We miiight be really good this year (football)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I assume you didn't watch the Baylor game after the TCU debacle. Baylor and the Bowl were nearly exactly the same with good play calling, play, and prep. We play really well when coached up to do so...and sometimes that requires a wake up call like TCU. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just looking to give you a little more insight on the season because we didn't "wait unit the bowl game to do something like that." But many of our fans tuned out after the bad loss and thus missed out on our best two games or the year. Plus many of the ones who did that then said "it means nothing to beat a depleted Baylor into oblivion," never taking into account that we had neither Hubbard nor Wallace ourselves...yet look at the dividends it paid to beat down Baylor, who had only lost to ou the week prior. It always means something to have a productive game and the confidence that brings is very valuable despite what some of the very same sad sack posters in this thread said after that Baylor win.
#22 Oklahoma State vs Baylor Highlights: Stoner 3 TD catches for Cowboys | CBS Sports HQ - YouTube
I watched the Baylor game, and yes, we did crank up the offense against them. However, that was against a two-win team, but yeah, we looked good in that one.

Jan 14, 2006
I would not argue that—I think we’ll be good. Going to miss Amen for sure, but Harper is solid. Lotta depth on DL and secondary.
From what I saw at the spring game, LB won't be an issue. We are pretty stacked with athletes. Obviously we know what we've got with Rodriguez and Harper but Bishop, Cobb and some of the other guys looked good.

Our depth at LB and S should also help us on special teams.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
From what I saw at the spring game, LB won't be an issue. We are pretty stacked with athletes. Obviously we know what we've got with Rodriguez and Harper but Bishop, Cobb and some of the other guys looked good.

I have not seen Dizadare and Farrar play.

How are Dizadare and Farrar coming along? They've been in the program a while, but I haven't heard anything about their development.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
None. None whatsoever.

In some people’s minds, Gundy has to hire another Monken/Holgerson to get over the hump. They don’t think we can fine tune the current system, it has to be completely overhauled. Their solution is to go back to what worked 10 years ago, even though defenses have evolved since then.

I get it. We have been underwhelming the last 3 years. And I love Monken. I just don’t think reverting to the 2011 offense is the solution. I also think Gundy is trying to find sustained success, not a flash in the pan. My opinion is he is shifting his focus from building a successful program (which he has done) to a succession plan. He’s not about to blow everything up right now. He wants to solidify his legacy and help OSU be successful after he’s gone.
To be fair, Georgia must think Monkens offense has something to offer in the present, not just the past. I'd take Monkens back in a heartbeat and wouldn't look at it as reverting. That being said, Monken is not coming back, Dunn is our offensive coordinator and I'm optimistic that he can be a good one. I look at last year as an anomaly. Let's see what he can do with a full spring/summer and more experienced QB play.

We may wind up saying "Monken who" after next season...or we may not. Time will tell and I'm behind Dunn until then.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Dunn is our offensive coordinator and I'm optimistic that he can be a good one. I look at last year as an anomaly. Let's see what he can do with a full spring/summer and more experienced QB play.

We may wind up saying "Monken who" after next season...or we may not. Time will tell and I'm behind Dunn until then.
It seems to me that the schemes and play-calling have been almost identical, or at least very similar between Dunn, the dude before him, who's name escapes me, and Yurcich. Is that Gundy controlling what they can call, or is my perception off base?

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
To be fair, Georgia must think Monkens offense has something to offer in the present, not just the past. I'd take Monkens back in a heartbeat and wouldn't look at it as reverting. That being said, Monken is not coming back, Dunn is our offensive coordinator and I'm optimistic that he can be a good one. I look at last year as an anomaly. Let's see what he can do with a full spring/summer and more experienced QB play.

I agree 100%. Like I said, I love Monken. But some people make it sound like running what he and Dana did 10 years ago would solve everything. They act like Gundy is a stubborn idiot who doesn’t see what is obvious. Instead, I think Gundy is trying to establish a system that can adjust to the evolution of defenses. It’s challenging because we haven’t had all of the components necessary to run it. If our OL stays healthy and SS shows progress, then we may be there this season. That’s why so many people are asking about those areas. A lot of our success depends on them.
It seems to me that the schemes and play-calling have been almost identical, or at least very similar between Dunn, the dude before him, who's name escapes me, and Yurcich. Is that Gundy controlling what they can call, or is my perception off base?
It does seem that way, but Dunn has also been on staff that whole time. It shouldn’t be a surprise he didn’t make big adjustments. I’m hoping he adds some new wrinkles as he gets more comfortable as an OC.

The surprise to me was Gleeson. I thought he was going to be revolutionary. He did make some changes, but not as much as expected. It may have been lack of trust or a control issue of Gundy’s. I honestly don’t know.

NinjaPoke

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Our best years have always been odd # years (‘09, ‘11, ‘13, ‘15, ‘17) so you may be on to something.

I for one, will hold my breath. I sincerely thought the ‘17 and ‘20 season were gonna be special but we just have a goon problem. Until we beat UO, we’ll just stay at that #3-#5 range.

Jan 14, 2006
I have not seen Dizadare and Farrar play.

How are Dizadare and Farrar coming along? They've been in the program a while, but I haven't heard anything about their development.
I didn't notice those two specifically, but as a group the LBs looked really solid. I do remember Knowles talking about Dizidare in the past.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
None. None whatsoever.

In some people’s minds, Gundy has to hire another Monken/Holgerson to get over the hump. They don’t think we can fine tune the current system, it has to be completely overhauled. Their solution is to go back to what worked 10 years ago, even though defenses have evolved since then.

I get it. We have been underwhelming the last 3 years. And I love Monken. I just don’t think reverting to the 2011 offense is the solution. I also think Gundy is trying to find sustained success, not a flash in the pan. My opinion is he is shifting his focus from building a successful program (which he has done) to a succession plan. He’s not about to blow everything up right now. He wants to solidify his legacy and help OSU be successful after he’s gone.
You don't win championships (even conference championships) playing it safe. If 3rd place in the conference is good enough for you, then I can see why you're cool with the current approach. Personally, I'd like to see us building something off of our recent success not just rest on it so Gundy can coast into some weird legacy/retirement thing.

I don't watch football to see teams/programs/organizations coasting. That's just my preference, which seems to deviate wildly from the standard fan on OP, who appear to be cool with losing to OU regularly, finishing 3rd place in the conference, and going to bowls named after snack foods.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
None. None whatsoever.

You don't win championships (even conference championships) playing it safe. If 3rd place in the conference is good enough for you, then I can see why you're cool with the current approach. Personally, I'd like to see us building something off of our recent success not just rest on it so Gundy can coast into some weird legacy/retirement thing.

I don't watch football to see teams/programs/organizations coasting. That's just my preference, which seems to deviate wildly from the standard fan on OP, who appear to be cool with losing to OU regularly, finishing 3rd place in the conference, and going to bowls named after snack foods.
To make this jump, you have to assume the players coast too. You have no idea what's going on inside the program, but it seems to me, the players fight hard every game and don't have a problem with Gundy in regards to his coaching. They want to win even more than you do. If they thought coach was coasting, then I don't think we'd have even half the players on this team right now, staying.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jan 14, 2006
Sanders won't be starting two more years. If he gets hurt again that may end the question.
If Sanders stays healthy he'll be gone to the NFL this time next year.

Assuming the Baylor game and the bowl game are his floor and expecting another jump. I could see him getting into the first round.

Of course, he hasn't stayed healthy yet so we're lucky to have Shane ready to go if need be.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX

Assuming the Baylor game and the bowl game are his floor and expecting another jump. I could see him getting into the first round.

Of course, he hasn't stayed healthy yet so we're lucky to have Shane ready to go if need be.

First Round? You, my friend, are a man of vision.:) I’m thinking more like sixth or seventh, or UDFA.

Jul 31, 2008

I doubt that. Lots of folks respected Sam E at uT and he wasn't expected to get drafted, but did in 6th round. I think with a good year, that's kind of what SS could expect.

Jan 14, 2006
First Round? You, my friend, are a man of vision.:) I’m thinking more like sixth or seventh, or UDFA.
Well, I made like 3 huge assumptions that would all have to happen but a little optimism on a message board never hurt anybody. Lord knows there's enough pessimists on here to balance it out.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond

https://media.giphy.com/media/l8aCBaBuz5R6M/giphy.gif

wait, you were joking, right?

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
I love getting all optimistic about the upcoming season, and I think the success will be based primarily on QB play, like it is most seasons. Sanders has been boom or bust and wildly inconsistent with the exception of a couple of games. Hopefully with a full time QB coach we will see some marked improvement in his consistency. O line just needs to stay healthy and CB play is the biggest question on Defense.

I wonder what has changed to make our recruiting boom this season? Maybe it's having his son on the team, maybe the stars have aligned, maybe it's changes that were made a couple of years ago? Whatever the reason let's hope it is more the norm than the exception moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
I love getting all optimistic about the upcoming season, and I think the success will be based primarily on QB play, like it is most seasons. Sanders has been boom or bust and wildly inconsistent with the exception of a couple of games. Hopefully with a full time QB coach we will see some marked improvement in his consistency. O line just needs to stay healthy and CB play is the biggest question on Defense.

I wonder what has changed to make our recruiting boom this season? Maybe it's having his son on the team, maybe the stars have aligned, maybe it's changes that were made a couple of years ago? Whatever the reason let's hope it is more the norm than the exception moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I have no data or inside info, but my theory is that the restrictions on travel made it a more even playing field. One of the biggest issues for us has been recruiting budget. With virtual recruiting being more prominent, we didn’t have to limit our recruiting to higher probability prospects. We could take more risks.

But that’s just a theory. A recruiting theory.