We miiight be really good this year (football)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
And it's not just the number of pass plays, but the willingness to go left and right, short to intermediate routes, etc. Our MO before that was either go routes on the outside (mostly to Wallace) or wr screens to the sideline. People have on the board have called those bubble screens, but we never really even used those to my recollection. Our passing game was extremely rudimentary all year until the bowl game.
Exactly

Nov 6, 2010
It was not a completely different approach, it was the exact same thing that we always run, the ONLY difference was that MIAMI got absolutely torched by UNC and decided that they were going to load the box and crash hard on run plays. Because of that - SS keys’ told him to pull the ball and throw it on the RPOs. We also had several check with the sideline plays where we lined up, the defense loaded the box, so we ran the second play call (a pass). We had a couple called pass plays because we were behind the sticks. There wasn’t anything fundamentally different about our approach during the bowl game.

And yes once Miami adjusted our offense sputtered as usual.
OK, and no other defense did that against us the entire year?? Seems implausible but you seem to have knowledge so I'll gladly defer.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
So what if half of those “passing” plays were the same RPO’s we always run, we just passed because of how the defense was lined up or flowed? Would that change your perception?
They may very well have been, all I know is that the ball was being distributed all over the field, much more so than what we saw at any point in the regular season.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
I'd have to rewatch the whole game again, but my hazy memory says we went back to our ultra conservative ways with the big lead, which I don't disagree with. We also pulled Wallace in the second half, which can't be minimized.
You are exactly right, we went back to playing conservative. Perhaps Miami adjusted and took what we did early on, away, but we went back to doing what we normally do after some early success.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
OK, and no other defense did that against us the entire year?? Seems implausible but you seem to have knowledge so I'll gladly defer.
I’ll be honest I think it would be almost impossible to tell in the other games if we ran a run play or if it was an RPO that could have been a pass without being in the film room with the OC. Most people don’t realize how many keys a QB can have on one play. Different alignments, different formations, different play calls all can have different keys based on how you are expecting the defense to react.
The same exact play could have one key for cover 2/4 and one key for cover 1/0 and then each receiver could have different routes based on cover 2 or 4 determined on the fly and cover 1 and 0.
But this is all a part of the Gundy offense, you look at defensive personnel, then how they are aligned, all presnap, then post snap, do they blitz, crash, bail, flow, rotate whatever, that all leads you to the play call then you hope all 11 guys saw all of the same reads and execute.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I'd have to rewatch the whole game again, but my hazy memory says we went back to our ultra conservative ways with the big lead, which I don't disagree with. We also pulled Wallace in the second half, which can't be minimized.
Sure, it had nothing to do with what Miami was doing on the field.

Sort of like some kids get upset when the other team works hard and makes good plays. There are two teams with good athletes on the field at the same time.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I go back to the Miami game. We actually had the Miami D on their heels, at least in the first half. We didn't see "creative" play-calling like that all season. We threw something like 10 or 11 times out of the first 12 plays. Why did we wait until the bowl game to do something like that? It was great to see, but a bit of a head scratcher. Does that portend a change in what we'll be doing going forward?
No it doesn't, we reverted back to being conservative in the 2nd half.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I go back to the Miami game. We actually had the Miami D on their heels, at least in the first half. We didn't see "creative" play-calling like that all season. We threw something like 10 or 11 times out of the first 12 plays. Why did we wait until the bowl game to do something like that? It was great to see, but a bit of a head scratcher. Does that portend a change in what we'll be doing going forward?
No it doesn't, we reverted back to being conservative in the 2nd half.
Miami adjusted to what we were doing in the first quarter. We didn’t just go “conservative”, they took away what we were doing. Tylan Wallace also left the game. They adjusted and shut us down, we adjusted and found Presley enough times to win the game. Isn’t that the goal?

Oct 6, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I hate to say it, but I kind of agree with this. Our offense has been painfully predictable and unimaginative the last few years, and I don't see that changing (not sure why we all of a sudden started looking like a legit, high-powered offense against Miami, but I think that was an aberration.) Gundy always gets out-coached in at least one game to an inferior opponent, or we'll turn the ball over 5 times and lose. Of course OU is an automatic loss. Defense was definitely a bright spot last year. I think we'll win 9 games and finish about third. My expectations are too lofty every year. Not going to let myself fall into that trap again. But I'd love to eat crow.
Sanders says we are the best defense in the Big 12.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Miami adjusted to what we were doing in the first quarter. We didn’t just go “conservative”, they took away what we were doing. Tylan Wallace also left the game. They adjusted and shut us down, we adjusted and found Presley enough times to win the game. Isn’t that the goal?
Winning is indeed the goal, but I’d like to see our offense sustain drives more consistently, and some red-zone offense would be nice. It’s been pretty bad of late.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I assume you didn't watch the Baylor game after the TCU debacle. Baylor and the Bowl were nearly exactly the same with good play calling, play, and prep. We play really well when coached up to do so...and sometimes that requires a wake up call like TCU. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, just looking to give you a little more insight on the season because we didn't "wait unit the bowl game to do something like that." But many of our fans tuned out after the bad loss and thus missed out on our best two games or the year. Plus many of the ones who did that then said "it means nothing to beat a depleted Baylor into oblivion," never taking into account that we had neither Hubbard nor Wallace ourselves...yet look at the dividends it paid to beat down Baylor, who had only lost to ou the week prior by 13 in a close game. It always means something to have a productive game and the confidence that brings is very valuable despite what some of the very same sad sack posters in this thread said after that Baylor win.
#22 Oklahoma State vs Baylor Highlights: Stoner 3 TD catches for Cowboys | CBS Sports HQ - YouTube

Last edited:

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Gundy's weak game plans and game management are not related in any way to fans, history, funding, or the town of Stillwater. He chooses "safety in simplicity", because it gives the max success with the least possible effort.

I'm ok with the success. What I'm NOT ok with is settling for this as our ceiling. All that tells me is that you, Gundy, and many of our other older fans are fine with participation trophies, because our history is THAT bad. We need to build on our recent success, not settle for it being our ceiling. And unfortunately, the only way that appears to be possible is with high expectations from all involved.
Compared to our recent success the blue bloods have been doing it for mmmmmuch longer than us, now do i believe the blue bloods hold all the cards, no, but with the exception of Clemson, it is SO hard to beat many of them out on the upper level recruits whether it be because of their rich history or from putting people in the league. So then in turn we put our efforts into battles that we have a chance to win, but believe me at the same time i wish we would at least put a bit more effort into some of the top 100 talent especially in TX
Only so many recruiting dollars to spent. This is the true limit on recruiting in Stillwater. Not the town, not the people, it's having the money to make the trips and visits to the players BEFORE they commit.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I am optimistic that we will be one of the three teams that, if a few things break right, will have a shot at beating OU in Jerry World and winning a championship - and then who knows? We basically must have an undefeated season for those things to happen. If it takes Heisman's and NC's for you to feel even optimistic about the team, then maybe you need to root for one of those few select teams that will be consistently playing to do that.

We are not OU. We are not Bama or Georgia. We are not Clemson. There are a few others; and I'm not sure I'd include Ohio State at this point. We have a relatively small (but nice!) stadium, a relatively small athletic budget, and are the second football program in a state with less population than the Dallas metro area. As a result we are not going to be an OU, or a Bama, or a Georgia, or an Ohio State (maybe). Not now, not any time soon - even with another coach. Iowa State has done a great job, and they are now up with us in that "second tier", but they are in the same boat long term.

Those are the realities.
I'm not expecting us to win the big 12 every year. Would just like to see us make the conference championship game every once in a while. In 4 years, half the teams in the conference have made it so it's not like it's an impossible goal.

To be fair, that game IS only 4 years old and there were several instances the past decade we would have made it in years it didn't exist, so it's not panic mode yet. Just saying it needs to happen at some point or what's the point.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Not so. I'll move on to "actual football".

I am intrigued to see how the QB position shapes up, how strong our defense can be, how our new WR group gets up to speed, and if we see any improvements or changes with the offense in Dunn's second year.
Healthy team, and particularly the O-Line, with practices together under their belt. I think it's as simple as that.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Nov 6, 2010
I’ll be honest I think it would be almost impossible to tell in the other games if we ran a run play or if it was an RPO that could have been a pass without being in the film room with the OC. Most people don’t realize how many keys a QB can have on one play. Different alignments, different formations, different play calls all can have different keys based on how you are expecting the defense to react.
The same exact play could have one key for cover 2/4 and one key for cover 1/0 and then each receiver could have different routes based on cover 2 or 4 determined on the fly and cover 1 and 0.
But this is all a part of the Gundy offense, you look at defensive personnel, then how they are aligned, all presnap, then post snap, do they blitz, crash, bail, flow, rotate whatever, that all leads you to the play call then you hope all 11 guys saw all of the same reads and execute.
Maybe the coaches just gave SS a little more freedom to make his reads than earlier in the year??

TheMonkey

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 16, 2004
DFW
Just curious. Is there any fact based data that says Monken would even consider coming back?
None. None whatsoever.

In some people’s minds, Gundy has to hire another Monken/Holgerson to get over the hump. They don’t think we can fine tune the current system, it has to be completely overhauled. Their solution is to go back to what worked 10 years ago, even though defenses have evolved since then.

I get it. We have been underwhelming the last 3 years. And I love Monken. I just don’t think reverting to the 2011 offense is the solution. I also think Gundy is trying to find sustained success, not a flash in the pan. My opinion is he is shifting his focus from building a successful program (which he has done) to a succession plan. He’s not about to blow everything up right now. He wants to solidify his legacy and help OSU be successful after he’s gone.