USC and UCLA to the BIG10 in 2024

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Live sports accounted for 90 of the top 100 TV broadcasts last year. The TV networks have now gotten powerful enough that what was a semi-organic landscape in college sports is turning into a commoditized, planned for largest viewership TV product. They're literally going to shove 40 brands down the throat of the nation.
I don't disagree they will ram it down our throats. Problem they will have is there are just too many options of television programs these days as well as most people have list of weekend projects to do that they previously would have put off if they thought a game could determine the outcome for THEIR team. Not a game that had zero impact on their teams post season chances etc.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
All but three of those football titles were in the Border or the WAC conference. They have 3 PAC 10 football conference titles, 1986, 1996 and the last in 2007. During the 2000's they have been 5-10 in bowl games, and have not qualified for a bowl in 8 out of 23 seasons. They haven't been really good for a while now. I don't know what kind of tv numbers they have, but what you would be taking is a mediocre program in a fairly large tv market.
They won a Division title in 2013, too.

Sep 10, 2010
Sachse, TX
I
Hearing Greg Sankey may include two more teams in SEC and possible options include Clemson, FSU, and OSU.
Pipe dream would be the SEC expanding with us, Clemson, FSU and Miami.
If we find a way into the SEC then selecting Gundy’s successor becomes significantly more important. We will need a hell of a coach to keep up. I think Gundy will be fine. The next coach though may not have his experience or the money to pay the players like the rest of the SEC. Gundy has always had his eye on the SEC so maybe he stays longer.

Oct 30, 2007
I say take a big swing here, invite Clemson, Florida St, Oregon and Stanford, ACC teams have to be getting a little antsy. But would settle for Arizona schools, Utah and anybody other than Colorado from the Pac, I have zero interest in getting them back.
I agree with you. B10 and SEC are trying to get to 20 schools. the B12's best bet is to beat them there. We currently have 12 (including newbies/excluding traitors). If you add both arizona schools, utah, both oregon schools, Cal, and two of Florida State/Miami/Stanford/Clemson (although I think clem is sec bound), you can market yourself as a coast to coast superconference that can compete with anyone. Our new AD could sell this to any of Amazon/YT/Apple as the one conference that will demand viewership across every time zone. That would also give us 6 AAU schools. Not a ton, but better than the one we have now.

The other option is to bail on the B12 and hope for an invite to sec or b10 country. I'd rather have option 1, which would provide a national fanbase to tell the other two to shove it, and would be cool to have 4 5 team pods to somewhat limit travel.
Fantasy world. All but possibly utah, CO, and AZ schools would hang up the phone as they laughed deliriously. And the others are going to hold out for now to see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jun 20, 2013
Fantasy world. All but possibly utah, CO, and AZ schools would hang up the phone as they laughed deliriously. And the others are going to hold out for now to see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe, but if that can't be a reality, we have to find a way to land in B10 or SEC.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Conference affiliation goes beyond just athletics. The B1G has what they call the Big Ten Academic Alliance. Their conference receives over $10B in research funding every year. I'm not sure how it all works, but this is why they primarily go after AAU schools.

The SEC doesn't care. :D They just want schools that will generate athletic dollars.
Are we not seeing possibly the beginnings of de-coupling academics and athletics? Sure the school cares about academia... But this has the feeling of the ones pulling the strings right now caring zero about school, region or conference. It's just "get the (perceived best) 40 blueblood college football programs together and start our own league... the money will follow us and us only."

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Are we not seeing possibly the beginnings of de-coupling academics and athletics? Sure the school cares about academia... But this has the feeling of the ones pulling the strings right now caring zero about school, region or conference. It's just "get the (perceived best) 40 blueblood college football programs together and start our own league... the money will follow us and us only."
I don't think anyone really knows anymore.

And to think, the Big 12 had the guy who wanted to start a network and increase revenues and stability, and they let him walk out the door to the B1G and the rest is history.

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
I like when you guys talk about academics for athletic conferences. Especially in the age of NIL compensations in the 7 figures and paid mercenaries, I mean “student athletes” transferring all over the place year after year.

College athletics as you knew it is dead and gone.
I agree up to a point. Generally speaking, academic prowess equals multiple big time donors that will help to fund NIL for those schools.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
I think they should just do a good old fashioned backyard “pick your team” with BiG and SEC team captains. They both sit at 16, so take turns picking the next 8 you want to fill out your conference.

i’ll be BIG and go first: I’ll take UNC (assuming ND isnt playing the game)

someone play SEC captain

OkstateKerr

Federal Marshal
Jan 13, 2005
I think they should just do a good old fashioned backyard “pick your team” with BiG and SEC team captains. They both sit at 16, so take turns picking the next 8 you want to fill out your conference.

i’ll be BIG and go first: I’ll take UNC (assuming ND isnt playing the game)

someone play SEC captain
I don’t think OSU would be in that 8. I think they would be in the next 8 if they expanded to 24