Where will we be ranked?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You know what's really really cool is that we were the best team on the field in every game this year...who saw that coming? Wow, what a fun year!

Nov 6, 2010
You know what's really really cool is that we were the best team on the field in every game this year...who saw that coming? Wow, what a fun year!
I'm going to call that a bit of a stretch. I'm comfortable saying our defense was the best unit on the field in every game this year, which gave us a chance in every game. From there we got a lot of good bounces, and a few bad ones.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
It's a composite of 31 different computer rankings. It can't really be BS. It just is what it is.

That said, Boyd ISR National Champs baby!
Ugh.... yeah it can too be BS. Computer rankings can be just as bad as human poll. It all depends on who wrote the algorithm to set rankings. Case in point. ESPN does a computer ranking named FPI, it still has ISU at 9 and Baylor is down at 15. Even Texas is top 25 in that one. FYI, we are 7 behind OU and then ND.

So takeaway just cause its a computer doesn't mean it's without bias.

Sep 12, 2008
Ugh.... yeah it can too be BS. Computer rankings can be just as bad as human poll. It all depends on who wrote the algorithm to set rankings. Case in point. ESPN does a computer ranking named FPI, it still has ISU at 9 and Baylor is down at 15. Even Texas is top 25 in that one. FYI, we are 7 behind OU and then ND.

Garbage In Garbage Out!

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I'm going to call that a bit of a stretch. I'm comfortable saying our defense was the best unit on the field in every game this year, which gave us a chance in every game. From there we got a lot of good bounces, and a few bad ones.
Who did we play that was the better team on the field??? I'll answer that, no one.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If you get inside the opponents ten yard line 4 times but only come away with 9 points and your offense has 4 turnovers, you were not the best team on the field that day. Period.
How much better is one team than the other if the better team gives you 4 turnovers yet still has an amazing opportunity and should have won?...While I understand that day we didn't come out on top...that doesn't mean we weren't the better team...We did pretty much manhandle them in Stillwater even with 3 turnovers...point being, best team doesn't always win.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Why the need to single osu out? Is he a gooner? Guy is an idiot. We’ll see ya a year from now no worse than top 15 imo - “exceeding” expectations as always…
His "not high on OSU" was a response to a tweeter that said "did you forget about this years #7 OSU" and instead of being honest and saying "yes" he replied "not high on OSU" so not singling us out but a reply to a logical question with a dumb a** reply.

Jan 14, 2006

For sure. Any one computer ranking can be BS based on what the programmer wanted. What I posted was a composite of 31 computer polls.

Unless you're asserting that 31 polls, averaged together, which have us 5th (rightfully) are still somehow collectively BS. They are just averaged results.

Jun 16, 2008
Maryland
For sure. Any one computer ranking can be BS based on what the programmer wanted. What I posted was a composite of 31 computer polls.

Unless you're asserting that 31 polls, averaged together, which have us 5th (rightfully) are still somehow collectively BS. They are just averaged results.
I read your statement as "it's done by computers so it's accurate". That thought was what I was responding too.

I agree that we should be around the 5 or 6 mark.

Dec 16, 2019
Tulsa
I told everyone 2 weeks ago we would be ranked 7th. It’s time you people quit whining and just listen to me when I post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I wonder if we will be the same for preseason rankings next year? It wouldn't surprise me if they moved us outside of top 10.