jun 14, 2011
I agree with the Eagle Rare and Blanton's comment... Eagle rare shouldn't be over $50 but it is just as hard to find now as Blanton's... (I live in Tennessee so I have a little better access then Oklahoma )

Just bought a few bottles of the Bib and Tucker last night got 2 of the 6 year and one of the 12 year. The 12 year was $115 I believe... pretty good but also enjoyed the 6 year. The 12 year has a bit more zip but only 6-10% above the 6 year. Overall both good and will drink them for sure, but not my favorite... (at least not yet!! :) )

The Bib & Tucker makes a nice Old Fashion if you are into that. Highly recommend using Luxadro Cherries if you go that route. And I'm jealous of your bourbon access.

jobob85

Drunkle
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009

Any recommendations?
Take a turn and get a bottle of Bushmill 16 Irish Whiskey. Around $120-150 depending on store. And since it's at the lower end of your price range get a bottle of Jefferson Reserve Ocean Aged.