Warner Bros to release all movies directly to HBO Max for next year

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I think theatres were on their way out anyway....look at all the content that was starting to come out on streaming even before Covid hit. Heck the movie I most wanted to see in the last couple of years wasn't going to be released to theaters anyway....it was the Tom Hanks WWII movie Greyhound released only to Apple.
Could be a blessing in disguise. If Studios are no longer able to rely on Imax HD and dolby surround to make movies marketable with impressive explosions and special effects, they might have to actually learn how to write compelling stories and characters again.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Yeah I have 1000Mbps...
I actually have their 300mbps but WTF am I doing??? I just pulled up their current plans and the 1000 (which includes HBOmax) is $60 (reg price $80) and their 300 is $90 reg price (I'm paying $80)!!! How the heck does that work?? I'm about to switch to the 1000, just making sure there's equipment changes needed.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
I actually have their 300mbps but WTF am I doing??? I just pulled up their current plans and the 1000 (which includes HBOmax) is $60 (reg price $80) and their 300 is $90 reg price (I'm paying $80)!!! How the heck does that work?? I'm about to switch to the 1000, just making sure there's equipment changes needed.
I recently went to swap out my Panoramic modem. They upgraded my 300MB plan to the 500MB plan which actually saved me $5 per month. I'll have to check on the 1,000 plan.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Yeah I have 1000Mbps...
Sometimes, those deals are only for new subscribers. My kids had an apartment in Stillwater. At my house we had like 100mbps with a cap of 250gb for like $55 from suddenlink. They signed up at their apartment with a price for life thing of $39 for 500mbps and no cap, but we couldn't even sniff that price.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Yeah I have 1000Mbps...
Sometimes, those deals are only for new subscribers. My kids had an apartment in Stillwater. At my house we had like 100mbps with a cap of 250gb for like $55 from suddenlink. They signed up at their apartment with a price for life thing of $39 for 500mbps and no cap, but we couldn't even sniff that price.

That was my initial thought as well but the actual regular price without discount for 1000 is only 80 and 300 is 90.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

P4L

Sheriff
Nov 7, 2007
Kenosha, WI
watch Lovecraft Country. It is a series based on H P Lovecraft's Lore and writings
Just for clarification, the show is based off the book Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff. While Lovecraft inspired, there's not much in the show that is directly based off Lovecraft's writing.

Aug 16, 2012
Yeah, I definitely do not. lol. I just have their 150mbps service.
Yeah I have 1000Mbps...
I live in the oldest (circa 1996-1997) neighborhood that was developed as a comprehensive whole in my moderate-sized burg 30 miles north of downtown Dallas. Only 80 homes. We cannot get anything higher than 25mbps and have essentially been told we never will because we are only the 80 homes, they do not have the time to deal with such a puny order when they are laying lines for larger developments all over and since our neighborhood is served from the original hub, it would be too expensive for them to do it anyway as they would never, across the life of the system, make their money back.

This is what I have
speedtest.jpg

Pathetic. Pay for the 25 (highest available from any provider in the neighborhood), only get 14. When I upload large files, have to shut everything else down. Do not game so that is no issue.

Aug 16, 2012
I find the whole discussion interesting in the fact that 19 years ago, the firm I was at designed a 10-screen cinema in Parker, CO. The guy I worked for was a shyster that I realized took credit for other work (like the Denver Airport Terminal) because he had a mid-level role in the work. Only way he could get new work was to get in cahoots with a developer and ridiculously under-bid it. So he comes up to me and the other architect heading up the project and instead of our salaries, he offers us a 0.0025% stake in the net-net revenue. We did the math and it came up to something like $4.50/day. We started thinking long-term, and this was before streaming was even a thing, but we could not convince ourselves that the medium would even be around in 20 years. Now, 20 years later theaters are still around, but despite their bells and whistles, net/net profits are still something like $10-$15k a day. I might have made my salary and a little more, but the place has become sort of a dollar movie house now so I doubt it.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Yeah I have 1000Mbps...

That was my initial thought as well but the actual regular price without discount for 1000 is only 80 and 300 is 90.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Well that definitely sounds stupid.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I live in the oldest (circa 1996-1997) neighborhood that was developed as a comprehensive whole in my moderate-sized burg 30 miles north of downtown Dallas. Only 80 homes. We cannot get anything higher than 25mbps and have essentially been told we never will because we are only the 80 homes, they do not have the time to deal with such a puny order when they are laying lines for larger developments all over and since our neighborhood is served from the original hub, it would be too expensive for them to do it anyway as they would never, across the life of the system, make their money back.

This is what I have
View attachment 87612

Pathetic. Pay for the 25 (highest available from any provider in the neighborhood), only get 14. When I upload large files, have to shut everything else down. Do not game so that is no issue.
Jeez... Have you looked into wireless internet options? Like home hotspots with cell phone carriers?

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I find the whole discussion interesting in the fact that 19 years ago, the firm I was at designed a 10-screen cinema in Parker, CO. The guy I worked for was a shyster that I realized took credit for other work (like the Denver Airport Terminal) because he had a mid-level role in the work. Only way he could get new work was to get in cahoots with a developer and ridiculously under-bid it. So he comes up to me and the other architect heading up the project and instead of our salaries, he offers us a 0.0025% stake in the net-net revenue. We did the math and it came up to something like $4.50/day. We started thinking long-term, and this was before streaming was even a thing, but we could not convince ourselves that the medium would even be around in 20 years. Now, 20 years later theaters are still around, but despite their bells and whistles, net/net profits are still something like $10-$15k a day. I might have made my salary and a little more, but the place has become sort of a dollar movie house now so I doubt it.
You might want to be on the look out for Space X StarLink internet.

They are saying they will have nearly global coverage by the end of 2021 and claim they can deliver 50mbs to 150mbs with 20ms latency with pricing starting at $99 per month.

https://www.starlink.com/

Aug 16, 2012
Jeez... Have you looked into wireless internet options? Like home hotspots with cell phone carriers?
No but we are trying to get our house on the market so not too worried about it. Outside of the occasional issues noted, most of our internet time is on phones now.

Aug 16, 2012
You might want to be on the look out for Space X StarLink internet.

They are saying they will have nearly global coverage by the end of 2021 and claim they can deliver 50mbs to 150mbs with 20ms latency with pricing starting at $99 per month.

https://www.starlink.com/
Had thought about that, but see my most recent reply above. The sites we visit we can normally get to just fine or use our phones. Thanks for the suggestion.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Well, I've got ATT's 1000mbps internet package with free HBOmax now! And I'm saving $20/mo ($35 if you factor in the free HBOmax) from my 300mbps package!

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
So, these are going to be available for a PPV fee like Disney did with Mulan? Or these are going to be included with the HBO Max subscription?
Mulan is actually free now on Disney + (watched it last night with the kids) but these will be viewable on HBO Max at no additional cost

Which is what I wonder what Universal is going to do with their content next year. They agreed with theaters to only have them available in theaters for 17 days before they can start streaming. I have a crazy feeling I need to upgrade the surround sound in my house and get ready to rent a few new movies in 2021

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Mulan is actually free now on Disney + (watched it last night with the kids) but these will be viewable on HBO Max at no additional cost

Which is what I wonder what Universal is going to do with their content next year. They agreed with theaters to only have them available in theaters for 17 days before they can start streaming. I have a crazy feeling I need to upgrade the surround sound in my house and get ready to rent a few new movies in 2021
Yeah, kinda kicking myself for passing on buying the house that had the upstairs over garage bonus room with built in home theater system including projector....

Mar 11, 2006
Streaming services are making it difficult to decide on how to spend entertainment dollars.
1) Netflix
2) Prime Video
3) Disney + (w/ ESPN +)
4) Hulu
5) HBO Max
6) Peacock
7) Paramount + (formerly CBS All Access)
8) Starz
9) Epix
10) Plutotv. (free)
11) tubi (free)
12) xumo (free)

Content really will be king for streaming services charging north of $10. The amount spent on content will be in the billions for a couple of these services.