We miiight be really good this year (football)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
This is a REALLY tired argument and you’ve made it for several seasons multiple times. Save us all and create a webpage containing your diatribe. Then put a link to that website in your signature that says “Click here for my philosophy on why Gundy is wrong.” It would be better than the broken record you keep pasting in your posts.

No one is happy with simply anything better than 0-10-1.

And it’s not a binary argument. One can be disappointed with our results the last few years and still believe things are headed in the right direction (improved defense, better recruiting, coordinators with more experience, more experienced QBs, etc.)

I feel like I’m watching Gallagher smashing watermelons. I’ve seen this act before. It’s been done man. We have Fruit Ninja now. Time to get some new material.
Interesting. So my critical stance is a "diatribe", but the summer threads touting optimism and sunshine pumping year after year after year after year are likeable to you? Seems like you should be more upset that Gundy keeps doing the same stupid stuff year after year, not that I'm criticizing him for it.

And yeah, feel free to put me ignore if it helps you sleep better at night.

Nov 6, 2010
Good to know. My only point with the reduction to absurd scenario that I presented is that I believe that we can't achieve anything better than 3rd place in the Big 12 and random mediocre bowl unless we start bringing in Ohio State, Bama, or Clemson levels of O-linemen OR we adjust our style of play. The latter seems doable, because we've already done it before!

But the real point is that Gundy and many of our fans are simply ok with that as the standard. Long as we're not facing 0-10-1, they're good.
I disagree, we won't and never will bring in the top tier talent at your position of focus, or any other, unless we cheat. But, we've been winning at a fairly high level while bringing in Air Force and Toledo level talent, a few skill position players aside. Now it appears Gundy has kicked it in and is getting a close to top ten class put together. Maybe we watch and see what happens with that talent gap closed across the board.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Good to know. My only point with the reduction to absurd scenario that I presented is that I believe that we can't achieve anything better than 3rd place in the Big 12 and random mediocre bowl unless we start bringing in Ohio State, Bama, or Clemson levels of O-linemen OR we adjust our style of play. The latter seems doable, because we've already done it before!

But the real point is that Gundy and many of our fans are simply ok with that as the standard. Long as we're not facing 0-10-1, they're good.
I disagree, we won't and never will bring in the top tier talent at your position of focus, or any other, unless we cheat. But, we've been winning at a fairly high level while bringing in Air Force and Toledo level talent, a few skill position players aside. Now it appears Gundy has kicked it in and is getting a close to top ten class put together. Maybe we watch and see what happens with that talent gap closed across the board.
My exact thoughts in 1988. Give me a clean program that wins consistently without cheating. Gundy has done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I'm guessing we'll be pretty good except for one game again this year.

Rinse, repeat.

Jul 27, 2011
Bixby
Sometimes it's nice to just have a fun discussion about football.

"How's the oline gonna look?"

"How's the WR rotation shaping up?"

"Are the LB's fast?"

But I guess we'll just have the same conversation for 37,486th time. Maybe we'll learn something new this time.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Lots of experience back is always a good thing. OL having to grow up too fast last year should pay off this year, so I'm kinda with you.
Have you seen the projected depth chart on the OL? Supposed to be improved over last year and then there is this for the future.....

Left Tackle: RSo., Jr.
Left Guard: RSr., RFr.
Center: Grad Transfer, RSo.
Right Guard: RSo., RJr.
Right Tackle: RJr., RSo.

What concerns me are the number of underclassman at WR 2 deep depth chart.

SR (Martin - 15 receptions 149 yards last season)
FR
SO

RSr (Johnson - 20 receptions 248 yards last season)
RFr
FR

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
Lots of experience back is always a good thing. OL having to grow up too fast last year should pay off this year, so I'm kinda with you.
Have you seen the projected depth chart on the OL? Supposed to be improved over last year and then there is this for the future.....

Left Tackle: RSo., Jr.
Left Guard: RSr., RFr.
Center: Grad Transfer, RSo.
Right Guard: RSo., RJr.
Right Tackle: RJr., RSo.

What concerns me are the number of underclassman at WR 2 deep depth chart.

SR (Martin - 15 receptions 149 yards last season)
FR
SO

RSr (Johnson - 20 receptions 248 yards last season)
RFr
FR
Of course we lost a tackle that’s projected to go in the first round tomorrow night. If we don’t miss a beat this year it’s a tribute to the job Coach Dickey is doing. Fingers crossed.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Of course we lost a tackle that’s projected to go in the first round tomorrow night. If we don’t miss a beat this year it’s a tribute to the job Coach Dickey is doing. Fingers crossed.

If the OL just stays relatively healthy, it should be much better just by virtue of being an intact unit. Last year it was a different lineup every game, and multiple position changes for Sills, maybe one other, The young guys definitely got some good experience; combined with the veterans, we should be solid. Hope Etienne’s a stud.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
1619697334831.png
There can be NO OPTIMISM about OSU football as long as Gundy is the head coach! He can't recruit, he can't coach.

Wow! Some of these negative posts.....one would think we were not one of the winningest programs in D1 the last few decades, which of course we are. It's all about one opponent, and that opponent is living large in a few of our fellow fans' collective heads.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2017
Enid
View attachment 89972
There can be NO OPTIMISM about OSU football as long as Gundy is the head coach! He can't recruit, he can't coach.

Wow! Some of these negative posts.....one would think we were not one of the winningest programs in D1, which of course we are. It's all about one opponent, and that opponent is living large in a few of our fellow fans' collective heads.
What are you optimistic about?
Should you be optimistic that we will win our non conference? Yes
Should you be optimistic we will finish in the top half of the big XII? Yes
Should you be optimistic we will beat OU? No
Should you be optimistic we will be in the big XII championship? No
There’s no reason to even talk about Heisman’s and National Championships but yet we do it every year. We win a few games and we start talking about the playoffs every year.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
What are you optimistic about?
Should you be optimistic that we will win our non conference? Yes
Should you be optimistic we will finish in the top half of the big XII? Yes
Should you be optimistic we will beat OU? No
Should you be optimistic we will be in the big XII championship? No
There’s no reason to even talk about Heisman’s and National Championships but yet we do it every year. We win a few games and we start talking about the playoffs every year.
And if we don't do those things, what's the point of even watching? It's not the destination, it's the ride. And tailgating.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Well you old farts can stand in the ticket line for your heart of Dallas bowl if you want but it's hard to get interested when you already know what the ceiling is, you can trade testicle stories while you are waiting
Oh, and we do! Too bad sad saps like you miss out on that. I recall Phoenix in 2011/12 trading stories about how that Gundy team was perhaps the best team we had ever fielded. Seems your ceiling comment is just that...a comment...we have no ceiling except for the one you decide to put on us. The fact that we have problems being 1st in the conference historically doesn't mean our ceiling is what we have done historically "most of the time" under Gundy..."Ceiling" means what we have done the best time under Gundy.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

"Are the LB's fast?"

But I guess we'll just have the same conversation for 37,486th time. Maybe we'll learn something new this time.

So the delusional optimism, insane predictions, and "how's the o-line gonna look?" conversations aren't also repeated for the 37,486th time? (hint: they are)

Be honest. It's not the repetition that gets to you. It's that you'd rather rinse and repeat sunshine pumping than reality.

Sep 12, 2008
sunshine pumpers > relentless doomsayers

The Clemson Tigers spent $2.9 million on recruiting during the 2018-’19 academic year. OU and Texas spend over 2 million per year on recruiting.

OSU spent 800,000 on recruiting in 2018 and that was up from 200,000 in 2014. Unless Boone left us some extra money for recruiting I don't see it happening. The pandemic helped level the playing field because people couldn't travel.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bixby

"Are the LB's fast?"

So the delusional optimism, insane predictions, and "how's the o-line gonna look?" conversations aren't also repeated for the 37,486th time? (hint: they are)

Be honest. It's not the repetition that gets to you. It's that you'd rather rinse and repeat sunshine pumping than reality.
No, I'd rather just talk about football. Another thread with potential for actually engaging football conversation derailed.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
No, I'd rather just talk about football. Another thread with potential for actually engaging football conversation derailed.
Not so. I'll move on to "actual football".

I am intrigued to see how the QB position shapes up, how strong our defense can be, how our new WR group gets up to speed, and if we see any improvements or changes with the offense in Dunn's second year.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Not so. I'll move on to "actual football".

I am intrigued to see how the QB position shapes up, how strong our defense can be, how our new WR group gets up to speed, and if we see any improvements or changes with the offense in Dunn's second year.
I go back to the Miami game. We actually had the Miami D on their heels, at least in the first half. We didn't see "creative" play-calling like that all season. We threw something like 10 or 11 times out of the first 12 plays. Why did we wait until the bowl game to do something like that? It was great to see, but a bit of a head scratcher. Does that portend a change in what we'll be doing going forward?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I go back to the Miami game. We actually had the Miami D on their heels, at least in the first half. We didn't see "creative" play-calling like that all season. We threw something like 10 or 11 times out of the first 12 plays. Why did we wait until the bowl game to do something like that? It was great to see, but a bit of a head scratcher. Does that portend a change in what we'll be doing going forward?
I see no reason to believe that's the case. We've opened the playbook in several bowl games, then gone back into a shell once the next season starts. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see us go that direction, but I'll believe it when I see it.