What will the republicans do?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
It's the American dream, really. A $15/hr. wiping job with free government health care and free college for the kiddos. Mandated family leave to add more kiddos. Open borders, baby! Big Government is my friend! This Joseph Biden is one generous gringo. And once they get that Paris climate thingy going...ooh lala. Pack a bag, fam, it's time to caravan!
LOL. Looks like another one who has bought the propaganda.

I just wish people would look at what actually happens instead of listening to the sales pitches. We already have big government we just aren't getting those things out of it.

I'm a citizen of two countries. Australia more or less covers everything you said for its citizens.
Here is their government budget as a percent of GDP ( to equal the size differences):
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 8.31.45 AM.png

And, now here is the US government budget as a percent of GDP:
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 8.32.00 AM.png

Our government is already bigger than theirs. So, all of this "big government" stuff is nonsense. It is citizens making a choice about where the spending that occurs goes. Ours goes to special interests, theirs goes to government programs for citizens. And, you will note, Trump GREW the government despite a roaring economy. The best year on the chart was 2015, under Obama. It went bad from there.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
So I was genuinely asking what Biden had going for him other than he's not Trump, and you listed 8 ways he's not Trump. I said I wasn't trolling, and I meant it, but you did exactly what I was concerned about, times eight, with passion.

I'm generally a pretty optimistic guy but it's been so long since I was genuinely excited about my vote on election day, it's a little disheartening.
See the above post. I hope that the government under Biden will start dealing with our massive social problems causing our cities to be tent villages like third world immigration camps. And, I have no doubt it will be big spending. But, I suspect it will be similar in amount to the big-spending that would have happened under Trump but will at least attempt to help the poor and not the friends of Trump.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
See the above post. I hope that the government under Biden will start dealing with our massive social problems causing our cities to be tent villages like third world immigration camps. And, I have no doubt it will be big spending. But, I suspect it will be similar in amount to the big-spending that would have happened under Trump but will at least attempt to help the poor and not the friends of Trump.
Not trying to make excuses, but doesn't some of that fall on city and state government for the way they manage things locally?

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
Democrats can begin helping the “poor” (whatever your definition is) by changing their collective political mindset that a hand up is often much better than a hand out.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Not trying to make excuses, but doesn't some of that fall on city and state government for the way they manage things locally?
I think if it was a local problem we would see it only in some cities. But, I was walking through Bricktown a couple of weeks ago and there were tents and tarps pitched along the riverwalk where the passenger boats go.
Being that this issue is in all significant cities, pretty hard to expect local gov to fix it.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I think if it was a local problem we would see it only in some cities. But, I was walking through Bricktown a couple of weeks ago and there were tents and tarps pitched along the riverwalk where the passenger boats go.
Being that this issue is in all significant cities, pretty hard to expect local gov to fix it.
I think it's worse in some cities than others, but that may be because they are just bigger cities, so more tents.

I don't know. I'm just going to hope against my gut feeling that the people we have selected to fix problems have actual ideas, and want to, fix problems. As cynical as this sounds, I think a large percentage of elected officials are more than happy to perpetuate problems if it gives them a platform to use against their opponents in the future.

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
LOL. Looks like another one who has bought the propaganda.

I just wish people would look at what actually happens instead of listening to the sales pitches. We already have big government we just aren't getting those things out of it.

I'm a citizen of two countries. Australia more or less covers everything you said for its citizens.
Here is their government budget as a percent of GDP ( to equal the size differences):
View attachment 88410
And, now here is the US government budget as a percent of GDP:
View attachment 88411

Our government is already bigger than theirs. So, all of this "big government" stuff is nonsense. It is citizens making a choice about where the spending that occurs goes. Ours goes to special interests, theirs goes to government programs for citizens. And, you will note, Trump GREW the government despite a roaring economy. The best year on the chart was 2015, under Obama. It went bad from there.
How much more are you willing to chip in? 10%? 30%?

Dec 18, 2019
Central Oklahoma
You missed the point completely. We are already spending it, just not for things to help people. Quit believing the sales pitches.
That’s not what I’m asking. You’ve already identified yourself as a high income doctor. The exact person the Democrats have told us for years doesn’t “pay their fair share.” I’m interested in knowing how much more you are comfortable paying. It’s been a campaign promise are they going to follow through with it? $250,000 was established as the level of being “rich” during the Obama years

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
That’s not what I’m asking. You’ve already identified yourself as a high income doctor. The exact person the Democrats have told us for years doesn’t “pay their fair share.” I’m interested in knowing how much more you are comfortable paying. It’s been a campaign promise are they going to follow through with it? $250,000 was established as the level of being “rich” during the Obama years
No, I am an ER doctor. I am not a high-income doctor. I wish. And, no I am not the exact person. If I worked extra for a year my marginal might barely make the area they are talking about.

Here is how this conversation goes every time:
-Sure, if it would go toward helping people get back on their feet I'd be willing to pay X amount more.
-Then what is stopping you? You can pay that now. yada yada yada

But, this is off the point anyway because again, we are already spending the money but not in appropriate ways relative to others. Our government budget is plenty, but it doesn't deliver the services. That is the issue.
Everyone wants to blame the other side. Everybody wants to pay less or make others pay more. Nobody wants to hold their own guy accountable for the failures. So, we get incumbents galore and nothing really changes.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
No, I am an ER doctor. I am not a high-income doctor. I wish. And, no I am not the exact person. If I worked extra for a year my marginal might barely make the area they are talking about.

-Sure, if it would go toward helping people get back on their feet I'd be willing to pay X amount more.

But, this is off the point anyway because again, we are already spending the money but not in appropriate ways relative to others. Our government budget is plenty, but it doesn't deliver the services. That is the issue.
Everyone wants to blame the other side. Everybody wants to pay less or make others pay more. Nobody wants to hold their own guy accountable for the failures. So, we get incumbents galore and nothing really changes.
In general, not directed to you specifically...

Local people can make local change. IMHO this is where action needs to happen. Those of us with most/some need to help those of without...several organizations exist in our communities who are better suited and stationed to help the poor than is our federal government. These organization need and want our local support. Places like John 3:16 mission and the Hope houses do great work but it's not enough. Certainly the fed's play a role but local is where things get done. My advice to anyone who wants to help is to both get out and do it in person, AND give to local charities that do already...then follow up and make sure they do what they say. It takes less talking and more actual doing. I need this reminder myself all the time...as I don't personally do nearly enough and look to "others" like the government to solve these problems.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

I can agree with this. To me that means less, and streamlined, government(too many redundant agencies with redundant regulations), with reduced spending and higher efficiency. This means don't raise taxes, do scale back budgets and take the excess and use it to pay debts or pay back the stolen money from social security.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Mar 11, 2006
You missed the point completely. We are already spending it, just not for things to help people. Quit believing the sales pitches.
And Biden’s just announced stimulus package is more of the same. It is not targeted to those necessarily negatively impacted by COVID, but it will be voted on and approved by most in congress.

$14k checks are going to be sent to some families.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
And Biden’s just announced stimulus package is more of the same. It is not targeted to those necessarily negatively impacted by COVID, but it will be voted on and approved by most in congress.

$14k checks are going to be sent to some families.
In all his national $15 minimum wage is going to do is cause even more businesses to close then already have. Small businesses are suffering and he wants to do something that's going to choke more of them rather than help them. And I mean I say him, but a lot of it is the party and Pelosi in particular.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
We already have an abundance of Democrat created social programs “to help people”. And most of those are called, as I mentioned before, handouts that create more dependence ON the program rather than incentive to get OFF of the program.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow

Are you ever going to answer his question, or are you content just dancing around it? It’s not a tough question.

Apr 14, 2009
This is in response to 85 stupid posts.

The agricultural welfare program goes to folks that for the most part don’t need the money they get. With zero accountability as to how the end user spends it! 23 billion in 2020.
How do you explain that? Other then it being white muddle class welfare I have no answer.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
This is in response to 85 stupid posts.

The agricultural welfare program goes to folks that for the most part don’t need the money they get. With zero accountability as to how the end user spends it! 23 billion in 2020.
How do you explain that? Other then it being white muddle class welfare I have no answer.
How do I explain that? Simple, just four words: government run “welfare” programs. I used plural since there is no such singular program titled as you presented it.