What's The Answer for MBB?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2008
I'm interested to see us finally play another game on Tuesday. Are we the same team making the same mistakes of poor shooting, turnovers, free-throws, half-court offense that we've seen so far? Or did we actually use this three weeks off that we've had to make improvements?

Dec 21, 2008
A lot goes into rotations…
Poor practice week
Match up vs opponent
Blown defensive assignment
Being selfish and not finding the open man
Etc
We see stuff on the court but there are thousands of decisions and coaching discussions that go into planning and rotational strategies

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
The answer is to cut the salaries and pay the football coaches at a top 10 level. I would trade 10 of Baylor’s basketball championships in a sport no one cares about anymore for one football playoff opportunity

I’m in it for Alabama not Gonzaga

Mar 27, 2008
The answer is to cut the salaries and pay the football coaches at a top 10 level. I would trade 10 of Baylor’s basketball championships in a sport no one cares about anymore for one football playoff opportunity

I’m in it for Alabama not Gonzaga
We could have said the same thing back in the 90's and early 2000's about football when Eddie had us going to Final Fours. It's a good thing we didn't. I enjoy having a good basketball team just as much as I enjoy having a good football team. Why not be Baylor and be good at both? It sure makes January - March a lot more enjoyable when we are decent at basketball and there is something to watch on TV in the football offseason.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
Boynton is a good coach; This year will be a challenge to motivate players because there’s no tourney to point to; and the team lost a generational talent.

I’m ok calling this year a wash; these circumstances have nothing to do with Boynton. He’s good for a young and inexpensive coach. It seems he wants to stay around here.
Based on what criteria is he a good coach?

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Based on what criteria is he a good coach?
winning for his experience - we knew we weren’t getting a vet; running a clean program - the current BS is Underwood, not Boynton;

I’d rather have Bill Self or Jay Wright; but I feel Mike Boynton is worth investing in; This season is a lost cause with infractions that have little to do with him.

I haven’t seen anything to this point that would encourage me to replace him unless we are changing course and hiring a veteran coach.

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
winning for his experience - we knew we weren’t getting a vet; running a clean program - the current BS is Underwood, not Boynton;

I’d rather have Bill Self or Jay Wright; but I feel Mike Boynton is worth investing in; This season is a lost cause with infractions that have little to do with him.

I haven’t seen anything to this point that would encourage me to replace him unless we are changing course and hiring a veteran coach.
I haven't seen anything during his tenure that would encourage me to think anything changes...1 tournament appearance and it took the 1st NBA pick for that to happen and still got kicked in the 2nd round after barely beating a mid-major in the first round on top of having that same player and still only finishing 5th in the conference!!!

He had no business being hired with no head coaching experience. It was a knee jerk hire because of Underwood...but its not working. His teams always play the exact same way with the exact same mistakes over and over.

He will, unfortunately, get this year and next because of the NCAA excuse and he will get 1 or 2 big upsets this year like he has and Ford always did to help reset the clock and quell the noises. Only thing we can hope for is some AD somewhere is dumb enough to want to hire him.

Look, I get it, he is a nice guy, supports other osu sports, says the right things, dives on the floor during practice...yada, yada, yada...but quit saying he is a good coach.

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK

Coach Boynton did rehire the culprit who committed the infractions to be on his staff. Boynton had a seat right next to the guilty assistant coach for the entire year under Underwood, and didn’t know what the guy was doing. Blaming Underwood is wrong.

Sep 23, 2010
I haven't seen anything during his tenure that would encourage me to think anything changes...1 tournament appearance and it took the 1st NBA pick for that to happen and still got kicked in the 2nd round after barely beating a mid-major in the first round on top of having that same player and still only finishing 5th in the conference!!!

He had no business being hired with no head coaching experience. It was a knee jerk hire because of Underwood...but its not working. His teams always play the exact same way with the exact same mistakes over and over.

He will, unfortunately, get this year and next because of the NCAA excuse and he will get 1 or 2 big upsets this year like he has and Ford always did to help reset the clock and quell the noises. Only thing we can hope for is some AD somewhere is dumb enough to want to hire him.

Look, I get it, he is a nice guy, supports other osu sports, says the right things, dives on the floor during practice...yada, yada, yada...but quit saying he is a good coach.
I think Boynton is trying to grow into becoming an HC. I don't think he quite knows who he wants to be as an HC. There are some things he's done well at with PR and some recruiting (not necessarily building) a roster. He comes across as a genuinely good person and hard worker. But some of my concern with his development is what's gone on with his staff. He's had 6 assistants be fired/demoted/leave in his short time as head coach. This doesn't count the support staff. The only person that has stayed at the same spot for his whole time is Keiton Page. The coaching profession is one that has a lot of movement. But there usually is less movement once you get the Big 12 level. It's kind of like our rotation this year. It's like Boynton can't quite make up his mind who/what he wants. We have no identity. MB has an identity of a good guy and good work ethic. But our team has no identity (at least a good one) in how they play year in and year out, game in and game out. I really think that's what's missing.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Begging kids to come back from break early is what he's doing.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
No begging should be required when you're playing Kansas! Thankfully it's not a weekend game or there would be more blue than orange there.
When the bulk of kids won't show up until next week normally, it might be necessary to beg just a little.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 2, 2004
Broken Arrow
I think Boynton is trying to grow into becoming an HC. I don't think he quite knows who he wants to be as an HC. There are some things he's done well at with PR and some recruiting (not necessarily building) a roster. He comes across as a genuinely good person and hard worker. But some of my concern with his development is what's gone on with his staff. He's had 6 assistants be fired/demoted/leave in his short time as head coach. This doesn't count the support staff. The only person that has stayed at the same spot for his whole time is Keiton Page. The coaching profession is one that has a lot of movement. But there usually is less movement once you get the Big 12 level. It's kind of like our rotation this year. It's like Boynton can't quite make up his mind who/what he wants. We have no identity. MB has an identity of a good guy and good work ethic. But our team has no identity (at least a good one) in how they play year in and year out, game in and game out. I really think that's what's missing.
Yep...and a P5 school isn't a place you let someone just figure these things out.

Sep 23, 2010
Yep...and a P5 school isn't a place you let someone just figure these things out.
I don't know. We did this with Gundy and it worked great. That might be where Holder's mindset was. Thought Boynton was smart, hardworking and could figure it out. Didn't pay him much at all.

OU has hired 3 assistants with no HC experience in a row in football now. UNC just hired Hubert Davis with less coaching experience than Boynton. Sometimes you try to evaluate the person and not the resume.

I agree that there are some concerns and eyebrows should be raised. I'm willing to give it some time yet. If the wheels fall completely off during conference which is something I fear.....then my stance might change. Boynton has managed through a lot of adversity. The NCAA appeal seems to be his worst job managing adversity thus far.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina

Coach Boynton did rehire the culprit who committed the infractions to be on his staff. Boynton had a seat right next to the guilty assistant coach for the entire year under Underwood, and didn’t know what the guy was doing. Blaming Underwood is wrong.
Jesus. H. Christ. We’re only a few days in, but we may already have the worst post of 2022 already.

Apr 18, 2021
Edmond, OK
Jesus. H. Christ. We’re only a few days in, but we may already have the worst post of 2022 already.
Can you freaking be anymore clueless. All I did was stat the facts of what lead to the NCAA ban. It’s wasn’t over the $300.00 self reported infraction. It stinks we got the bad end of the penalty compared to others, but it doesn’t excuse what took place.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
Can you freaking be anymore clueless. All I did was stat the facts of what lead to the NCAA ban. It’s wasn’t over the $300.00 self reported infraction. It stinks we got the bad end of the penalty compared to others, but it doesn’t excuse what took place.
Way to double down on being a clueless moron.

Aug 28, 2009
This is quite possibly the dumbest message board post I have ever seen. Holy s#it. Congratulations.