USA...our country/government...good, bad, ugly

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Fast and Furious gun walking that potentially put 2,000 guns into the hands of Mexican drug cartels....

Weapons trafficking questions remain unanswered in Benghazi report

https://www.politico.com/blogs/beng...06/benghazi-report-weapons-trafficking-224869
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JeWHviwLMy8

From the years you speak. These SOBs are all in it together. Here we have GOP during a Democrat admin, telling Ukrainians, we are going after Russia. And that’s 2016! So when you say Obama, you also mean Trump. When you say Bush, you also mean Clinton.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
In a time of national division, polarizing primaries are part of the problem npr

The congressional hearings into the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol are revealing how former President Donald Trump strove to stay in office by any means necessary.
They are also revealing the depth of division within our country.
A poll by Morning Consult this week found 84% of Democrats approving of the committee's mission but just 20% of Republicans.
It would be a mistake to say the country has never been this divided.

Our current system produces a Congress and many state legislatures that have abysmal ratings from the voters and yet record high re-election rates for their individual members.
We need new mechanisms to reform, if not replace, the kinds of democratic processes we have. And efforts to find better processes are underway around the country, starting with the party primary system, which is a big reason the extremes tend to pull the parties further apart.

We have had primary elections to select nominees for general elections at the local, state and federal level for more than a century. They began as an alternative to having party bosses at each level simply name the candidates they wanted.
As the system has evolved, however, primaries have come to be dominated by ideological partisans who please the more agenda-driven elements in either party who are the most likely to participate in primaries.
There is comparatively little incentive to reach out to voters who might fall somewhere between the two parties. And that is especially true as computer-assisted gerrymandering creates more districts that are "safe" for one party or the other in November elections.
That is increasingly problematic as fewer Americans identify with either major party. At the end of 2021, Gallup found 42% of Americans identified as independents – with 29% identifying as Democrats and 27% as Republicans. Roughly half the states that have registration by party now have more people registering as independents than as Democrats or Republicans. Gallup has also found the percentage of Americans favoring creation of a new major party has risen above 60% for the first time.
Rather than respond to this by seeking common ground, the parties have continued to move further away from each other.

There may also be a ray of hope for lessened partisanship in the system known as ranked choice voting. Some find the phrase itself off-putting or suspect a scheme to torpedo candidates they like. Others just find it hard to understand.
Rather than holding the usual party primaries, Alaska is trying out a system its voters adopted by ballot measure in 2020. All candidates for Young's seat appeared on one ballot this month (June 11) regardless of party affiliation. That made for a lot of reading, as no less than 48 Alaskans qualified for that ballot.
Under the new system, the top four finishers in the June round of voting advance to a runoff on Aug. 16. And when they appear on that ballot the voters will not be asked just to choose one but to rank all four.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The government is simply a reflection of the people…we currently have a people problem that is reflected in our politics.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I shorthanded "911" but from that was the entire GWOT and Iraq/Afghanistan. The initial pandemic wave was like 911. The ongoing response was like Iraq/Afghanistan. Bush started well then messed up and still got elected.

I won't even respond to your attempts to defend Trump's actions on Covid as any rational look would know he did a poor job in so many ways.

He didn't get reelected because he did a poor job. I really don't see our country getting rid of him for doing a great job just because they in general mad about a virus.
Our divided nation sucked at it…potus just didn’t help in the process except for getting vaccines at record speed. The problem was a people problem, just as it is now. We have to stop letting our terrible leadership define us…

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
We could go round and round about this again but that's a little apples and oranges. 911 was a one time intentional attack by an enemy. The vid was an ongoing problem for the whole world with daily opportunities to politicize it. The left blamed Trump so hard they didn't even leave room for anyone having a problem with China being the source and covering it up bad enough to let it spread around the world.

Our death rate was not so out of line with much of Europe for the year 2020. Considering the obesity rate in this country and our stubbornness not to fall in line with government directives, that's really not so bad as we were led to believe. Especially considering Trump was desperately trying weather the event without crushing the economy, which did lead him to underestimate it.
Question, was the number of deaths (not the rate) higher or lower during the last administration as it was in this one? Point being neither potus did any good vs the virus except to get us vaccines and shots in arms quickly. That’s all either did…a potus cannot shut down the USA…the people rule…potus we elect and unselect. They come and go. the people do not...

Last edited:

SiggyPoke

Territorial Marshal
Nov 4, 2003
Tulsa
What’s the latest polling numbers on term limits?

I have literally never met anyone that WAS NOT pro-limits.

We have to get rid of and get away from “career politicians”. 8 yrs max to serve the country and then GTFO.
The problem isn't the lack of American's interest in term limits. It's that Congress has to vote for it.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Question, was the number of deaths (not the rate) higher or lower during the last administration as it was in this one? Point being neither potus did any good vs the virus except to get us vaccines and shots in arms quickly. That’s all either did…a potus cannot shut down the USA…the people rule…potus we elect and unselect. They come and go. the people do not...
I'm not really qualified to judge the president on his handling of the vid, but when I do make some attempt I try to compare death rates among the countries we are most aligned with economically, not by what the news said 20 times a day every day for a year.

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
A racist Juneteenth sign at a Maine insurance agency sparks backlash online npr

WOW...just WOW...

Residents in the town of Millinocket, Maine, say they are outraged and disappointed after a local insurance agency displayed a racist sign remarking on the Juneteenth holiday.

"Juneteenth ~it's whatever... We're closed. Enjoy your fried chicken & collard greens," the sign stated in a large font. It was taped to the front of Harry E. Reed Insurance Agency in Millinocket on Monday. The small town sits about three hours outside Portland and some 50 miles away from the U.S.-Canada border.

1655904525408.png

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
not that any of you give a $*!+, but I will not be wearing anything with red, white, & blue this July 4th...maybe wear some good Irish colors...I am embarrassed/saddened/pissed off with the state/direction of my country...that's all...God Please Bless America!

Mar 11, 2006
not that any of you give a $*!+, but I will not be wearing anything with red, white, & blue this July 4th...maybe wear some good Irish colors...I am embarrassed/saddened/pissed off with the state/direction of my country...that's all...God Please Bless America!
Well, you are certainly showing your true colors. :)

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Never go full Let's go Brandon. :runaway:

:lol::lol::lol:

Mar 11, 2006
if America was my child, it/they would be grounded and sitting in their room for their birthday...
I will be proudly wearing my red, white, and blue and celebrating our nation along with many of my fellow citizens. Including those that want to exercise their right by either not participating or wearing Irish colors.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Let's go Brandon

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
if America was my child, it/they would be grounded and sitting in their room for their birthday...
I will be proudly wearing my red, white, and blue and celebrating our nation along with many of my fellow citizens. Including those that want to exercise their right by either not participating or wearing Irish colors.
@PF5 While I understand the sentiment and agree somewhat, I still believe the Republic will survive and will eventually prosper again by its citizens participating in the system and eventually upholding the principles of Life, Liberty, the Pursuit of Happiness, and Justice for All. In support of you (as a fellow poster), however, I will toast America whilst drinking many Irish Whiskeys.

@cableok, I'm wearing red white and blue today. Will be much of the weekend. I will be celebrating by observing multiple American traditions: smoking several different cuts of various animals, eating lots of stuff that is bad for me, and drinking crappy, watery beer to excess while risking limbs while randomly blowing stuff up.