Where should the Cowboys be ranked? #9 on CFP

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

BS2120

Greenhorn
Sep 4, 2021
OKC
I know the orange colored glass give off a strong haze but this team should be ranked #2. Maybe not on resume wins vs losses but tell me which teams above the cowboys would want to see them on the schedule next Saturday.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Higher than they will be...and NONE of them...

I sincerely think they are a top five team right now...maybe fourth...but will likely still be ranked 7 or 8 at best by the CFP...coaches and AP maybe will rank us higher...computer polls likely will have us where I think we should be...bottom line...go Win at Lubbock and take it one game at a time. That's another huge game building to a crescendo in Bedlam.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
One of those idiots on College Football Final moved Oregon into his top 4 because ... reasons. Never mind they played mediocre at home against a mediocre team and have BY FAR the worst loss among the top 10.
I thought Brando had it right last night when he said Oregon was ranked in Top 4 only because they beat tOSU and CFP Committee likes tOSU.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It's pretty hard to distinguish between the top 8 or so teams this season except for UGA. It's them, then everyone else. That's why we need an 8-team playoff. 4 teams is a joke.

All that said, I think we should be occupying a similar spot as uo held for a while - somewhere around 6 or better. I'm seeing us move up to around #8 in today's rankings.

PokeIncognito

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 1, 2013
I have probably been more objective watching us this year because I didn’t really pay attention to the off-season (out of country). I barely watched the first three games and missed the KSU game entirely.

This team is legitimate playoff caliber. I’m not sure the offense can hang with the playoff field, but the way this team is built, you don’t want to face them in the playoffs.

They’ll probably be ranked 8th at best come Tuesday. A win over Tech, and by nature of the big 10 slate we are, minimum, 6th. A win over OU and we are probably knocking on the door of 4th/5th.

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I have probably been more objective watching us this year because I didn’t really pay attention to the off-season (out of country). I barely watched the first three games and missed the KSU game entirely.

This team is legitimate playoff caliber. I’m not sure the offense can hang with the playoff field, but the way this team is built, you don’t want to face them in the playoffs.

They’ll probably be ranked 8th at best come Tuesday. A win over Tech, and by nature of the big 10 slate we are, minimum, 6th. A win over OU and we are probably knocking on the door of 4th/5th.
1) We'll be 9th on Tuesday.
2) You'll have to provide some better reason that we would jump to 6th after beating TT. I could see moving to 8th if MSU loses, but Notre Dame and Michigan aren't going anywhere.
3) To knock on that door of 4th/5th, you need other teams to lose.

Our ceiling is probably 7th unless a lot of weird things happen.

Jan 14, 2006
I know the orange colored glass give off a strong haze but this team should be ranked #2. Maybe not on resume wins vs losses but tell me which teams above the cowboys would want to see them on the schedule next Saturday.
Based on the last couple of weeks, I agree.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
We'll probably be 9th. I think we should be 6th. I think we should be ahead of Cincinnati, Notre Dame, and arguably Michigan St.

With regard to where I think the Final-4 will ultimately end up:
* I think the SEC Champ and the Big-10 Champ are locks. That's probably Georgia and Ohio State.
* Then the last 2 spots will come down to the Pac-12 winner, the Big-12 winner and possibly the SEC runner up. For the Big-12 winner to be left out, Oregon has to run the table and Alabama has to lose a REALLY close game against Georgia or beat Georgia outright.
* If either of those thinks don't happen, a 1-loss Big-12 Champ (either OSU or OU) will have the most deserving profile of the remaining contenders.

So I think the Big-12 Champ is still very much in the mix, but needs a little help...

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
I don't think Notre Dame can get in the mix due to their loss to Cincinnati. No way Notre Dame can get in over Cincinnati and I really don't think there is any way that the Committee will let Cincinnati join the party....

Dec 2, 2008
SC
I don't think Notre Dame can get in the mix due to their loss to Cincinnati. No way Notre Dame can get in over Cincinnati and I really don't think there is any way that the Committee will let Cincinnati join the party....
Have you not been watching or reading their explanations for how they have ranked teams so far? It makes absolutely no sense.

Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Disregarding potential viewership/ad revenue by leaving out Notre Dame isn't something the committee will do.

It might be the FAIR thing to do, but there are larger concerns here. And fairness is among the last of them. Which, again, is why we will be #9 Tuesday despite deserving much higher.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
This.

As much as we aren't a blueblood, it's 5x worse for Cinci. I feel bad for them and I hatehatehateLOATH the politics and bias in college football.

I am sooooo close to not giving a s__t. But this team has got me sucked in and on the edge of my seat this year.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
1) We'll be 9th on Tuesday.
2) You'll have to provide some better reason that we would jump to 6th after beating TT. I could see moving to 8th if MSU loses, but Notre Dame and Michigan aren't going anywhere.
3) To knock on that door of 4th/5th, you need other teams to lose.

Our ceiling is probably 7th unless a lot of weird things happen.
If we win out….ie the next three games…we are likely in because many others will fall if we do not leaving us room. No one,
Including us is invincible, it’s one game at a time for the next three and we will be in the cat bird seat. All we can control is ourselves but I think that will do it or at least put us in position to spoil the four team playoff.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
https://twitter.com/cfbonfox/status/1459929116585639942?s=21
I agree but think we are better than everyone Sans Georgia the way we played the past three games…of course if we revert to the way we played earlier in the year then no…I wouldn’t agree…but we are on a very good track right now.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
If we win out….ie the next three games…we are likely in because many others will fall if we do not leaving us room. No one,
Including us is invincible, it’s one game at a time for the next three and we will be in the car bird seat. All we can control is ourselves but I think that will do it or at least put us in position to spoil the four team playoff.
Who are these "many others" that are going to lose? That's the part I'm struggling with. Looking at schedules of the teams above us, not seeing a lot of reasonably expected losses.