Vanderbilt Sarah Fuller

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
It just became more gimmicky. She kicks the 2 PAT's, but doesn't kick the 39 yard FG. If she would have kicked the FG, then it would have changed my opinion on the topic.

I've only seen the first PAT, she is lucky the rush wasn't from the other side of the Center. Barely squeaked by and the rush wasn't much.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Closer to Stillwater today than I was last year
Said this in my Sunday Morning thread, thought I would post it here too.

First, I want to say hat's off to Sarah Fuller. I was critical of Vanderbilt for the way they inserted her into the game before, a squibb kick when the game was pretty much over, and thus it was a gimmick. Her first kick yesterday was a PAT when the game was still competitive and she nailed it. Well done, Miss Fuller!

Miss Fuller, you get a helmet sticker.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
It just became more gimmicky. She kicks the 2 PAT's, but doesn't kick the 39 yard FG. If she would have kicked the FG, then it would have changed my opinion on the topic.

I've only seen the first PAT, she is lucky the rush wasn't from the other side of the Center. Barely squeaked by and the rush wasn't much.
I disagree. They have a kicker who is seeing first-ever game action. Kicking PATs is still putting points on the scoreboard that count. It's no longer a gimmick like the squibb kick.

PokeJ

Territorial Marshal
Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
First, I want to say hat's off to Sarah Fuller. I was critical of Vanderbilt for the way they inserted her into the game before, a squibb kick when the game was pretty much over, and thus it was a gimmick. Her first kick yesterday was a PAT when the game was still competitive and she nailed it. Well done, Miss Fuller!

Offense: B+
Honestly, this one is hard to grade. We scored plenty of points, racked up plenty of yards. But it never looked easy. Richardson showed a nice burst of speed. He also had a couple of "get off me" moments, the second one down on the goal line. When he lowered his head and drilled the linebacker, I swear it took to me like he broke the LB's clavicle. Once again, with Wallace out Stoner steps up. I love that kid, not the biggest, not the fastest, but just works his butt off. He gets my game ball.

The second interception was forgivable, it was a 50/50 ball. The first, I don't know if it his left shoulder bother him or what, but Sanders has been short-arming balls, and he short-armed that one. Had he followed through he would have led Stoner properly instead of throwing behind him.

My only issue was in the second-half was when we got the ball in plus territory after the shanked punt and we ran three straight line plunges, and then didn't pick up the 1.5 yards on 4th down. Sanders running laterally this year he has had a tendency to run laterally until he gets caught instead of turning up and getting what yards he can get. So, I didn't like the call, I didn't like the three calls before it. That's an opportunity to step on their throats. We did eventually score the step on their throats score, but scoring it right then would have been demoralizing, instead we handed them what little momentum they could handle.

Defense: A
The Baylor offense was simply overmatched. It was a near perfect performance by our defense. I only wish we had preserved the shut-out. But holding a Big 12 team other than Kansas to less than 10 points is a stellar performance.

Special teams: A
I mean, there really isn't a whole lot to say about special teams. You downgrade a little because we gave off a long kickoff return, and I wouldn't argue with that; though I'm certain there was a block in the back on the play that was missed.

Uniforms: A+
Oh...my goodness were those helmets gorgeous! I think they just became my all-time favorites! That script "Cowboys" is just beautiful! And I loved the OWO.

Officiating/video review: F
I think overall there was no problem with the officiating. However, the targeting review... I told the person that I was watching it with that it absolutely was targeting and it was absolutely going to be overturned on review. What has to happen for a targeting against us to actually be upheld? Hit someone in the head with a sledgehammer? What utter nonsense.

Helmet stickers: Sarah Fuller, Richardson, Stoner, Jackson, o-line, entire defense

Game ball: Stoner
My grandma could have kicked that extra point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX & Graz, Austria
I disagree. They have a kicker who is seeing first-ever game action. Kicking PATs is still putting points on the scoreboard that count. It's no longer a gimmick like the squibb kick.
Then we will disagree. It was a low kick and she was lucky it wasn't blocked. Vanderbilt got their name in the books for something other than losing and that is what they wanted.

Aug 16, 2012
I still see it as a stunt. One of the scholarship kickers hit a field goal earlier in the game, yet she was still deemed the best option for the PAT? Not buying it. All the spin in the world does not wash it from what it is.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I still see it as a stunt. One of the scholarship kickers hit a field goal earlier in the game, yet she was still deemed the best option for the PAT? Not buying it. All the spin in the world does not wash it from what it is.
If she were a freshman walkon kicker who had played soccer but had never played football you wouldn't see it as a stunt. She made a kick that mattered.
https://twitter.com/jonsolomonaspen/status/1338184469082214400?s=21
From the article:

Fuller would be an interesting footnote in the Vanderbilt season if it weren’t for gender. What makes this a story is that women are systematically excluded from men’s sports, so that when one of them works her way up to the starting roster, or takes an opportunity in the oddest of pandemic seasons, it’s a bit of a surprise. The gatekeepers let this one through!​
Women aren't "systematically excluded from men's sports." They can self-identify as male and play any men's sport they want, including football. The antecedent is true, men can self-identify as women and play women's sports. This is celebrated by many, but there are also many women athletes who think it is unfair because of the physical differences. The fact of the matter is, that there are physical differences between men and women that don't allow women to be position players in football above the junior high level, which rare exceptions, and certainly not above the high school level. Place kicking is the one place where they might be able to suit up.

The author made an interesting point about "first in Power 5".