USC and UCLA to the BIG10 in 2024

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
Total revenue is a reflection of how much money athletic departments generate. Clemson generates more money than UNC, because they're more successful. They average 2.67M viewers per game. UNC only average 749K.

The only way I can see someone valuing UNC higher than Clemson is if they factor in academics.
If you think you know more than the people that do this for a living, be my guest. I’m not here to argue the merits of the analysis, but simply passing on the information.

That said, it’s not far fetched. Charlotte is one of the largest media markets in the country and aside from academics, UNC basketball is a valuable property. Clemson has neither of those going for it.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
If you think you know more than the people that do this for a living, be my guest. I’m not here to argue the merits of the analysis, but simply passing on the information.

That said, it’s not far fetched. Charlotte is one of the largest media markets in the country and aside from academics, UNC basketball is a valuable property. Clemson has neither of those going for it.
I don't think I know more than anyone. I was just wondering what numbers they were using for their valuations, because they don't seem logical to me.

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
I'm not talking about the conferences, I'm talking about Pete Thamel and Paul Finebaum. My assumption is that they're looking primarily at athletics with their valuations.
I’ll say it again. This was not Thamel and Finebaum sharing their thoughts. This was intel from the consultants who advise the media companies on these matters.

Aug 7, 2006
UNC has everything the BIG 10 covets in new members... AAU, a large fanbase in a highly populated area they aren't currently in and a pretty good all-around athletic department. Plus they participate in a lot of sports the BIG 10 sponsors(lacrosse, field hockey, etc...). Wouldn't surprise me at all if UNC and UVA are in the BIG 10 in the near future.

Jun 20, 2013
I say take a big swing here, invite Clemson, Florida St, Oregon and Stanford, ACC teams have to be getting a little antsy. But would settle for Arizona schools, Utah and anybody other than Colorado from the Pac, I have zero interest in getting them back.
I agree with you. B10 and SEC are trying to get to 20 schools. the B12's best bet is to beat them there. We currently have 12 (including newbies/excluding traitors). If you add both arizona schools, utah, both oregon schools, Cal, and two of Florida State/Miami/Stanford/Clemson (although I think clem is sec bound), you can market yourself as a coast to coast superconference that can compete with anyone. Our new AD could sell this to any of Amazon/YT/Apple as the one conference that will demand viewership across every time zone. That would also give us 6 AAU schools. Not a ton, but better than the one we have now.

The other option is to bail on the B12 and hope for an invite to sec or b10 country. I'd rather have option 1, which would provide a national fanbase to tell the other two to shove it, and would be cool to have 4 5 team pods to somewhat limit travel.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
UNC has everything the BIG 10 covets in new members... AAU, a large fanbase in a highly populated area they aren't currently in and a pretty good all-around athletic department. Plus they participate in a lot of sports the BIG 10 sponsors(lacrosse, field hockey, etc...). Wouldn't surprise me at all if UNC and UVA are in the BIG 10 in the near future.
UNC average tv viewership in 2021 came in at 36th, at just over 1 million per televised football game. For reference OSU was 22nd at 1.58 millon per game, a little more than 500,000 per game more viewers. UNC would be at the lower end of either the BIG or the SEC conferences. Nice athletic program, maybe a little short on veiwership.

Virginia comes in at 51st with 0.6 million average viewers per televised football game. That's only slightly above Kansas. Don't think they are going anywhere.

Here's a list of 2021 football tv viewership by school.

NCAA Football Viewership by School

PistolPete'sMustache

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Only if 24 is the magic number. The first domino is Notre Dame. They have to be pressing them hard right now to just get off the pot already. With USC and UCLA they're at 16. If Notre Dame joins, it'll then be Stanford, Oregon, and Washington to get to 20. If they really want the heart of the ACC they'll get UNC, Duke, UVA, and someone else out of VT, GT, Pitt, or KU.

If 24 is the number and the ACC is dead, I can see the SEC adding FSU, Clemson, Miami, I hope us, and then some combination of VT, GT, KU, WVU, maybe even ISU.

But Notre Dame has to finally see that independence just won't work in the new media world.

Jun 20, 2013
I agree with you. B10 and SEC are trying to get to 20 schools. the B12's best bet is to beat them there. We currently have 12 (including newbies/excluding traitors). If you add both arizona schools, utah, both oregon schools, Cal, and two of Florida State/Miami/Stanford/Clemson (although I think clem is sec bound), you can market yourself as a coast to coast superconference that can compete with anyone. Our new AD could sell this to any of Amazon/YT/Apple as the one conference that will demand viewership across every time zone. That would also give us 6 AAU schools. Not a ton, but better than the one we have now.

The other option is to bail on the B12 and hope for an invite to sec or b10 country. I'd rather have option 1, which would provide a national fanbase to tell the other two to shove it, and would be cool to have 4 5 team pods to somewhat limit travel.
Also, it'd be really cool to see us go to series for non-football sports. It would limit travel expenses, and might be neat to watch basketball have a friday/Sunday series against an opponent every other year instead of a home/away schedule.

Sep 2, 2014
Only if 24 is the magic number. The first domino is Notre Dame. They have to be pressing them hard right now to just get off the pot already. With USC and UCLA they're at 16. If Notre Dame joins, it'll then be Stanford, Oregon, and Washington to get to 20. If they really want the heart of the ACC they'll get UNC, Duke, UVA, and someone else out of VT, GT, Pitt, or KU.

If 24 is the number and the ACC is dead, I can see the SEC adding FSU, Clemson, Miami, I hope us, and then some combination of VT, GT, KU, WVU, maybe even ISU.

But Notre Dame has to finally see that independence just won't work in the new media world.
i think if we want a shot at the SEC, we should hope that 24 is the number.

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
I like when you guys talk about academics for athletic conferences. Especially in the age of NIL compensations in the 7 figures and paid mercenaries, I mean “student athletes” transferring all over the place year after year.

College athletics as you knew it is dead and gone.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2014
I like when you guys talk about academics for athletic conferences. Especially in the age of NIL compensations in the 7 figures and paid mercenaries transferring all over the place year after year.
the big 10 at least attempts to pass the illusion that academics still matter. It’s not their top factor, but when they can choose between any program not already in the sec then the can have the programs that the media seems to care about and passed muster on academics.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I like when you guys talk about academics for athletic conferences. Especially in the age of NIL compensations in the 7 figures and paid mercenaries, I mean “student athletes” transferring all over the place year after year.
This. I almost posted earlier (and pulled my finger off the trigger), but at this point whatTF does academics have to do with any of this that is going on right now?!?? This is a money/viewers grab... driven pretty much solely by football blue bloods... who couldn't care less about academics in any of this.

Or at least I don't think they care. Hell, who the hell knows anymore. Such a clustersmurf. :runaway:

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
the big 10 at least attempts to pass the illusion that academics still matter. It’s not their top factor, but when they can choose between any program not already in the sec then the can have the programs that the media seems to care about and passed muster on academics.
I don’t disagree. I just find it laughable that the illusion exists and we continue to play along with their pretentious horseshit.

Josh Rosen while at vaunted academic powerhouse UCLA said “class Is a waste of time, we came here to play football not play school.” So did Cardale Jones at (sticks nose in air and juts out lower jaw) AAU Ohio State.

Last edited:

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
This. I almost posted earlier (and pulled my finger off the trigger), but at this point whatTF does academics have to do with any of this that is going on right now?!?? This is a money/viewers grab... driven pretty much solely by football blue bloods... who couldn't care less about academics in any of this.

Or at least I don't think they care. Hell, who the hell knows anymore. Such a clustersmurf. :runaway:
We're witnessing the killing of the Golden Goose that was college athletics, imo. Areas of the country where followings aren't as passionate and the college team isn't the only thing to do will simply lose more interest. Then you add in destroying the continuity of programs' identities with the transfer portal and NIL, and you've fundamentally changed the landscape.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
“Although, this move increases travel distances for teams, the resources offered by Big Ten members may allow for more efficient transportation options,” UCLA chancellor Gene D. Block said in a letter to UCLA fans on Thursday. “We would also explore scheduling accommodations with the Big Ten that best support our student-athletes’ academic pursuits.”

He was not specific. A return of Concorde air travel with improvements or importing Japan’s bullet trains, perhaps?

Block hopes new Name, Image & Likeness opportunities for UCLA and their impact on recruiting and thus potential championships will offset any jet lag.

“Big Ten membership offers Bruins exciting, new competitive opportunities and a broader national media platform for our student-athletes to compete and showcase their talents,” he said. “Specifically, this move will enhance Name, Image and Likeness opportunities through greater exposure for our student-athletes and offer new partnerships with entities across the country.”

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007

Conference affiliation goes beyond just athletics. The B1G has what they call the Big Ten Academic Alliance. Their conference receives over $10B in research funding every year. I'm not sure how it all works, but this is why they primarily go after AAU schools.

The SEC doesn't care. :D They just want schools that will generate athletic dollars.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
We're witnessing the killing of the Golden Goose that was college athletics, imo. Areas of the country where followings aren't as passionate and the college team isn't the only thing to do will simply lose more interest. Then you add in destroying the continuity of programs' identities with the transfer portal and NIL, and you've fundamentally changed the landscape.
THIS ^^^
I think the 'powers that be' overestimate fan's desire to root for teams besides their own. If my team is 'out' of any conversation and relegated to tier 2 or lower status. I have absolutely zero interest in watching the schools/teams that made that possible and would prefer to spend my time doing other things than watching what is being force fed to me.

Jun 20, 2013

I agree. Doesn't do anything from an athletic standpoint, but provides additional (significant) revenue streams for the universities. Theoretically, this ensures the longevities of those institutions and eliminates the need for the school to decide between academics and sports in terms of where revenue dollars go. All in all, you want the most financially stable schools possible, and you want part of that stability to come from conference affiliation revenue. People make bad long term decisions when they feel financial pressure (see OU).

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
THIS ^^^
I think the 'powers that be' overestimate fan's desire to root for teams besides their own. If my team is 'out' of any conversation and relegated to tier 2 or lower status. I have absolutely zero interest in watching the schools/teams that made that possible and would prefer to spend my time doing other things than watching what is being force fed to me.
Live sports accounted for 90 of the top 100 TV broadcasts last year. The TV networks have now gotten powerful enough that what was a semi-organic landscape in college sports is turning into a commoditized, planned for largest viewership TV product. They're literally going to shove 40 brands down the throat of the nation.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Live sports accounted for 90 of the top 100 TV broadcasts last year. The TV networks have now gotten powerful enough that what was a semi-organic landscape in college sports is turning into a commoditized, planned for largest viewership TV product. They're literally going to shove 40 brands down the throat of the nation.
Actually college football wasn't in the top four or five of sports viewing.