What will the republicans do?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 23, 2018
USA
LOL. Looks like another one who has bought the propaganda.
I'm not sure whose propaganda you think I've purchased. Economics is my field of study, and I've worked in the federal gov't for more than 20 years. While it's not in my job description, I've also spent years studying various policy prescriptions and budget analyses. We Fed lackeys actually tend to do much better under Dem admins, but I'm more concerned about the country than my personal situation.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
This is in response to 85 stupid posts.

The agricultural welfare program goes to folks that for the most part don’t need the money they get. With zero accountability as to how the end user spends it! 23 billion in 2020.
How do you explain that? Other then it being white muddle class welfare I have no answer.
How do you know that? Real farmers, not hobby folks, have to spend extreme amounts of money to make it work. Their net value may be high, but it's an accumulation of nonliquid assets. The trade war and COVID did have a definite negative impact on cattle prices and still is. The only reason commodity prices have gone up is due to the cheapened dollar and the perceived drought in S. America and Asia. I'm not crazy about all the ag subsidies but there are more than a few people I personally know that were at the edge of staying in business last spring when the floor fell out of cattle prices.

Apr 14, 2009
Most businesses have times when they are on the verge of failure. The government doesn’t rescue normal business annually as they have farmers and ranchers over the last 60 years.

Well my wife and I have three businesses between us. We don’t get much help from the government with any of the other businesses.
The meat Packers control the cattle industry. And they siphon off all the money. They are protected from accountability for their Market manipulation by political forces. From what I understand there are about five major Packers. They decide what the market is for cattle.

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
How do you know that? Real farmers, not hobby folks, have to spend extreme amounts of money to make it work. Their net value may be high, but it's an accumulation of nonliquid assets. The trade war and COVID did have a definite negative impact on cattle prices and still is. The only reason commodity prices have gone up is due to the cheapened dollar and the perceived drought in S. America and Asia. I'm not crazy about all the ag subsidies but there are more than a few people I personally know that were at the edge of staying in business last spring when the floor fell out of cattle prices.
This is my conspiracy theory wold but 6 months ago we kept reading articles about how the chinese were telling their people to ration food because they didn’t have enough and not enough money to buy more. Fast forward to today and all of a sudden they can afford grains at these prices? $7 cash price for a bushel of sorghum? What in the world are they doing with it? For years the company I work for couldn’t hardly give the stuff away.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Most businesses have times when they are on the verge of failure. The government doesn’t rescue normal business annually as they have farmers and ranchers over the last 60 years.

Well my wife and I have three businesses between us. We don’t get much help from the government with any of the other businesses.
The meat Packers control the cattle industry. And they siphon off all the money. They are protected from accountability for their Market manipulation by political forces. From what I understand there are about five major Packers. They decide what the market is for cattle.
But yet you rant about farm subsidies? I don't get your complaints about farm subsidies when your three businesses were able to access the PPP program, the SBA program, etc...

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I'm not sure whose propaganda you think I've purchased. Economics is my field of study, and I've worked in the federal gov't for more than 20 years. While it's not in my job description, I've also spent years studying various policy prescriptions and budget analyses. We Fed lackeys actually tend to do much better under Dem admins, but I'm more concerned about the country than my personal situation.
It is an interesting phenomenon around here. Many if the most anti-government people have been suckling the tit the longest, you are certainly not the first. And, claiming economics but ignoring any real economic talk for political stuff is fairly common, too.

Jun 14, 2011
Serious question for the Democrats, and really a pretty easy question that a lot of people struggle with.

In past elections if the guy I didn't vote for won, I just thought, well, most of the American voters thought this was our guy so maybe they know something I don't. I shrug my shoulders and say I hope they're right, let's just see.

This time that's a little different because I don't know if 1000 Americans really voted for Biden. Calm down I'm not talking voter fraud. I'm saying almost all voted against Trump. Which I totally understand. I don't have a problem with that. But did anyone actually vote FOR Biden?
Since no one took an honest approach to your question, I'll try.

First, I will admit that I know, historically and politically, Biden doesn't blow my skirt up (or many peoples skirt's based on my understanding) on getting lots of things done. However, where he excels is putting good, qualified people in positions that matter and then lets them do their jobs. Throughout the next 4 years, I would anticipate there will be far less headlines of personal issues with the cabinet members he selects. And I think think that is a wonderful thing. I don't think the U.S. as whole will be as jeered on the international stage with Biden in office or his pick for Sec. of State. I don't think we will be hearing about Biden pushing the Justice Department to buckle down on the previous administration. He'll let Garland do his job, which to me would be to make sure there are consequences to the actions taken by anyone who breaks the law. I have not done a ton of research on all the cabinet positions, so I won't get into that until I can give a more educated response.

Here is the list of everyone with some links to read more in depth as you have time.
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/17/933848488/biden-administration-heres-who-has-been-nominated

Anyways, those are a few brief thoughts on some positives I am hoping to see with the new administration. While I don't agree with all of Biden's policies, I would love to be proven wrong in that he makes many positive changes that most people can get on board with and support.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
In all his national $15 minimum wage is going to do is cause even more businesses to close then already have. Small businesses are suffering and he wants to do something that's going to choke more of them rather than help them. And I mean I say him, but a lot of it is the party and Pelosi in particular.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Another way to look at it is this; why cant small businesses survive while giving their employees a living wage like 15/hr? It's not even that much money, it's below the median income line, and isnt even enough to live really well, just enough to be able to afford a decent apartment that's not in the ghetto and maybe a car payment that'll afford a car that wont break down for a while, with cash left over to take care of your kid(s).

So lets pretend that the US is not the Only country on Earth and see how other folks have treated this issue. Since 2010, Australia has had about the same number of 2 million small businesses. In 2010, they made their minimum wage increase to $15. In 2015, they increased it to $17. Now, they have about 2.1 million small businesses, with a $19/hour minimum wage. I looked at the cost of big macs, and compared them to ours, and guess what? the aussie big mac is, on average, cheaper than ours. despite their min wage being twice what ours is. what?!? then i examined the unemployment rate. because hey, with higher wages, surely jobs will be harder to come by. the only data i could find was from 2015 to now. and their unemployment has decreased every year from 2015 to 2019. It was about 6% in 2015, and gone down yearly to 5.27% just prior to covid. Ours has been between 4-5% during this same time period, so it's not a lot different. especially when you see how few people actually make minimum wage.

So i ask how they still manage to have millions of small businesses and still maintain a high minimum wage? why cant America do something that australia can do? how are they more capable than we are? This is where American exceptionalism comes in.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Another way to look at it is this; why cant small businesses survive while giving their employees a living wage like 15/hr? It's not even that much money, it's below the median income line, and isnt even enough to live really well, just enough to be able to afford a decent apartment that's not in the ghetto and maybe a car payment that'll afford a car that wont break down for a while, with cash left over to take care of your kid(s).

So lets pretend that the US is not the Only country on Earth and see how other folks have treated this issue. Since 2010, Australia has had about the same number of 2 million small businesses. In 2010, they made their minimum wage increase to $15. In 2015, they increased it to $17. Now, they have about 2.1 million small businesses, with a $19/hour minimum wage. I looked at the cost of big macs, and compared them to ours, and guess what? the aussie big mac is, on average, cheaper than ours. despite their min wage being twice what ours is. what?!? then i examined the unemployment rate. because hey, with higher wages, surely jobs will be harder to come by. the only data i could find was from 2015 to now. and their unemployment has decreased every year from 2015 to 2019. It was about 6% in 2015, and gone down yearly to 5.27% just prior to covid. Ours has been between 4-5% during this same time period, so it's not a lot different. especially when you see how few people actually make minimum wage.

So i ask how they still manage to have millions of small businesses and still maintain a high minimum wage? why cant America do something that australia can do? how are they more capable than we are? This is where American exceptionalism comes in.
For fair disclosure on the Aussie system, you are allowed to work fast food starting at age 14, which my daughter did. The min wage at age 14 is lower than at age 17, it is graded by age. My son was 17, done playing basketball, and was trying to find a job. He could not get one as why would an employer pay a 17-year-old who is new more than a 14-15 year old that is new? He actually got a job at a video store, worked about 3 days then the owner said, "I misread your application, I thought you were 16. I can't hire you now. Here is the pay for the three days. Sorry"

Everyone is so completely sure they are right on min wage no matter which side of the issue they are on. The truth is there are a whole lot of complexities and "it depends." If you are resolute that you are right, chances are you aren't.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
For fair disclosure on the Aussie system, you are allowed to work fast food starting at age 14, which my daughter did. The min wage at age 14 is lower than at age 17, it is graded by age. My son was 17, done playing basketball, and was trying to find a job. He could not get one as why would an employer pay a 17-year-old who is new more than a 14-15 year old that is new? He actually got a job at a video store, worked about 3 days then the owner said, "I misread your application, I thought you were 16. I can't hire you now. Here is the pay for the three days. Sorry"

Everyone is so completely sure they are right on min wage no matter which side of the issue they are on. The truth is there are a whole lot of complexities and "it depends." If you are resolute that you are right, chances are you aren't.
Indeed, the minimum wage is different for people under 21, which, i think, is a nice approach to the issue that we should consider. Most minimum wage earners are part time workers under the age of 21. It's not those people we are very concerned about, but more for anyone 21+ who is working full time. Basically, Anyone old enough to have a family and is working full time should be who benefits from the increase in minimum wage.

I dont think i am completely right on this issue, But i am completely sure we could do better.

Jul 23, 2018
USA

Where in the constitution does it give the federal government the power to intervene in the labor market in this fashion? If $15 is good, isn't $20 even better? $50? If gov't can set a minimum, how about a maximum? Entertainers and athletes make more money than they need, after all. Charles Barkley said athletes pay so much money in taxes that they should get preferential treatment in life/death issues such as covid vaccines. Let's trim that back, shall we?

If you have a business where the marginal value of labor is $10/hour, what happens when a politician in Washington DC decides you need to pay $15 or more? Further, this administration is hell bent on importing and augmenting a permanent, dependent underclass coming from countries where even $5/hr would be a fantasy. These policies are at complete odds and have no rational explanation other than votes.

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Where in the constitution does it give the federal government the power to intervene in the labor market in this fashion?
It’s called the interstate commerce clause.

Look into it.

And look into the Supreme Court cases before claiming it’s not interstate.