Where should the Cowboys be ranked? #9 on CFP

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
We should move up to 7, BU to 8 and OU to 10. It seems they are claiming we will be in the Championship game now that we are beating TT and we will play either OU or BU. If we beat OU we play BU and if we lose to OU we play BU. However if Tech beats BU it will be OSU vs OU.

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
We should move up to 7, BU to 8 and OU to 10. It seems they are claiming we will be in the Championship game now that we are beating TT and we will play either OU or BU. If we beat OU we play BU and if we lose to OU we play BU. However if Tech beats BU it will be OSU vs OU.
If we lose to OU, we get them again in the title game. We win the tie breaker with Baylor head to head, if needed. And OU would only have 1 conference loss. We need to beat them in Stillwater and hope Baylor beats Tech so we can play Top 10 OU and then Top 7 (at least) Baylor. That should allow us to jump Notre Dame and maybe Cincinnati.

Just keep winning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Very realistic path to the top 4. Only really need 5 of the 6 to happen.

1. Win out. Duh
2. Ohio State wins out.
3. Georgia beats Alabama
4. Oregon loses 1 of 2 games to Utah
5. Cincinnati loses a game or OSU just jumps them with a Big XII title.
6. Notre Dame loses or OSU just jumps them with a Big XII title.

Final Rankings…
1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Oklahoma State
4. Cincinnati
5. Notre Dame

If they put Notre Dame in front of OSU after we win out then I will admit I’m wrong. There is no way they put in 11-1 Notre Dame with a 1-1 record against ranked opponents over a 12-1 Big XII champion OSU with a 5-0 record over ranked opponents. It just isn’t going to happen.

If Cincinnati wins out they would be 2-0 against ranked opponents and would not have a Power 5 conference title.

If OSU wins out, I think we jump both.

Still very realistic. Down to needing 3 of 5.

1. Win out.
2. Georgia beats Alabama
3. Winner of Ohio State and Michigan loses to Wisconsin
4. Cincinnati loses to ECU or Houston or we jump them with a Big XII title.
5. Notre Dame loses to Stanford or we jump them with a Big XII title.

We should be #7 and don’t have a chance to catch Georgia. So, we need to pass 3 of the other 5 teams ranked in front of us. Loser of Ohio State Michigan takes care of itself, so need to pass 2 of 4 teams. Could use some help, but it wouldn’t shock me if we jump Cincinnati and Notre Dame with a Big XII title. That Utah win over Oregon was HUGE!

Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Have you seen Michigan and Michigan State play football this year? No way they both beat Ohio State. I think Ohio State is favored by 19 this weekend and 10 next weekend.

It doesn’t even matter that the Ohio State defense is suspect because Michigan and Michigan State have anemic offenses.
You're right. It's impossible that Ohio State could lose two tough football games.

That never happens, ever.
Last time Ohio State lost consecutive games was 2013 and the last time they lost to either Michigan or Michigan State was 2015 and you think they will lose consecutive games?

And 6 out of the 9 of those games since 2015 Michigan and Michigan State have been ranked. Including a couple of wins over Top 5 Michigan who is always overrated. Average margin of victory in those 9 games was 22 points. They weren’t even close.

I tried to tell you guys.

Nov 18, 2010
If there was ever a year to leave someone out because they don't have a conference title game, this would be the year. Notre dame only has 1 game to play, against a bottom dwelling Stanford, while the rest of the competition has to play two games, including a conference championship.

Notre Dame's Pac10/ACC schedule is every bit as bad as Cincinnati's.

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
If there was ever a year to leave someone out because they don't have a conference title game, this would be the year. Notre dame only has 1 game to play, against a bottom dwelling Stanford, while the rest of the competition has to play two games, including a conference championship.

Notre Dame's Pac10/ACC schedule is every bit as bad as Cincinnati's.
You're not wrong, but it's freakin' Notre Dame. Everyone wants them at their party.

Also of note, I wouldn't use the SoS argument. Massey has ND at #18 hardest SoS and Cinci at #84. Not really comparable.

PokeIncognito

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 1, 2013
I get why they did it, but the extent to which the FOX guys talked about OU having a path to the CFP was nauseating.
Definitely nauseating, but it did just reaffirm the notion that the decal matters.
Uh, not really. OU had the game wrapped up. The focus was OU and their path to the CFP. The assumption therein is that they win out.

If it was our broadcast it would’ve been the same but for us. Stop with this “woe is me” crap when it isn’t even applicable.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Consider:

1. A 2-loss team has never made it.
2. The SEC championship game is a de facto play-in game for Bama. If the CFP puts them in with 2 losses, their next game would be a rematch against UGA. Can’t believe that’s what the CFP thinks the college football either wants or needs.
3. Putting Bama in with 2 losses means youre probably leaving a 1-loss conference champ, and/or an undefeated G5 team, and/or a 1-loss P5 team (ND) out.
4. The direction of a new CFP format would have all P5 conference champs as qualifiers. Now there are only 4 slots, but passing over a 1-loss conference champ in favor of a 2-loss non champ would seem to thumb its nose at the new format which is clearly what the college football world is begging for.
5. The current version of the CFP was never intended to include a G5 team. If you recall, the current 4-team format includes a provision to give the highest rated G5 team an automatic bid to a NY6 bowl as an accommodation to give the G5 exposure in the major bowls. The G5 commissioners approved this format. Thus, a 1-loss P5 conference champ team will jump Cincy (and ND).
6. The CFP committee has stated in the past that a P5 non-champion must be unequivocally better than other available conference champs to be considered for the CFP. A 1-loss UGA would seem to qualify for such treatment. A2-loss Alabama with a loss to a 3 or 4 loss aTm would not seem to qualify for that treatment over a 1-loss conference champ.

Go Pokes

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Alabama 1 score games:
Florida (5-6)
LSU (5-6)
Arkansas (7-4)

If anyone tries to justify Cincy / OSU not getting in based on “convincing wins” in leu of a 2 loss Alabama is hypocritical and biased….. but that’s how they got into the 2011 MNC

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Alabama 1 score games:
Florida (5-6)
LSU (5-6)
Arkansas (7-4)

If anyone tries to justify Cincy / OSU not getting in based on “convincing wins” in leu of a 2 loss Alabama is hypocritical and biased….. but that’s how they got into the 2011 MNC
Those wins plus the loss to aTm clearly does not make them unequivocally better than other 1-loss teams. And it’s not close.