What's The Answer for MBB?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Boynton is a good coach; This year will be a challenge to motivate players because there’s no tourney to point to; and the team lost a generational talent.

I’m ok calling this year a wash; these circumstances have nothing to do with Boynton. He’s good for a young and inexpensive coach. It seems he wants to stay around here.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Weight room single handedly took Obi Muonelo from the most electric freshman in the country to a kid that was a decent 3 ball shooter. He even admitted late in his career that weight room, specifically imbalances while he was rehabbing his leg ruined his shot. Not sure if that's our guys' problem, but it's not nothing.
I think it was the broken leg more than anything.

Sep 8, 2012
Fort Worth
Sep 23, 2010
As long as they are testing asymptomatic, vaccinated kids, this will be a problem for awhile. The CDC changing the isolation time to 5 days instead of 10 days may help.

Sep 23, 2010
Can someone explain what has happened to Ice? This guy was an integral part of the Under 20 FIBA world championship team. What the heck happened to that guy?
Looks like a confidence issue to me. And when that goes as bad as his has gone, it's hard to get it back. It's not from a lack of confidence MB has in him, that's for sure.

Jun 14, 2011
I think D Williams could be a nice player also. He has a good stroke. Seems to have decent handles. Doesn’t take bad shots or make bad turnovers. His defense is ok but he’s athletic enough to play good D.
Not being argumentative, but I humbly disagree. In the few instances he has come down with a defensive board with opportunity to push, it's Lebryan Nash all over again. He drives out of control into a bad situation most of the time. To be fair, this is very much a team issue and seems to happen often with other players as well. Once at the other end of the court, he is not athletic enough or still injured/mentally affected by the injury to the extent he cannot rely on his athleticism to reliably bail himself out.

His shooting is up for debate. Personally, I have seen nothing to indicate he is a D-1 shooter. FT's or otherwise. His motion is clunky IMO. Yes, he is shooting 50% from three, but that is on 4 of 8. Last year, ICE had a lengthy stretch where, statistically, he was our best 3-point shooter and I know where we all sit on his shooting.

All that said, he seems like an excellent character guy and I do hope he turns the corner.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Boynton is a good coach; This year will be a challenge to motivate players because there’s no tourney to point to; and the team lost a generational talent.

I’m ok calling this year a wash; these circumstances have nothing to do with Boynton. He’s good for a young and inexpensive coach. It seems he wants to stay around here.
I think the jury's still very much out on that.

If winning 56% of games and getting by with paying $1million for the BB coach is the goal, then we've reached it.

Dec 9, 2013
Not being argumentative, but I humbly disagree. In the few instances he has come down with a defensive board with opportunity to push, it's Lebryan Nash all over again. He drives out of control into a bad situation most of the time. To be fair, this is very much a team issue and seems to happen often with other players as well. Once at the other end of the court, he is not athletic enough or still injured/mentally affected by the injury to the extent he cannot rely on his athleticism to reliably bail himself out.

His shooting is up for debate. Personally, I have seen nothing to indicate he is a D-1 shooter. FT's or otherwise. His motion is clunky IMO. Yes, he is shooting 50% from three, but that is on 4 of 8. Last year, ICE had a lengthy stretch where, statistically, he was our best 3-point shooter and I know where we all sit on his shooting.

All that said, he seems like an excellent character guy and I do hope he turns the corner.
Right now he’s not a 25+ minutes/night guy but w development he could get to 15-20 minutes. I didn’t mean to imply he would be an all conference player but if our coaches actually established roles he could become a nice complimentary player. Problem is our coaches don’t establish rotations or roles.

A bigger mental hurdle for our players than the No post season has to be the inconsistent rotations and minutes. How can a player ever develop chemistry or confidence when you get jerked around like D Williams has? He started the first couple of games and then went to zero minutes for a stretch. Then looked ok in garbage time. Then got significant minutes back.

Jun 14, 2011
Right now he’s not a 25+ minutes/night guy but w development he could get to 15-20 minutes. I didn’t mean to imply he would be an all conference player but if our coaches actually established roles he could become a nice complimentary player. Problem is our coaches don’t establish rotations or roles.

A bigger mental hurdle for our players than the No post season has to be the inconsistent rotations and minutes. How can a player ever develop chemistry or confidence when you get jerked around like D Williams has? He started the first couple of games and then went to zero minutes for a stretch. Then looked ok in garbage time. Then got significant minutes back.
We agree, the much bigger problem right now is the lack of any consistency from the coaches on the rotations. That would probably streamline a few of our issues.

Regarding D Williams, he could certainly develop into an effort-guy role player, but he has a looong way to go to get there. If he keeps up the effort we see in the games (which is likely being shown in practice and, in my opinion, the reason he is getting any minutes) he could reach some of that potential.