USC and UCLA to the BIG10 in 2024

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
new report saying Big 12 looking to take Arizona/Arizona State, Utah and Colorado. Literally only 1 good football program not sure how that helps us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the thought of Colorado in our conference again makes me wanna puke. They are a terrible and provide absolutely zero value to the conference. I'd prefer a longer flight to Oregon WAY before settling for the bottom feeder colorado.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
new report saying Big 12 looking to take Arizona/Arizona State, Utah and Colorado. Literally only 1 good football program not sure how that helps us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope that's not true--would be a colossal mistake. We've got to be strategic--cannot afford any missteps.

Apr 14, 2008
Texas
Is this 2021. Was there recent PAC 12 media days? Did someone ask George Kliavkoff if he was concerned about expansion? Did he say it wasn't one of those things that kept him up at night? Sounds familiar...

Dec 3, 2012
I think this news is a positive for OSU.

It seems to me that the current landscape is untenable. The SEC is set to make significantly more than all other conferences. This means the SEC’s position improves every season the rest of college football does nothing. Of course, the big names outside the SEC were going to respond.

Option A: They could join the SEC to form one mega conference. Today’s news could have been USC/UCLA to join the SEC, which would have been the worst possible news for OSU. This is because, in a vacuum, OSU offers nothing (viewership, recruits, etc.) to the SEC that OU doesn’t already provide.

However, by going to the BIG, the power brokers of the PAC have chosen…

Option B: Form a viable competitor to the SEC. This is a much better scenario for OSU, because we offer plenty (viewership, recruits, etc.) to the BIG that they don’t already have. In an arms race between the SEC and BIG, it’s not inconceivable that one would find value in OSU - either to access a premier program in this region or to prevent the BIG from accessing it.

Although this is a positive, I wouldn’t hold your breath for an an invite anytime soon. What OSU needs to do is keep winning games, keep building its national image and be ready if/when those two conferences want to expand.

Sep 2, 2014
Oregon, Utah, and Washington or don't bother.

Colorado can go stick it. They started this whole thing.
Didn’t we start it with Colorado (and the other four), causing Nebraska to jump? Colorado just followed through, we didn’t. But I do agree with them sticking it regardless.

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
I think this news is a positive for OSU.

It seems to me that the current landscape is untenable. The SEC is set to make significantly more than all other conferences. This means the SEC’s position improves every season the rest of college football does nothing. Of course, the big names outside the SEC were going to respond.

Option A: They could join the SEC to form one mega conference. Today’s news could have been USC/UCLA to join the SEC, which would have been the worst possible news for OSU. This is because, in a vacuum, OSU offers nothing (viewership, recruits, etc.) to the SEC that OU doesn’t already provide.

However, by going to the BIG, the power brokers of the PAC have chosen…

Option B: Form a viable competitor to the SEC. This is a much better scenario for OSU, because we offer plenty (viewership, recruits, etc.) to the BIG that they don’t already have. In an arms race between the SEC and BIG, it’s not inconceivable that one would find value in OSU - either to access a premier program in this region or to prevent the BIG from accessing it.

Although this is a positive, I wouldn’t hold your breath for an an invite anytime soon. What OSU needs to do is keep winning games, keep building its national image and be ready if/when those two conferences want to expand.
There is already a competitor to the SEC...the B1G. OSU's only option is to try to get into the SEC because they won't be able to get into the B1G due to the academics. Oregon, Washington, Cal, Stanford, Colorado, Utah, North Carolina, and Duke are all AAU schools, meaning there are several viable schools to invite before changing their academic invitation rules. I think the only school the B1G waives that rule for is Notre Dame.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Didn’t we start it with Colorado (and the other four), causing Nebraska to jump? Colorado just followed through, we didn’t. But I do agree with them sticking it regardless.
It was supposed to be the Big 12 South minus Baylor, and Colorado. It leaked before everything was finalized and there were rumblings Baylor alumni were going to try to force Baylor in CU's place, so CU went first to block that.