USA...our country/government...good, bad, ugly

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
all because a couple of VERY Powerful Lobby's spent tons of Money convincing the US Congress to pass legislation to Implement DST in order to increase the business and profitability odds for their industries.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1587867410543124481
Although I am a big fan of permanent DST, the stats in this article appear unusual. So unusual that I wonder why the reporter didn’t question it before writing the article.

According to the article there are …”About 2.1 million vehicle crashes in the U.S. each year involve deer, the study says. These crashes account for 440 human deaths each year.”

And according to the CDC, there are ~6.3M vehicle crashes/year and ~40K deaths.

So if article is accurate,
*the death percentage when crashing into a deer is .02% vs the death percentage of regular vehicle accident of 6%. (that doesn’t add up)
* 2.1M of the 6.3M vehicle crashes in the United States per year involve a deer - 33% (that seems unlikely)

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Although I am a big fan of permanent DST, the stats in this article appear unusual. So unusual that I wonder why the reporter didn’t question it before writing the article.

According to the article there are …”About 2.1 million vehicle crashes in the U.S. each year involve deer, the study says. These crashes account for 440 human deaths each year.”

*the death percentage when crashing into a deer is .02% vs the death percentage of regular vehicle accident of 6%. (that doesn’t add up)
* 2.1M of the 6.3M vehicle crashes in the United States per year involve a deer - 33% (that seems unlikely)
I could argue one or the other. Living in Minnesota I'm looking forward to it being dark when I drive to work ending but I'm not looking forward to it being dark when I drive home starting. If we go permanent one of those gets worse bur it's fine. The time change sucks. Spring you lose an hour and for a week it makes you tired. Fall back is great when you are in college and get to party for an extra hour but as a parent it means little kids wake up at 430 because they are 3 and they don't understand time change. My kids are in sleep in mode now which is great until we need to be somewhere on a weekend but yah fall back went from sleep in to party to fuck why are they up this early fast

LS1 Z28

Territorial Marshal
Oct 30, 2007
https://www.newsweek.com/majority-americans-back-stimulus-checks-inflation-poll-1755636
Majority of Americans Back New Stimulus Checks To Combat Inflation
The survey found 63 percent of respondents said they agree—with 42 percent saying they "strongly agree"—when asked if the federal government should issue new stimulus checks to tackle inflation.

Eighteen percent of respondents disagreed, while 15 percent said they neither agree nor disagree. Three percent said they do not know in response to the question.

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
https://www.newsweek.com/majority-americans-back-stimulus-checks-inflation-poll-1755636
The survey found 63 percent of respondents said they agree—with 42 percent saying they "strongly agree"—when asked if the federal government should issue new stimulus checks to tackle inflation.

Eighteen percent of respondents disagreed, while 15 percent said they neither agree nor disagree. Three percent said they do not know in response to the question.

Wow. Would like to see the political party breakdown of that survey.

Fire meet gasoline.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!

cableok

Territorial Marshal
Mar 11, 2006
I hoped that was one thing Biden could try to do. No doubt that MAGA was never going accept him, but he chose to continue being divisive. We just had what most would agree is the most egotistical, divisive and lying President. Biden is not egotistical, but it seems like not lying and being divisive could have been as easy hurdle. Yet instead he has embraced lying and being divisive.

Last edited:

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
I hoped that was one thing Biden could try to do. No doubt that MAGA was never going accept him, but he chose to continue being divisive. We just had what most would agree is the most egotistical, divisive and lying President. Biden is not egotistical, but it seems like not lying and being divisive could have been as easy hurdle. Yet instead he has embraced lying and being divisive.
Vanderbilt Unity Project launches “Unity Index” showing quarterly snapshot on Americans’ faith and trust in democracy

A new index designed by researchers at Vanderbilt University shows a steady erosion of trust in American political institutions over the past 40 years, with it hitting its lowest point in 2017 after racial unrest in Charlottesville, Virginia.
Launched by the Vanderbilt Project on Unity and American Democracy, the Vanderbilt Unity Index seeks to quantify the abstract term "unity" by measuring on a quarterly basis the fluctuations in Americans' general faith and trust in their political institutions on a scale of 0-100. The VUI will be updated quarterly.

The VUI reached its high mark in the late summer of 1990 in the lead-up to the first Gulf War under President George H.W. Bush. From there, it follows a general downward trend, with nine of the 10 lowest-scoring quarters occurring between 2016 and 2020-"a period consumed with divisive political rhetoric and critique of democratic institutions," according to the authors.

1667757068584.png

PF5

Deputy
Jan 3, 2014
Meet some of Tuesday's history-making election winners npr

LGBTQ representation
It was a big night for several LGBTQ candidates. Maura Healey was elected the governor of Massachusetts, becoming the first woman to win that office and the nation's first openly lesbian governor-elect.
Democrat Becca Balint won her race for Vermont's only seat in the House. Her win means she will be the first woman and the first openly LGBTQ person to represent the state in Congress.
In New Hampshire, James Roesener became the first openly trans man to win election to a state legislature in U.S. history.

Racial diversity
Democrat Wes Moore made history as Maryland's first Black governor, and only the third Black governor elected in U.S. history. Also in Maryland, Aruna Miller became the first Indian American elected lieutenant governor, and Rep. Anthony Brown is the first Black candidate elected as the state attorney general.
Republican Rep. Markwayne Mullin of Oklahoma won the special election to succeed Sen. Jim Inhofe, who is retiring. Mullin, an enrolled member of the Cherokee Nation, will become the first Native American senator from Oklahoma in nearly a century, and the only Native American to serve in the U.S. Senate since Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell, a Colorado Republican, retired in 2005.
And Rep. Summer Lee, a Democrat, became the first Black woman elected to Congress from Pennsylvania.

Firsts for women
Several states also elected female lawmakers and governors for the first time.
Former White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders will be the first female governor of Arkansas.
Katie Britt became the first woman to win election to the Senate from Alabama and the first Republican woman to hold one of the state's Senate seats. And New York Gov. Kathy Hochul, who succeeded Andrew Cuomo when he resigned in 2021, was elected to a full term — becoming New York's first elected female governor.

Gen Z heads to Congress
Maxwell Frost won his race in Florida's 10th District, becoming the first member of Generation Z to be elected to the House of Representatives. He is 25 years old, which is the minimum age to be a House member.
He's not the only member of his generation on the ballot this midterm season.
Republican Karoline Leavitt, 25 — who would have been the youngest woman ever elected to the House — lost her race in New Hampshire's 1st District.

oks10

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Apr 14, 2009
Nothing New.
The people in this state I hope are just ignorant.
And that’s why they continue to vote against there own best interest.
But I am afraid it’s just stupidly and not ignorants.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
We've GOT to get rid of that lazy box...
I'm pretty sure nearly everyone who votes straight party would chose the party candidate anyways. Most are just uninformed and don't care to take the time to learn each candidates platform. Sadly, most of these are going to be your rural Republicans.

Dec 9, 2013

Have you ever driven through Appalachia in late summer or early fall? The highways are literally littered w deer carcasses. We were returning from DC a few years ago and for a 10 mile stretch averaged almost 4 per mile. Yeah we are a strange lot in that we were so amazed at all the carnage we decided to do a statistics lesson using 10 miles and trying to figure out how many deer would be hit over the course of a 1300 mile trip. 3 hours later in Kentucky we hit one deploying every airbag and had $17,000 in damage. The dealership we were towed to said they love that time of year.

Dec 9, 2013
not shocking, but certainly explains how walters won! lazy @$$ okies....
I’ll explain it a different way. When you look at Walter’s last commercial, he had boogeymen. CRT was one, liberal indoctrination was another and he also added gender studies. In addition one of his cute little car talks was on “sactuary cites” (his spelling not mine). He also happened to don a neat little NRA cap which was a nice touch of subliminal messaging. What do you think some of your fellow Oklahomans heard? African American studies, Homosexual education, transgenders and illegal immigrants from the south.

We’ve all been at family gatherings and we’ve all heard detestable things said. Voting for walters for some Oklahomans had nothing to do w laziness, that’s just excusing poor and evil behavior.

Walters doesn’t care about the 3rd grader in Prue, Holdenville, Vici or Granite. He doesn’t care about the 10th grader in Edmond, Owasso, Choctaw or Bixby.

His target was the parent of the student in Edmond, Owasso, Choctaw and Bixby. Getting voucher money into those families and using the rural Oklahoman’s boogeymen is just evil. Think establishing influential networks and raising $$$ for future office.

Interesting in that the counties he performed comparatively poorly (Oklahoma, Tulsa, Cleveland and Payne) are where higher Ed and research reside and also where families would financially take advantage of vouchers due to proximity to private Ed. They are also probably the most diversified. Yet he campaigned on topics that subtly (or is it overtly) portray diversity discussion as the problem w education and the rural counties that would take advantage of vouchers the least carried him to victory.

Can’t say he didn’t know what he was doing which to me makes his campaign and victory pretty evil. I’m fearful and predictive that he will be our governor for 8 yrs after Stitt. His victory margin and profile (Pinnell would have been wise to spend ad money even though he didn’t have to) if for no other reason then to get his face in front of the voters. Walters second only to Stitt dominated air and social media. And he’s sadly savy enough to continue to stir the pot w the rural base (divisive politics) to keep his name at the forefront over the next 4 yrs.

Last edited: