USC and UCLA to the BIG10 in 2024

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 29, 2014
Average football TV viewership per the remaining free agent schools:
1. Notre Dame - (3.61M)
2. Clemson - (2.67M)
3. Florida State - (2.23M)
4. Oklahoma State - (1.64M)
5. Miami - (1.503M)
6. TCU - (1.495M)
7. Stanford - (1.43M)
8. Oregon - (1.34M)
9. Washington - (1.32M)
10. West Virginia - (1.27M)

My best bet is that Notre Dame and a few more Pac 12 schools go to the B1G to get them to 20.

The ACC has a TV deal that locks their schools in until 2036. Any team that left early would have to pay a $52M exit fee and forfeit their TV rights for the next 14 years! The only way that could happen is if enough teams left to dissolve their conference.

If the SEC plans to go to 20 teams anytime soon, we may have a real shot at getting an invite. They don't care about academic prestige, and we bring TV viewers.
It's about the money. Do we bring more than we take? They already have our TV market.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
This whole thing is gross. I'll still follow basketball, but this crap kills my interest in football especially because that's what's driving all of this. We're either going to be irrelevant or we're never going to play schools like k state on a regular basis. It's just semi pro sports with a meaningless attachment to a university. It was always a bit that way, but now that's all it is in these super conferences. I want somebody to blame, but I think that someone is all of us who spent time and money inadvertently making college football so lucrative.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Something is going to happen, it might be good or it might be bad but it's coming. If 16 teams is the thing then expect us to pull in four teams, if it's 20 teams we won't be in the Big XII. The two Joe's have a chance to fix their deceit. I think Shrm and Weiberg will pull this off to the benefit our beloved Pokes.

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
Why UCLA and not Oregon? BIG10 wanted to lock SEC out of L.A. market. Which tells me it’s not all about TV ratings, there is some strategy here. Once you put Ohio St, Penn St, Mich on your schedule, your viewers go up substantially on average. The same way ours do with TX and ou. So if viewers don’t matter, who gets the last few seats at the big boy football table? Clearly Oregon is the most interesting, then who?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
the thought of Colorado in our conference again makes me wanna puke. They are a terrible and provide absolutely zero value to the conference. I'd prefer a longer flight to Oregon WAY before settling for the bottom feeder colorado.
Yo they got some dank ass weed tho

I’m kidding

I’m a square

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
How? Big East had something like a 20 mil exit fee back in the day. That isn't the case now. It is a GRANT OF RIGHTS! I was feeling pretty hopeless until I read about it lasting until 2036. Just to be clear, this doesn't mean the exit fee is equal to their cut through 2036 as some seem to be saying (something around 400 million). it means the ACC OWNS their rights until 2036. If Clemson or FSU left for the SEC, the ACC would get all the TV money Clemson made playing in the SEC until 2036. Who would sign up for that?
To that I’d say there is always a loophole, an exclusion, a lawsuit, a negotiation. A contract is only as good as your ability to negotiate and/or defend it.

If the powers that be want a certain outcome, they can make it happen.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
It's about the money. Do we bring more than we take? They already have our TV market.
Respectfully disagree. In todays age with streaming, it's about eyeballs, not about market. If it was, they'd take Houston over Arky. There's more eyeballs in Houston even with A&M/LSU/UT than the whole Arkansas 'market'. Same goes for DFW market with TCU/SMU.

If there's anything I do know, it's that none of us really 'know' what lies ahead. All of us are just hopeful when the seemingly inevitable happens, which is that football breaks off from NCAA and does its own thing, that oSu has a seat at the table. When that happens, you basically have to consider what model the new football will look like and how many seats are at the table. I think it will just mirror NFL, and be somewhere between 32-40 teams. IMO, hopefully (2) 20-team mega conferences with (4) 5-team divisions. Those 'divisions' winners play for conf championship, then conf champ moves to NCG.

Assuming the schools who already have a seat but don't carry their weight (looking at you Vandy, Mizzou, Kent, Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue) stay within the existing structure of SEC/B1G then you only have 8 seats to fill. If you research the games which had most TV viewers each week, oSu is squarely in the mix for weekly viewership. We're ranked #19. If you put us in a stronger conference with larger footprint of viewers and more compelling matchups, that number only increases.

If the 'big boy table' only has 32 seats then it's already set with SEC/B1G and we're out in the cold along with some other strong programs (Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Oregon, Washington). Let's face it, ND is not going to be left out of this (and probably Clemson and FSU too), so for that reason alone I lean toward 40-teams in which case I'm optimistic oSu is IN.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
ASU has 17 conference titles. I’d take them. They are in the Phoenix market with a lot of eyeballs.
All but three of those football titles were in the Border or the WAC conference. They have 3 PAC 10 football conference titles, 1986, 1996 and the last in 2007. During the 2000's they have been 5-10 in bowl games, and have not qualified for a bowl in 8 out of 23 seasons. They haven't been really good for a while now. I don't know what kind of tv numbers they have, but what you would be taking is a mediocre program in a fairly large tv market.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
SEC already has OK market, would not gain one viewer. Big10 is snooty on false pretenses.
That's not true. I'm one viewer and they would gain me if OSU were invited to the conference.

Joking aside there is one thing we could bring the SEC. Who else is ou going to play rivalry weekend when there are 3 days of games to broadcast. It won't be ut because they will keep their traditional county fair matchup. It won't be A&M because they will be playing Texas.

What other opponent in the sec, available that weekend will bring more viewers than Bedlam.

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
A few notes:
1. The Pac 12 has some of the most lucrative media markets in our country, but they have the worst TV deal due to their poor viewership numbers.
2. The B1G already has a strong market share in Indiana, but I expect them to add Notre Dame. The SEC already has a strong market share in Florida and South Carolina, but I expect them to add Florida State and Clemson if possible.
3. The SEC only has part of the Oklahoma market. There are a lot of OSU fans that won't watch OU games, especially now that they've left the conference high and dry.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
How? Big East had something like a 20 mil exit fee back in the day. That isn't the case now. It is a GRANT OF RIGHTS! I was feeling pretty hopeless until I read about it lasting until 2036. Just to be clear, this doesn't mean the exit fee is equal to their cut through 2036 as some seem to be saying (something around 400 million). it means the ACC OWNS their rights until 2036. If Clemson or FSU left for the SEC, the ACC would get all the TV money Clemson made playing in the SEC until 2036. Who would sign up for that?
You are thinking to narrow. A good lawyer could figure out how Clemson would not get any SEC TV money (so zero to the ACC) but Clemson would get $50MM/yr in "payments in kind" that are not linked (at least on paper) to the TV revenue that they generate by being part of SEC.
Heck, a good lawyer could call Force Majeure and blow the current Grant of Right out of the water.
So don't count on the GOR as OSUs savior.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Why UCLA and not Oregon? BIG10 wanted to lock SEC out of L.A. market. Which tells me it’s not all about TV ratings, there is some strategy here. Once you put Ohio St, Penn St, Mich on your schedule, your viewers go up substantially on average. The same way ours do with TX and ou. So if viewers don’t matter, who gets the last few seats at the big boy football table? Clearly Oregon is the most interesting, then who?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree about "locking SEC out". Pure blue blood ranking:
USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon

Why step down to #4 when you can get #1 and #2 (and there is a HUGE gap between #2 and #3)?

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
What would be interesting is if lets say the B1G and the SEC would actually go to 24 teams. Once at 24 teams they could be in a good position to fully remove themselves from the NCAA overview and become their own league. I know its far fetched but it could be an interesting end game.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
That's not true. I'm one viewer and they would gain me if OSU were invited to the conference.

Joking aside there is one thing we could bring the SEC. Who else is ou going to play rivalry weekend when there are 3 days of games to broadcast. It won't be ut because they will keep their traditional county fair matchup. It won't be A&M because they will be playing Texas.

What other opponent in the sec, available that weekend will bring more viewers than Bedlam.
LSU?

Sep 6, 2014
What would be interesting is if lets say the B1G and the SEC would actually go to 24 teams. Once at 24 teams they could be in a good position to fully remove themselves from the NCAA overview and become their own league. I know its far fetched but it could be an interesting end game.
it's not far fetched at all, it is what is going to happen. It's going to basically be the same as the NFL with NFC (BIG 10) vs AFC (SEC) complete with regional divisions and playoffs with the winners of the Big 10 vs SEC for the championship. Hopefully we get into one of the midwest/central divisions

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
The ACC is fine through the 2030s with their tv deal, so I don’t see them getting raided YET. Big 12 needs to act now. Oregon and Washington will also go big.

The obvious answer is the right one: Arizona schools, Utah, Colorado. Look to add Louisville and pitt to get to 18 maybe Miami and NC State to get to 20. We will be second tier but the 3rd beet conference with a coupe of the biggest schools in the country