UT's Tom Herman Fired

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
I'm still slightly stunned that Bob Stoops isn't coaching currently. (XFL doesn't count).
Although there was certainly a lot to hate about Bob, it looks like he may be one of the rare breed of people who has both the drive to reach the pinnacle of his profession but also the sense to quit while he is ahead and go enjoy life and family.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
I'm still slightly stunned that Bob Stoops isn't coaching currently. (XFL doesn't count).
This might have something to do with it. The guy should have plenty of money to live the rest of his life relatively stress free.

Stoops has always wanted to retire at this age
“In October of 1988, his father Ron was coach, a defensive coordinator at Cardinal Mooney, the high school in Youngstown, Ohio. His oldest brother, Ron Jr., was an assistant coach at a neighboring high school, and they played each other in October of 1988. Bob Stoops’ father, Ron, died that night of a massive heart attack on the field. He was 54 years old.
Bob Stoops has always said the mid-50s were his timing to get out of coaching, I think in large part due to what happened with his family and his family history, specifically that incident in October of 1988. Therefore, that to me makes a lot more sense just philosophically than running from some hypothetical controversy that could be coming down the road. This just makes sense, timing-wise, for Bob Stoops.”