Whiskey Talk

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
One of my favorite single malt scotches is Auchentostan. Pretty inexpensive and easy drinker.

Scored some Buffalo Trace the other day. They were unloading the truck at the liquor store and I got one (there weren’t any on the shelf)!

My go-to Rye is Pendleton 1910.
I was in Nashville a couple months back. They were selling Buffalo Trace at the airport. Should have bought a box....

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
One of my favorite single malt scotches is Auchentostan. Pretty inexpensive and easy drinker.

Scored some Buffalo Trace the other day. They were unloading the truck at the liquor store and I got one (there weren’t any on the shelf)!

My go-to Rye is Pendleton 1910.
Some of my everyday sippers are:

Bourbon:
- Buffalo Trace
- Weller Special Reserve
- Elijah Craig Small Batch
- Old Granddad 114
- Wild Turkey 101

Scotch:
- McCallan 12
- Glendronach 12
- Balvenie Double Wood
- Compass Box (any of their blends, but particularly Spice Tree and Oak Cross)
- Monkey Shoulder
- Sheep Dip

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I was in Nashville a couple months back. They were selling Buffalo Trace at the airport. Should have bought a box....
Most liquor stores are pricing BT @ 2-4 x suggested retail. I found a small town liquor store with liter bottles for $35. I bought 5 of them.
Also recently scored a Weller Full Proof for $69.99. I have seen it at secondary for $400+.

Aug 16, 2012
Holidays were good to me. All new to the shelf since Christmas. Some have had, some are new. All will be enjoyed immensely.

From the left if you cannot make them out.

Larceny Kentucky Straight Bourbon - Small Batch...Good, not great. A little harsh for my taste as a regular, but will be in the lineup frequently.

1792 Kentucky Straight Bourbon - Barrel Proof...Kicks you in the head pretty fast but is a strong front runner.

Sazerac Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey...Have not tried yet. Sazerac is distiller of Buffalo Trace so thought, What the hell?

Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye Limited Edition...Very nice, not as smooth as some like BT, but still a good sipper. Sucks any way but neat.

Basil Hayden's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey....A staple. This is actually a second, unopened bottle as a good friend thought I might have polished off the bottle I brought back from Louisville (not quite).

Bulleit Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey....Similar to Larceny IMO. Will see plenty of playing time.

Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Distiller's Select...Been sleeping if you have not had this one yet. Top shelf all the way.

IMG_1587.JPG

Jun 14, 2011
Been meaning to post on this thread for a while to add my two cents as a fellow enjoyer of the spirit of choice. I know all drinks are to-each- their own, so here are my thoughts on what is in my cabinet. Ranked from the top down as to what I enjoy the most. For reference, my palate prefers less bite/harshness in my whiskey and bourbons most of the time. Also, I don't drink very often, so some of the bottles in our cabinets have a little dust...

Jack Daniel's Sinatra Select - So smooth, so good. Comes in a a crystal bottle too, fancy, I know and expensive, though not on the Pappy's level. Great sipping with a rock or two.
Blantons (not shown in the pic.) - Recently tried this, and o-baby, good stuff. Great flavor and mostly smooth overall. Opened and tried last night for the first time so recency bias has it near the top of my list.
Jim Beam Signature Craft - This is a great one that was buried at the back of the shelf. I forgot how good it was until just the other day when I pulled everything out while cleaning.
Bib & Tucker - This is my favorite modestly priced sipper. Very smooth and some good after-note flavors. I always recommend this to anyone who may be a novice in whiskey department. Also, it has a pretty cool bottle.
Wild Turkey Long Branch - Randomly picked this up and have enjoyed it so far. As still smooth like the previous ones noted above, but starting to get into a bit of a bite.
Crown Royal Monarch 75th (not in the pic) - Pretty solid and smooth from our friends to the north. I actually haven't had this one in a while, so I need a memory refresher asap.
Makers Cask Strength - I really like this one cut with a touch of water or melted cubes. Has a little more bite than I prefer, straight up.
Knob Creek Single Barrel - Getting more "spicy" as we move down the list. Good mixing agent, but again. more bite than I like straight.
Jim Beam Single Barrel / Jack Single Barrel - These are pretty similar in my opinion, though I want to get everything out again here soon and do a tasting to compare and refresh the palate. Both have a good bite to them and work better as mixers (for me) as a result.

Jim Beam Brown Rice (no longer available) - A few years ago JB did a limited run/signature series of a few different things (Rye, Brown Rice, etc. don't recall the other flavors) My favorite whiskey of all time is that Brown Rice. I don't know what it was (as it was 5 to 8-ish years ago), but hot damn it was good. After the limited run, i spent more time online and call around than I would prefer to admit, trying to find a box.

Random Thoughts - In general, just having a few drinks with friends, plain old Jack or Jim are very reasonably priced options to mix or have with a few cubes. Rye's are ok for me sometimes. Templeton's Rye is probably the best one of those I have tried. Still haven't tried any Pappy's yet, and I don't know how intrigued I am to even pay for a shot knowing I can get a full bottle of something for the same price. That said, I'm sure I'll bite the bullet and fork over the $ if I ever come across it. My experience at a couple of whiskey tastings have told me I'm not a fan of the 4 Roses brand for whatever reason. Side note, my wife found some honey that had been stored/aged in a whiskey barrel. Yes. If you are on this thread b/c you like the drinks discussed, I would recommend trying to find it or something to the like.

Whiskey.jpg

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I got advice that the best bang for the buck you can get for sipping whiskey (Bottled in Bond) was Evan Daniels White label, so that’s what I’ve been drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
I have no business posting in this thread, but I'm just fine with Maker's.
Think you give too much credence to those of us that are posting. IMO there is nothing wrong with Maker's. We are just throwing out experiences with different ones. I stuck with one brand forever but now have a good time trying others. I do the same with cigars.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Y'all have me itching to buy some damn whiskey.
I used to get that feeling every week. I would usually start researching something new on Monday or Tuesday and then hit the store on Friday and buy a couple of bottles. One of something new that I haven’t had before and one of something I just really like but may be low on.

The problem is that I don’t drink anywhere near two bottles a week. So I pretty much ran out of space to store them and my wife was giving me the stink eye. So I only make that trip once a month or so. Yet another reason why it is a good thing I’m not single. It would be like an episode of hoarders, only with bottles of whiskey instead.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I used to get that feeling every week. I would usually start researching something new on Monday or Tuesday and then hit the store on Friday and buy a couple of bottles. One of something new that I haven’t had before and one of something I just really like but may be low on.

The problem is that I don’t drink anywhere near two bottles a week. So I pretty much ran out of space to store them and my wife was giving me the stink eye. So I only make that trip once a month or so. Yet another reason why it is a good thing I’m not single. It would be like an episode of hoarders, only with bottles of whiskey instead.
You must have a window into my world. :oops:

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Redbreast 12 is a solid single pot Irish. Powers and green spot are good as well, but redbreast still my favorite.

Macallan is my go to scotch, haven't ventured into bourbons or rye much.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012
Redbreast 12 is a solid single pot Irish. Powers and green spot are good as well, but redbreast still my favorite.

Always like to hear new names. Not familiar with Redbreast but it is now on my list for future ventures.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida

Good calls.

Redbreast 12 is my favorite Irish whiskey that is actually affordable. One of my favorites overall. I have an open bottle available year round.

I feel the same about Macallen as far as scotch goes. Though I probably mix in an equal amount of Glenmorangie just for something different.

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa

Good calls.

Redbreast 12 is my favorite Irish whiskey that is actually affordable. One of my favorites overall. I have an open bottle available year round.

I feel the same about Macallen as far as scotch goes. Though I probably mix in an equal amount of Glenmorangie just for something different.
I have to be careful keeping redbreast in stock at the house, its so tasty im liable to drink it every day. So I have to find excuses to buy it. We are in the process of buying/selling a house so when we close on either, that seems like a good occasion for a bottle!