UT's Tom Herman Fired

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
I'm convinced Yurcich got sold a bill of goods to go to tOSU. When Day replaced Meyer he almost immediately hired Yurcich at $1.28mm (with incentives) instead of promoting Kevin Wilson. The initial reports were that Yurcich's title was yet to be determined, but the accepted assumption was he would coach QB's (Day's former job) and call plays (Days former job) given the huge salary. Soon it became clear Day was going to retain play-calling while Yurcich would coach the QB's and coordinate the passing game. I believe Yurcich was under the distinct impression he was going to call plays.

Initial report from Letterman Row
Ohio State officially announced the hiring of Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich on Wednesday night as the Buckeyes new passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach. The impending hire by Ohio State had previously been reported by Lettermen Row senior writer Austin Ward.

The Buckeyes beat out a reported bid from Tennessee for his services, giving new head coach Ryan Day an accomplished name for the first new assistant coaching hire of his tenure. Yurcich spent the last six seasons at Oklahoma State, where the Cowboys were routinely among the most prolific and efficient offenses in the country.

“I am really excited to announce that Mike is joining the Ohio State staff,” Day said. “Mike is not only an Ohioan coming home, but he is also an extremely talented coach who has enjoyed success throughout his career. His Oklahoma State offenses have been among the most proficient in college football and I look forward to welcoming and introducing Mike and his family to our staff, players and community.”

Later from From Letterman Row:
Multiple sources have confirmed to Lettermen Row that Mike Yurcich is expected to be announced as a new hire at Texas this week, leaving the Buckeyes after one season working with the quarterbacks and serving as a co-offensive coordinator. And while that move might seem head-scratching on the surface, multiple sources have indicated to Lettermen Row that the seeds had been planted for months and this wasn’t an unexpected development for Day as he prepared for the offseason after the Fiesta Bowl loss to Clemson.

Yurcich was in charge of developing Justin Fields, and the sophomore turned into a Heisman Trophy finalist in his first season as a starter. So, there can’t be many complaints about his work there. And his success helping designs offenses at Oklahoma State was undeniable and put him on the radar for Day in the first place at this last year. But multiple sources suggested there wasn’t a culture fit for either party, and a separation will probably help both Yurcich get what he wants as a play-caller and Day gets another crack at identifying the right guy for the Buckeyes.

.........As much as Ohio State works to make building the offense a collaborative effort, there’s certainly a pecking order when it comes to credit for the way the high-powered attack performs. Ryan Day is at the top of the pyramid as the play-caller, and right there alongside him is right-hand man Kevin Wilson — with those two continuing to push the envelope thanks to great chemistry and innovative thinking. Yurcich has had plenty of success leading an offense in the past, but he was never going to be a primary play-caller with the Buckeyes, which could have dampened his chances of getting a head-coaching job down the road. Taking over at Texas under another offensive guru in former Ohio State coordinator Tom Herman might not get him exactly what he wants either, but it’s not a surprise that Yurcich would take that chance back in a league he knows well.
So do you think they hired Yurchich just for QB development??

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
So do you think they hired Yurchich just for QB development??
I think Urban Meyer (who talks highly of Gundy) convinced Day to hire Yurcich as a replacement for Day - his first and most logical move. Day nodded and immediately hired Yurcich with most everyone believing Yurcich would step into Day's shoes. It was only after getting everyone hired and assigned new duties that Yurcich wound up with just coaching the QB's and coordinating the passing game. You have to admit bringing in Yurcich at that salary when Kevin Wilson was making $750k certainly signals more responsibility for Yurcich. But a month after hiring Yurcich, Day bumps Wilson pay to equal Yurcich. It all has a very weird feel to it. Was not surprised whatsoever Yurcich left to go to UT despite the risk of Herman flaming out.

Nov 6, 2010
I think Urban Meyer (who talks highly of Gundy) convinced Day to hire Yurcich as a replacement for Day - his first and most logical move. Day nodded and immediately hired Yurcich with most everyone believing Yurcich would step into Day's shoes. It was only after getting everyone hired and assigned new duties that Yurcich wound up with just coaching the QB's and coordinating the passing game. You have to admit bringing in Yurcich at that salary when Kevin Wilson was making $750k certainly signals more responsibility for Yurcich. But a month after hiring Yurcich, Day bumps Wilson pay to equal Yurcich. It all has a very weird feel to it. Was not surprised whatsoever Yurcich left to go to UT despite the risk of Herman flaming out.
Clearly, but my question was more why did they want Yurchich so badly in the first place?? Just the Meyer sway??

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
Clearly, but my question was more why did they want Yurchich so badly in the first place?? Just the Meyer sway??
Whether OSU fans want to believe it or not, Yurcich was highly regarded nationally. Add to that his Ohio roots. Made perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2006
The problem with Texas is not coaches or players (directly), it is a culture problem that starts with the donor class. The big money donors think their money buys them some control over the program and the players are treated like royalty and their is no accountability.

If Alabama is the marines, UT is Hollywood. To win big again UT will need a personality that is bigger than the program and donor class. Meyer, Swinney, or Saban could do it, but they aren't coming. They need to hire a successful coach from the NFL.

Jul 5, 2020
Broken Arrow
The problem with Texas is not coaches or players (directly), it is a culture problem that starts with the donor class. The big money donors think their money buys them some control over the program and the players are treated like royalty and their is no accountability.

If Alabama is the marines, UT is Hollywood. To win big again UT will need a personality that is bigger than the program and donor class. Meyer, Swinney, or Saban could do it, but they aren't coming. They need to hire a successful coach from the NFL.
Cowher? Bienemy?

OrangeFan69

LA Face with an Okla. booty.
A/V Subscriber
Apr 24, 2010
Los Angeles 90046
instagram.com
Hiring Yurich was a desperate move for Herman to keep his job by firing both coordinators. Yurcich looks like a good OC and had years in the recruiting region. But he couldn’t recruit and racked up most of his points and yardage vs the G5, FCS and Jayhawks of the world.

He’s not a P5 OC

Nov 6, 2010
Hiring Yurich was a desperate move for Herman to keep his job by firing both coordinators. Yurcich looks like a good OC and had years in the recruiting region. But he couldn’t recruit and racked up most of his points and yardage vs the G5, FCS and Jayhawks of the world.

He’s not a P5 OC
I was asking about why Ohio State wanted him so badly if they only intended for him to coach QB's and not be a true OC, which is what I understood Gumby to be saying.

Apr 14, 2009
I believe the stunning success of the backup QB Thompson in the bowl game got the Texass head coach fired.
Boosters where saying WTF!!!