USC and UCLA to the BIG10 in 2024

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Not sure why anyone would want to dump WVU.
WVU will be one of the better teams not getting into the SEC or BIG.
BYU is actually better than most of the remaining PAC schools.

No team from ACC can get out until 2030 earliest, and that still leaves them 6 years to buy out.

I think the big 12 will poach the 4 best pac teams to get to 16 and call it a day.

I dont think any remaining team in the big 12 is getting an invite to the BIG or SEC.

oregon and washington move the needle for the BIG, no one else.
Kansas could possibly get an invite to BIG for iconic hoops, but i doubt it. PAC teams are much better.

SEC will likely just wait and add VT, NC State, Clemson, and FSU in 2030.
Why do you say 2030? The ACC GOR expires in 2036.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Then explain the value of OU football to the SEC. OU is not in a "market"; the entire population of the state of Oklahoma is less than the population of the Dallas metro area. Why were they coveted by ESPN and the SEC? They have tradition, winning, and most of all top 10 average tv viewship per game. People watch their games. ESPN and Fox Sports networks provide the $$$; and they are calling the shots, and they are interested in viewers. There are more examples.

Getting a conference on tv in a new large market may have some purpose - Rutgers has just over 0.5 million viewers per game, but provided the BIG 10 access to the incredibly huge NYC market. Their are very few "markets" that are large enough for the sports networks to justify taking a team with less than 1.0 million viewers per game. In the majority of cases the valued teams must have high viewership per games.

It's what has killed the PAC 12. The conference has access to several large to huge markets, but unfortunately very few viewers in those markets were watching their games. Average viewership for mosts of the PAC 12 teams was low to very poor. Low average viewership killed their tv value.
Viewers matter
Program prestige matters
Market matters

It’s multifaceted approach. To assume it’s only about the market is as ignorant as thinking the market isn’t relevant.

You brought up Rutgers and that is an excellent example of a program that brings nothing to the table except their market. But the Big10 thought it was valuable enough to overcome lack of viewers and program prestige. On the flip side, Oklahoma isn’t a big market but they are a blue blood with a huge following and viewers.

Do you think the SEC was blown away with Missouri’s 600k viewers? Were they a power program? No. They were attractive because they were a decent program in state 6m people centered between 2 major cities.

According to Mac Engel of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Pac-12 targeted both TCU and Houston as possible additions and was very close to adding both. The conference found the location and quality of the schools’ athletics to be appealing.”

When hundreds of millions of dollars are on the line it’s all relevant.

Apr 7, 2006
I think there will have to be at least 3 major conferences although 2 may be the "elite". TV revenue and college football can't move forward if you relegate 30% of the current P5 teams to FCS status . You could end up losing well over a million viewers/ticket holders. The reason that the system works so well today is because you have 10 teams annually that have any chance of winning a national championship and ~60 other fanbases that pay through tickets, merchandise or TV subscriptions to keep the system alive. Just like insurance- the system can't survive if you don't have some customers paying premiums and not making claims.

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
I think there will have to be at least 3 major conferences although 2 may be the "elite". TV revenue and college football can't move forward if you relegate 30% of the current P5 teams to FCS status . You could end up losing well over a million viewers/ticket holders. The reason that the system works so well today is because you have 10 teams annually that have any chance of winning a national championship and ~60 other fanbases that pay through tickets, merchandise or TV subscriptions to keep the system alive. Just like insurance- the system can't survive if you don't have some customers paying premiums and not making claims.
i think you are right. I just wonder about the stability and long term viability of the conferences that fall below the elite.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
This move is strictly about money and takes no account into the well being of the USC and UCLA non football athletes. The athletes in all the sports that play 30+ games for these two schools will be on the road constantly flying to the big 10 markets. These schools have a more rigorous academic program than most. Crazy that this is happening. Won’t affect football as much because it will only be a few game they have to travel for. Again, no regards given to these athletes whatsoever.
Agreed, but I expect it to be less once the B1G finishes expanding. 5-6 total from the PAC

Dec 26, 2011
Stillwater
Why do you say 2030? The ACC GOR expires in 2036.
It doesn’t matter either way. If enough teams leave, the conference ceases to exist and the GOR means nothing. No exit fees. Nothing.

This will all move very quickly. The 2036 ACC timeline essentially means nothing right now. Only question is UNC BIG or SEC? The rest of the dominoes will fall after that and ND

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
It doesn’t matter either way. If enough teams leave, the conference ceases to exist and the GOR means nothing. No exit fees. Nothing.

This will all move very quickly. The 2036 ACC timeline essentially means nothing right now. Only question is UNC BIG or SEC? The rest of the dominoes will fall after that and ND
It is true that it means nothing if enough member leave, but what is that number? Disolving the B12 used to take a 2/3rds vote. I can't see any school without a B1G or SEC invite voting yes, which would mean you need 10 schools to be invited. Only way that happens is if both go all the way to 24 and are willing to take a ton of lower quality schools from the ACC just to get a few big ones. All that seems pretty unlikely to me.

Aug 17, 2006
It's interesting to read the speculation from random Internet people on Twitter and Reddit. Judging from people who know nothing, we are competing with the likes of NC State, Va Tech, and Baylor for a spot somewhere in the new SuperLeague.

I don't understand the financial aspects of this well enough to understand where we actually rank in these discussions. It's wild, though, to think that we are historically in the best spot we could possibly be in, but the odds may still be stacked against us.

sportsfan89

Territorial Marshal
Jul 31, 2012
Wilson, Oklahoma
I know it’s a money thing…but I prefer going to Big 10 than the SEC if it ever happens.

I do not want to hear those people that does the systemic racist chant down in Norman saying they got us in the SEC.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I know it’s a money thing…but I prefer going to Big 10 than the SEC if it ever happens.

I do not want to hear those people that does the systemic racist chant down in Norman saying they got us in the SEC.
I'm with you, but that group in Norman is in a brutal position if we aren't in the SEC with another expansion just like A&M and the Whorns are in awful place if Tech isn't in with another expansion.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Expound…..interesting line of thought there.
It's simple, the schools in the SEC are going to catch hell politically if they aren't working to help their other instate schools get in. It's not good for anyone. The school in Norman is already losing instate clout over this judging by the number of programs moving to the OSU system. This can set up a fued that will last for years.

ORANGE AN BLACK

Territorial Marshal
Nov 1, 2009
Somewhere down in Texas

I think big10 will be harder to sell recruits vs sec (football… and baseball), being that we recruit in a sec heavy state

Aug 17, 2006

I like the idea of the Big 10. Our "52 banners" fits in better. Our wrestling fits in better. I think it would kill football though. Not playing every year in Texas every year would hurt our recruiting as the likes of Nebraska understands.

Culturally, the SEC make much more sense, but following OU is tough to take for a fanbase that hates the "little brother" epithet.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Crazy (maybe stupid) idea, but it occurred to me that rather than being reactive and waiting on the B1G and SEC to take their pick of whomever they want, what if Yormark aggressively went after Oregon, Washington, Utah, out west, and then offered to pay the GOR exit fees for Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC and VaTech. (as an investment for the future,) to get the B12 to 20 teams before the the B1G and SEC. That would make for a true coast-to-coast footprint, powerful brands, great teams in multiple sports, great mix of AAU/non-AAU schools, and enough geographic proximity by region to maintain some good rivalries, along with some intriguing schedules going forward. And no one could realistically say that the B12 was a second-rate league at that point. You could market the crap out of that. Of course, I could be wrong;-)

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Crazy (maybe stupid) idea, but it occurred to me that rather than being reactive and waiting on the B1G and SEC to take their pick of whomever they want, what if Yormark aggressively went after Oregon, Washington, Utah, out west, and then offered to pay the GOR exit fees for Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC and VaTech. (as an investment for the future,) to get the B12 to 20 teams before the the B1G and SEC. That would make for a true coast-to-coast footprint, powerful brands, great teams in multiple sports, great mix of AAU/non-AAU schools, and enough geographic proximity by region to maintain some good rivalries, along with some intriguing schedules going forward. And no one could realistically say that the B12 was a second-rate league at that point. You could market the crap out of that. Of course, I could be wrong;-)
At about 300 million each for the ACC schools that would be a challenge. Unless they did some legal gymnastics to get out of it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk