USA...our country/government...good, bad, ugly

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Just do a google search. Polls clearly show Oklahomans are against a total abortion ban.
there's too many elected officials like this:
“I don’t make my decisions based on polling. My job as an elected official is to protect individual rights, specifically the right to life,” said Sen. Nathan Dahm of Broken Arrow.

Mar 11, 2006
One problem with putting parents in more control of their kids education is that too many parents are idiots...
This is certainly an example of an idiot parent And a reason why views need to be filtered.

But having stronger parental involvement and control of their own children’s education is a good thing IMO. (I know your point was not disputing the involvement portion).

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
This is certainly an example of an idiot parent And a reason why views need to be filtered.

But having stronger parental involvement and control of their own children’s education is a good thing IMO. (I know your point was not disputing the involvement portion).
60% of Elementary schools in the US report that Parents attend 'Most OR ALL" of their parent teacher conferences.

I'm not 100% sure you're going to get stronger parent involvement than 1 on 1 time with their teacher.

What are is the end goal then ?

Mar 11, 2006
60% of Elementary schools in the US report that Parents attend 'Most OR ALL" of their parent teacher conferences.

I'm not 100% sure you're going to get stronger parent involvement than 1 on 1 time with their teacher.

What are is the end goal then ?
I am surprised at the 60% number. If that is true, that is good and much better than my personal experience.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I am surprised at the 60% number. If that is true, that is good and much better than my personal experience.
https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/frss/publications/96913/index.asp?sectionid=2

OR

We can talk about hte fact that Many schools OFFER these things and parents just DON'T show up.

IN particular pay special attention to the "Involvement in school instructional issues" Schools offer it..and the participation rate by parents over 76% only 3 PRINCIPLES reported parents being involved at a High Rate.

RE 2. Among public school principals in schools that offered each opportunity, percentage of principals who reported that 76–100 percent of students had at least one parent or guardian participating, by opportunity type and
school level: 2017–18

* Indicates significant difference between primary schools and middle schools or primary schools and high schools at the p < .05 level.
! Interpret data with caution. The coefficient of variation (CV) for this estimate is between 30 percent and 50 percent (i.e., the standard error is at least 30 percent and less than 50 percent of the estimate).
NOTE: Detail may not sum to 100 due to rounding. Principals could indicate 76–100 percent attendance at more than one engagement opportunity. Data for combined schools are not shown here, but can be seen in the associated tables at https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/ntps/tables/ntps1718_20102001_a1n.asp and https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/ntps/tables/ntps1718_20102002_a1n.asp.
SOURCE: U.S. Department ofEducation, National Center for Education Statistics, National Teacher and Principal Survey (NTPS), “Public School Principal Data File,” 2017–18.

Does parent attendance at different engagement opportunities vary by school level?

For any of the nine activities offered by their school during the previous school year (2016–17), principals gave the percentage of students who had at least one parent present. Low parent participation meant 0–25 percent of all students had a parent present. High parent participation meant 76–100 percent of all students had a parent present.

For 7 out of the 9 options, primary school principals reported high parent participation at higher rates than did middle school principals. There were no significant differences for two events. These two events were involvement in school instructional issues and involvement in governance (FIGURE 2).

Primary school principals also reported high parent participation at higher rates in 8 out of the 9 principals. There were no significant differences for one option (involvement in budget decisions).

Endnotes

1 NTPS asks separately about summer jobs that teachers may hold. It also collects information about base salary and other sources of supplemental income. Other sources include extracurricular or additional activities within the same school system, performance-based bonuses, and other sources in the school system.
2 Special subject-area events include events such as science fairs and concerts.
3 Involvement in school instructional issues includes planning classroom learning activities and providing feedback on curriculum.
4 A school-parent compact is an agreement between school community members (e.g., parents, principals, teachers, and students) that acknowledges the shared responsibility for students learning and/or the school’s policies.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Bottom line, American Parents don't care, until they get misinformed about something....and then assume it is happening in their class.....because they are NOT participating at a high level until they "Assume" there is a problem..

And then they raise holy hell about it and politicians latch on to the idea and stoke the flames of that misinformation and it becomes a political talking point to restore our traditional American Values in the schools, and bring Prayer back to save our schools and kick the Liberal agenda out of school..

When in reality...if they had been participating in these at a high level...they they would truly understand what is going on in their classrooms and what their kids are learning and we wouldn't be in this mess

Because These people NOT participating right here (as this graph clearly shows) are the ones now complaining

1658940346456.png

Mar 11, 2006
Bottom line, American Parents don't care, until they get misinformed about something....and then assume it is happening in their class.....because they are NOT participating at a high level until they "Assume" there is a problem..

And then they raise holy hell about it and politicians latch on to the idea and stoke the flames of that misinformation and it becomes a political talking point to restore our traditional American Values in the schools, and bring Prayer back to save our schools and kick the Liberal agenda out of school..

When in reality...if they had been participating in these at a high level...they they would truly understand what is going on in their classrooms and what their kids are learning and we wouldn't be in this mess

Because These people NOT participating right here (as this graph clearly shows) are the ones now complaining

View attachment 96571
IMO and my experience, it is the parents that DO ACTIVELY participate the most are also the ones that complain the most. Those are the helicopter parents.

Sep 12, 2008
IMO and my experience, it is the parents that DO ACTIVELY participate the most are also the ones that complain the most. Those are the helicopter parents.
Heard this phrase for the first time the other day... "Lawnmower parents"

We’ve all heard of helicopter parents. But you may not have heard of the latest term for a troubling trend recently identified in parenting: lawnmower parents.

Lawnmower parents go to whatever lengths necessary to prevent their child from having to face adversity, struggle, or failure.

Instead of preparing children for challenges, they mow obstacles down so kids won’t experience them in the first place.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
That's surprising. At my school it's gotta be close to 100%. Once online registration opens for conferences you have to be quick to sign up if you want a decent slot. It's private school and that probably makes a difference but I'm surprised you are seeing lower numbers from personal experience.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
That's surprising. At my school it's gotta be close to 100%. Once online registration opens for conferences you have to be quick to sign up if you want a decent slot. It's private school and that probably makes a difference but I'm surprised you are seeing lower numbers from personal experience.
Same here. We wound up having to do a check in by email because the conference slots got taken up in less than 48 hours and that was after the day was switched only a couple weeks from the conferences.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
so dumb...
Florida Teachers Slam Bill Allowing Veterans to Teach With No Degree

Florida teachers have taken to the internet with outrage over a new bill allowing military veterans to teach without a degree.
On June 9, the Florida Legislature passed a bill granting approval for former and present members of the military to teach in classrooms. Republican Governor Ron DeSantis announced the move as part of an $8.6 million package to expand career and workforce training opportunities for veterans and their spouses.
The Florida Department of Education followed the legislation this month by announcing the state would issue a temporary teaching certificate to veterans "who have not yet earned their bachelor's degree."

Although the measure was proposed to solve the statewide teacher shortage, many teachers in the state have spoken out against it.
"It sucks to see all these good teachers leaving because they are burned out and Florida is expensive to live [in] now, and we cannot afford [it] with our teachers' salary," said a teacher calling herself Mrs. Maya on TikTok. "So then the good idea was to put people that have no education on education."

Under DeSantis, Florida's schools have become a battleground for a host of cultural and political issues.

Mar 11, 2006
so dumb...
Florida Teachers Slam Bill Allowing Veterans to Teach With No Degree

Florida teachers have taken to the internet with outrage over a new bill allowing military veterans to teach without a degree.
On June 9, the Florida Legislature passed a bill granting approval for former and present members of the military to teach in classrooms. Republican Governor Ron DeSantis announced the move as part of an $8.6 million package to expand career and workforce training opportunities for veterans and their spouses.
The Florida Department of Education followed the legislation this month by announcing the state would issue a temporary teaching certificate to veterans "who have not yet earned their bachelor's degree."

Although the measure was proposed to solve the statewide teacher shortage, many teachers in the state have spoken out against it.
"It sucks to see all these good teachers leaving because they are burned out and Florida is expensive to live [in] now, and we cannot afford [it] with our teachers' salary," said a teacher calling herself Mrs. Maya on TikTok. "So then the good idea was to put people that have no education on education."

Under DeSantis, Florida's schools have become a battleground for a host of cultural and political issues.
Sounds like a good plan to help the teacher shortage. The teacher shortage is very real right now. And mostly everywhere.