We miiight be really good this year (football)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
I go back to the Miami game. We actually had the Miami D on their heels, at least in the first half. We didn't see "creative" play-calling like that all season. We threw something like 10 or 11 times out of the first 12 plays. Why did we wait until the bowl game to do something like that? It was great to see, but a bit of a head scratcher. Does that portend a change in what we'll be doing going forward?
I see no reason to believe that's the case. We've opened the playbook in several bowl games, then gone back into a shell once the next season starts. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see us go that direction, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Perhaps Sanders benefitted from the extra practice time in the lead up to the bowl?

Maybe they finally trusted him enough to let him loose a little bit. Probably wishful thinking but it could explain the approach.

Could've just been something about Miami schematically as well, I suppose.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
I go back to the Miami game. We actually had the Miami D on their heels, at least in the first half. We didn't see "creative" play-calling like that all season. We threw something like 10 or 11 times out of the first 12 plays. Why did we wait until the bowl game to do something like that? It was great to see, but a bit of a head scratcher. Does that portend a change in what we'll be doing going forward?
What different plays did we run? Did we actually run different plays or just execute the same play better? If you recall we were out scored in the 2nd QTR 10-0.

In fact we got outscored in three of the four quarters 34-16.

Dec 16, 2019
Stillwater
Good to know. My only point with the reduction to absurd scenario that I presented is that I believe that we can't achieve anything better than 3rd place in the Big 12 and random mediocre bowl unless we start bringing in Ohio State, Bama, or Clemson levels of O-linemen OR we adjust our style of play. The latter seems doable, because we've already done it before!

But the real point is that Gundy and many of our fans are simply ok with that as the standard. Long as we're not facing 0-10-1, they're good.
Bro i want us to get to better heights too, but to hope we bring in the same kind of O-line recruits that Ohio St, Bama and Clemson? I mean those are some looooofty expectations right there.
But i do believe you are right on the last note, we NEED to be more technically sound than those teams, but until we start consistently putting O-line recruits into the league we cant really compete with blue bloods unless one said recruit grew up die hard Ok State fan, but still it's hard to go away from a known commodity that puts recruit after recruit into the league

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
What different plays did we run? Did we actually run different plays or just execute the same play better? If you recall we were out scored in the 2nd QTR 10-0.

In fact we got outscored in three of the four quarters 34-16.
Not different plays, just a different approach. Just the fact that we threw so much, and really spread it around to both sides of the field. Miami adjusted to it after a while, but I can't recall us even attempting something different like that in the past.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Bro i want us to get to better heights too, but to hope we bring in the same kind of O-line recruits that Ohio St, Bama and Clemson? I mean those are some looooofty expectations right there.
But i do believe you are right on the last note, we NEED to be more technically sound than those teams, but until we start consistently putting O-line recruits into the league we cant really compete with blue bloods unless one said recruit grew up die hard Ok State fan, but still it's hard to go away from a known commodity that puts recruit after recruit into the league
I know. The scenario is completely ridiculous if the assumption is that we're trying to win the Big 12. Gundy's style of offense has a ceiling with the players we are able to recruit. So IF the goal is to win the Big 12, we either need way better O-linemen (unlikely to happen, as we all know) OR we have to adjust our style of play to, say, something like what we did when actually won the Big 12 recently......... Seems like a no-brainer, right?

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I see no reason to believe that's the case. We've opened the playbook in several bowl games, then gone back into a shell once the next season starts. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see us go that direction, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Perhaps Sanders benefitted from the extra practice time in the lead up to the bowl?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
What are you optimistic about?
Should you be optimistic that we will win our non conference? Yes
Should you be optimistic we will finish in the top half of the big XII? Yes
Should you be optimistic we will beat OU? No
Should you be optimistic we will be in the big XII championship? No
There’s no reason to even talk about Heisman’s and National Championships but yet we do it every year. We win a few games and we start talking about the playoffs every year.
I am optimistic that we will be one of the three teams that, if a few things break right, will have a shot at beating OU in Jerry World and winning a championship - and then who knows? We basically must have an undefeated season for those things to happen. If it takes frequent Heisman's and NC playoff games for you to feel even optimistic about the team, then maybe you need to root for one of those few select teams that will be consistently playing to do that.

Football is THE MONEY SPORT, and the "top tier" programs have HUGE budgets invested in people and facilities to make sure they stay there. We are not OU. We are not Bama or Georgia. We are not Clemson. There are a few others; and I'm not sure I'd include Ohio State at this point. We have a relatively small (but nice!) stadium, a relatively small athletic budget, and are the second football program in a state with less population than the Dallas metro area. As a result we are not going to be an OU, or a Bama, or a Georgia, or an Ohio State (maybe). Not now, not any time soon - even with another coach. Iowa State has done a great job, and they are now up with us in that "second tier", but they are in the same boat with us long term.

Those are the realities.

Last edited:

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Not different plays, just a different approach. Just the fact that we threw so much, and really spread it around to both sides of the field. Miami adjusted to it after a while, but I can't recall us even attempting something different like that in the past.
So, we should throw on every down? Because that was our first 10 plays to open the game against Miami?

What is often viewed as a "different approach" is nothing more than the play was simply successful this time when before it wasn't successful and it's branded "an old approach" that the defense can easily predict.

Maybe it wasn't what OSU did at all but rather a poor game plan on the part of Miami to open the game in the first QTR? Afterall we were outplayed 3 of the 4 QTRs.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
So, we should throw on every down? Because that was our first 10 plays to open the game against Miami?

What is often viewed as a "different approach" is nothing more than the play was simply successful this time when before it wasn't successful and it's branded "an old approach" that the defense can easily predict.

Maybe it wasn't what OSU did at all but rather a poor game plan on the part of Miami to open the game in the first QTR? Afterall we were outplayed 3 of the 4 QTRs.
I'm just saying that we changed things up from what we normally do. For whatever reasons, it was refreshing to see something different. That's it.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
IDK I keep pushing my renewal notice around my desk, still undecided. Every time I get hyped about a season, it usually ends in letdown notably 2017 and last year. Last year I was at a game and just remember being bored to death. I do know that we will run up the middle a lot, throw it deep down the sidelines on third down, and come out in at least one game and sleep walk to a lesser team

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I'm not convinced of a different approach. I went back and looked at the stats of the game and I'm pretty much convinced it had more to do that we completed 67.5% of our passes (season average 60.7%) and that we had zero drive killing turnovers against Miami.

So, maybe the different approach was that we simply played better.

Nov 6, 2010
I'm not convinced of a different approach. I went back and looked at the stats of the game and I'm pretty much convinced it had more to do that we completed 67.5% of our passes (season average 60.7%) and that we had zero drive killing turnovers against Miami.

Man, watch the game. We utilized the entire field in the passing game, which is why that completion percentage was up. Not to mention the whatever number of consecutive pass plays to start the game. I'm willing to bet without looking it up that was double the next highest number of consecutive pass plays for any other game the entire year unless we were playing from way behind like against OU. It was a completely different approach.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

I'm just saying that we changed things up from what we normally do. For whatever reasons, it was refreshing to see something different. That's it.
A lot easier to change thing up when you have 3-4 weeks between games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX

Ok, let's do this: Go back through the last few seasons, and find a game where we ran 10 or 11 straight pass plays out of the first 12. Perhaps we've done that a few times and I just forgot about it. If that's the case, fine. Again, it's just something I noted. Whatever the reasons may be, that's what we did, and it seemed out of the ordinary. I'm sorry for using the phrase "different approach" so flippantly, and promise to choose my words more carefully in the future. Please share your findings with the group. Thanks, in advance. Your friend, newpoke

Nov 6, 2010
Ok, let's do this: Go back through the last few seasons, and find a game where we ran 10 or 11 straight pass plays out of the first 12. Perhaps we've done that a few times and I just forgot about it. If that's the case, fine. Again, it's just something I noted. Whatever the reasons may be, that's what we did, and it seemed out of the ordinary. I'm sorry for using the phrase "different approach" so flippantly, and promise to choose my words more carefully in the future. Please share your findings with the group. Thanks, in advance. Your friend, newpoke
And it's not just the number of pass plays, but the willingness to go left and right, short to intermediate routes, etc. Our MO before that was either go routes on the outside (mostly to Wallace) or wr screens to the sideline. People have on the board have called those bubble screens, but we never really even used those to my recollection. Our passing game was extremely rudimentary all year until the bowl game.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
So what if half of those “passing” plays were the same RPO’s we always run, we just passed because of how the defense was lined up or flowed? Would that change your perception?

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Man, watch the game. We utilized the entire field in the passing game, which is why that completion percentage was up. Not to mention the whatever number of consecutive pass plays to start the game. I'm willing to bet without looking it up that was double the next highest number of consecutive pass plays for any other game the entire year unless we were playing from way behind like against OU. It was a completely different approach.
Then why did it only work in the first QTR? We got our ass kicked the rest of the game. 34-16

Nov 6, 2010
Then why did it only work in the first QTR? We got our ass kicked the rest of the game. 34-16
I'd have to rewatch the whole game again, but my hazy memory says we went back to our ultra conservative ways with the big lead, which I don't disagree with. We also pulled Wallace in the second half, which can't be minimized.

Jan 15, 2017
Enid
It was not a completely different approach, it was the exact same thing that we always run, the ONLY difference was that MIAMI got absolutely torched by UNC and decided that they were going to load the box and crash hard on run plays. Because of that - SS keys’ told him to pull the ball and throw it on the RPOs. We also had several check with the sideline plays where we lined up, the defense loaded the box, so we ran the second play call (a pass). We had a couple called pass plays because we were behind the sticks. There wasn’t anything fundamentally different about our approach during the bowl game.

And yes once Miami adjusted our offense sputtered as usual.