USC and UCLA to the BIG10 in 2024

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
Crazy (maybe stupid) idea, but it occurred to me that rather than being reactive and waiting on the B1G and SEC to take their pick of whomever they want, what if Yormark aggressively went after Oregon, Washington, Utah, out west, and then offered to pay the GOR exit fees for Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC and VaTech. (as an investment for the future,) to get the B12 to 20 teams before the the B1G and SEC. That would make for a true coast-to-coast footprint, powerful brands, great teams in multiple sports, great mix of AAU/non-AAU schools, and enough geographic proximity by region to maintain some good rivalries, along with some intriguing schedules going forward. And no one could realistically say that the B12 was a second-rate league at that point. You could market the crap out of that. Of course, I could be wrong;-)
The networks will buy off all of those schools except Utah for the B1G and SEC. The Big 12 can't afford that kind of move, and even if it could, why would any of those schools join when the opportunity to join the superconferences will be given to them?

Dec 19, 2012
Start big and work your way down. Ultimately, the lower teams will still be there. You can predict who the Big Ten and SEC will invite.

Start with ND, hell of a long shot, but they really don't like the Big Ten and don't want the difficulty of the SEC. If they somehow say yes, you become appealing to Oregon, Stanford, Washington, FSU, and Clemson (even though the ACC is likely way down the road).

Keep in mind, it's all TV viewership numbers now. We may even want to let ND start a new conference with all the best of the ACC, Big XII, and PAC 12. It cuts the unprofitable schools to make you the most relevant with Big Ten and SEC monetarily. You'd still probably be 75% of what they make instead of maybe 50% with a successful expansion now that doesn't include ND.

Jul 23, 2021
jonesboro arkansas
Easy, his best source for news is Finebaum callers
i dont watch finebaum without frank broyles arkansas wouild be in the same shape u are in right now arkansas has to be the only school with 3 top 25 major sports programs a top 5 baseball program a top 10 basketball program and a top 25 football program and yes ND couild join the sec
1 they hate the bigten for not letting them in in the 40's
2 they wouild love to stick it to their ex football coach
3 they prefer the ACC but if the SEC raids the ACC
ND will have littie choice but to pick a conf by 2036

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
The networks will buy off all of those schools except Utah for the B1G and SEC. The Big 12 can't afford that kind of move, and even if it could, why would any of those schools join when the opportunity to join the superconferences will be given to them?
You make them an offer they can’t refuse. Instead of joining one of the two “super conferences”, you become THE super conference. Go ahead and add Louisville, Duke, Virginia and NC St, to get to 24, pay half the GOR exit fee for each school, they pay the other half, with a $120M/Year guarantee once the media deals are done. Keeps the Elite of the ACC intact, the current B12 intact. And the best three remaining of the Pac12 intact. The league would be anchored on both coasts with marquee teams in Oregon and Clemson, OSU/Baylor/et.al. In the middle. The top three or four teams in the league would have a clear path to an expanded playoff.

superpoke

Territorial Marshal
Jun 28, 2005
Orange Country USA
You make them an offer they can’t refuse. Instead of joining one of the two “super conferences”, you become THE super conference. Go ahead and add Louisville, Duke, Virginia and NC St, to get to 24, pay half the GOR exit fee for each school, they pay the other half, with a $120M/Year guarantee once the media deals are done. Keeps the Elite of the ACC intact, the current B12 intact. And the best three remaining of the Pac12 intact. The league would be anchored on both coasts with marquee teams in Oregon and Clemson, OSU/Baylor/et.al. In the middle. The top three or four teams in the league would have a clear path to an expanded playoff.
The offer they can't refuse is going to come from ESPN or Fox. The Big 12 doesn't have anywhere near the money you're suggesting it spend, and it's not going to come in the next media deal either.

And I think expecting an expanded playoff is wishful thinking. These are consolidation moves for the networks. Access is much more likely to be reduced.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
This seems unsustainable on so many fronts. The only path I see is for these schools to either drop most of their non-revenue sports OR there is some move to create football-only "conferences" for these super leagues. It doesn't seem possible that these schools could afford the travel expenses for all their men's and women's teams within the Big 10 or SEC since they are coast-to-coast at that point.

Then you throw in Title IX, NIL, etc....and this is just the beginning.

Like someone else said, I could see the Federal Government getting involved in this, because the current pace is going to destroy so much for the sake of like two media companies.

Count me as one of the people who just lost nearly all of the remaining interest I had in college athletics. I already couldn't keep up with the transfers. Now I can't keep up with who is in what conference. It's clearly all about money, and that just doesn't interest me as much.

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
The offer they can't refuse is going to come from ESPN or Fox. The Big 12 doesn't have anywhere near the money you're suggesting it spend, and it's not going to come in the next media deal either.
That's why I'm suggesting corporate sponsorship. At this point, it's professional football; put the power of Nike, Dick's Sporting Goods, Tesla and Coca-Cola (as examples) behind it.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
This seems unsustainable on so many fronts. The only path I see is for these schools to either drop most of their non-revenue sports OR there is some move to create football-only "conferences" for these super leagues. It doesn't seem possible that these schools could afford the travel expenses for all their men's and women's teams within the Big 10 or SEC since they are coast-to-coast at that point.

Then you throw in Title IX, NIL, etc....and this is just the beginning.

Like someone else said, I could see the Federal Government getting involved in this, because the current pace is going to destroy so much for the sake of like two media companies.

Count me as one of the people who just lost nearly all of the remaining interest I had in college athletics. I already couldn't keep up with the transfers. Now I can't keep up with who is in what conference. It's clearly all about money, and that just doesn't interest me as much.
Football only conferences makes a lot of sense. Don’t understand how this concept is so far beyond people who run universities. You know, people who are supposed to be smart.

And yes, the transfer portal plus NIL is nothing but toxic.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
The craziest thing about this is after the ou/ut announcement, the ACC, BIG and PAC formed their alliance and made the decision to stand pat. At the time, I believed it was that, more than anything that kept the PAC and BIG from trying to pick some teams from the Big 12 for expansion. Now I wonder if the BIG, USC and UCLA were already thinking about this and simply wanted to prevent any movement before they could finalize it. The ACC and the other schools in the PAC just got played. If this had come out about the same time, I have no doubt that the ACC and the remaining PAC would have formed that alliance with the Big 12 instead of the BIG and who knows how different things would look right now.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
If USC/UCLA had left last year instead of 0u/uT , the current Big12 would be looking to add Oregon, Washington, Utah Az, ASU, and BYU while keeping 0u and uT.

that would be a Superconference to rival the BIGs new footprint
and the SEC would be left to find its next best two teams to get to 16 with the ACC trying to add 2 also (and fight off SEC)

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Football only conferences makes a lot of sense. Don’t understand how this concept is so far beyond people who run universities. You know, people who are supposed to be smart.
It obvious that you have put no actual thought into this proposal while criticizing leadership for not considering this plan.

This is would be contactual, financial, logistical, and branding nightmare. It would require a complete renovation of college athletics. Basically starting over from scratch.

It would require termination of hundreds of Billions of dollars in contracts. It would be a massive power struggle, especially from programs that are fighting to stay relevant.

That’s just the start of the problem.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
If I were Big-12 Commissioner for a day.....

I'd invite Oregon/Wash/Az/Az St/Utah/Colorado. That puts the Big-12 to 18 teams after the exit of OU/Texas. I'd have two divisions, an East and West. I would have 8 Divisional games, 2 cross-over games to the other division, and 2 true non-conference games. The Divisions would be:

East:
Oklahoma St
Baylor
Houston
Kansas
Kansas St
Iowa St
Cinn
West Virg
UCF.

West:
Oregon
Washington
Arizona
Arizona St.
Colorado
Utah
BYU
Texas Tech
TCU.

I think that would make the Big-12 a viable Super Conference for the future...

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
The Oasis
redcircle.com
It obvious that you have put no actual thought into this proposal while criticizing leadership for not considering this plan.

This is would be contactual, financial, logistical, and branding nightmare. It would require a complete renovation of college athletics. Basically starting over from scratch.

It would require termination of hundreds of Billions of dollars in contracts. It would be a massive power struggle, especially from programs that are fighting to stay relevant.

That’s just the start of the problem.
Sorry I hurt your feelings. So you think we’re not seeing the complete renovation of “college athletics” right now? Ok.

Sep 29, 2006
Why has there been no talk about several B12 schools joining the ACC instead of all the PAC 12. It’s a better fit in my mind especially for the eastern side teams like UCF and Cinn.