Week 7 Coaches Poll

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
Can someone explain how Kentucky beating a 3-2 LSU earned them 5 spots to leap frog us to 11 in the AP?? A win in Austin will take care of that, I know, but still.
Because they are playing #1 Georgia this weekend. It’s all for “show”.
A loss to Georgia will move kentucky up another 5 spots, it is a great loss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2006
It would take some heavy drinking for me to become convinced that we're a legit top 5 team. Not to say we can't get there but I'm having a hard time seeing it today.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
The problem with the marbles ranking is that when you play is as important as who you play (maybe more). If for example Iowa played ISU after Baylor did, then Iowa would have gotten fewer marbles from that win and Baylor more. Their strength of schedule would not change at all in that case but their # of marbles would.

And that would extend to other teams as well....our win vs Baylor would have been worth more marbles if they had gotten to play ISU before Iowa....and so on and so on.
I get what you are saying and that is a point, but the marble idea does take in to account that most teams change over the season due to, for example, young players early in the season or key injuries later in the season, or the just the light bulb comes on and a team gets hot. Often in reality it depends on when you play a team. As a team accumulates wins or losses the improvement or regression becomes apparent.

Last edited:

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Can someone explain how Kentucky beating a 3-2 LSU earned them 5 spots to leap frog us to 11 in the AP?? A win in Austin will take care of that, I know, but still.
Kentucky and Michigan State, the two teams that jumped us, are a game ahead of us as both are at 6-0 and we are just 5-0 due to the bye week. That is probably part of the reason they jumped us.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I get what you are saying and that is a point, but the marble idea does take in to account that most teams change over the season due to, for example, young players early in the season or key injuries later in the season, or the just the light bulb comes on and a team gets hot. Often in reality it depends on when you play a team. As a team accumulates wins or losses the improvement or regression becomes apparent.
Good point, and sometimes teams are just flat out overrated early on....Michigan State got a lot of poll cred from beating a ranked Miami team that is now 2-3.

However, I think most teams are what they are within a range. For example let's say KU starts the conference season with 100 marbles and don't win a game. The team that plays them first gets 20 marbles from that win, the team that plays them last gets 3.
Oh well, it's certainly a better system than the eye test rankings we have now.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Good point, and sometimes teams are just flat out overrated early on....Michigan State got a lot of poll cred from beating a ranked Miami team that is now 2-3.

However, I think most teams are what they are within a range. For example let's say KU starts the conference season with 100 marbles and don't win a game. The team that plays them first gets 20 marbles from that win, the team that plays them last gets 3.
Oh well, it's certainly a better system than the eye test rankings we have now.
Basically I agree it's better than the eye test. I think it basically let's everybody start on even ground without the bias of the first polls. I mean every system is going to have some sort of flaw I just think in this case the simpler the formula the better.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Dec 12, 2020
OKC
At the beginning of the season, imagine if someone had told you that one of the two starting Big 12 QBs in Oklahoma would be benched for too many turnovers, how many would have believed that Spencer Sanders would be the one left standing, still quarterbacking an undefeated squad?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2006
At the beginning of the season, imagine if someone had told you that one of the two starting Big 12 QBs in Oklahoma would be benched for too many turnovers, how many would have believed that Spencer Sanders would be the one left standing, still quarterbacking an undefeated squad?
And people would still not be happy!

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...its-new-top-25-rankings/ar-AAPCWAp?li=BBnbfcL

ESPN really doesn't think highly of us. This explains the nearly 80-20 FPI in favor of Texas yesterday and the same for Iowa State this coming week.

For B12: Texas at 12, ISU at 9, Baylor ranked.
Rest of the rankings are a joke too: Clemson, Florida, Nebraska.
All I have to say... what the crap are they on?
I’m confused. We are #8 here.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32410615/college-football-power-rankings-week-7

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...its-new-top-25-rankings/ar-AAPCWAp?li=BBnbfcL

ESPN really doesn't think highly of us. This explains the nearly 80-20 FPI in favor of Texas yesterday and the same for Iowa State this coming week.

For B12: Texas at 12, ISU at 9, Baylor ranked.
Rest of the rankings are a joke too: Clemson, Florida, Nebraska.
All I have to say... what the crap are they on?

Our results clearly say that we play with a pretty small margin for error, so when you play that way week in and week out, it's simply a matter of time until a key break doesn't go your way and you lose.

We'd all be happy to win every game by 1 point if that's what it came down to, but that's a pretty hard thing to pull off over an entire season. I'm just hopeful we continue to excel in one possession games from here on out because that seems to be the scenario we'll find ourselves in.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
In keeping with the response by those who are slow to acknowledge Gundy has really done a masterful job this year, we're now the worst 6-0 team in the country?

*Except Wake Forrest and Coastal Carolina.