UNCW at OSU baseball

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
Trenkle and Huey isn't hitting.....and Arkansas OF can rake and play defense. Christian Franklin is a potential 1st round pick and they have talented freshman that can hit such as Cayden Wallace.

Saying Vandy can't match their players or skillset....boy lay off that orange kool-aid....sounding like Robert Allen. Vandy matches OSU and more. That series wasn't a fluke. They hit .314 (7th in the nation) as a team, 3rd in the nation in team ERA in 2.58. They pitch it and hit better than us IMO. Again agree to disagree.

Never did I said Huey wasn't talented....said he wasn't hitting...there's a difference. Facts are facts...kid is struggling at the plate. He's past the groin injury, and kid's not seeing the ball right now. Only saving grace is the glove. Doesn't mean he can turn it around, but right now he's struggling.

You can't speak for florida or ole miss, but you said you haven't watch Tennessee and all of a sudden they match OSU's lineup??? Which is it...have you watch them or no b/c I have!!

There's about 10-12 teams that if they realize their potential, they can win it all. Everyone having a loaded roster has helped and CO-VID and a 5 round drafted benefitted a lot of teams. Again can this team get to Omaha...sure!!! Do I think this is the most talented team in college baseball?? IMO no!! Does that mean they can win a national title? Absolutely not!! The most talented teams usually don't win the CWS even though Vandy won it in 2019 and they were clearly the most talented team in America.
I've seen Tennessee play twice.

The skill sets and talent of their players isn't on the same level as our players.

Vanderbilt's position players do not have the amount of talent as OSU's position players.

Neither does Arkansas, Tennessee etc ...

Everyone one of our players I mentioned were drafted and have big time still sets.

Cabbi 21st round. Cabbi is the best defensive right fielder in College Baseball.

Trenkle 28th round. Trenkle hit 59 points better as a Freshman than Franklin did.

Encarnacion-Juco All American
.410 with 33 Home Runs
Drafted 34th Round. He's quite possibly the most talented 3rd baseman in College Baseball.
Huey 36th Round

MacLean played for Team USA in the World Cup. No. 66 on MLB.com’s 2020 Prospect Rankings. Under Armour and Perfect Game All American.
Freshman in College Baseball.

McCusker-first-team all-conference and second-team All-America honors in Juco … drafted in the 26th round of the 2017 MLB Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers.

Every one of those players have a very real future in the Big Leagues.

It will be an upset if Mac Lean and Encarnacion aren't there fairly quickly.

The others have the tools and skill sets that will give them a bunch of chances to advance up the ladder in professional baseball.

Those aren't quotes from Robert Allen, those are quotes from Tom Holliday.

Last edited:

Osuatty

Greenhorn
Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
I think the optimism is actually warranted. We have several position players playing at or above expectations ( mcClean , Encarnacion, McCusker, Cabbi hewitt Crull and Mathis ) and several playing below expectations( Garcia, Trenkle, Huey). And all three of these guys have proven themselves in prior seasons at OSU so reason for optimism. golda was really good in the fall so that could be a great surprise to see him turn it around. On the mound, Campbell and Scott and Standlee have been outstanding. WroBo has been very good. Osmond has been good but more upside is clearly there. Davis has been very good out of the pen, and Martin has been good for a true freshman. The bullpen has to expand for the team to win at the level we all want , and this includes Cable, Phansalkar , Stone , Cheney and Bowman to name a few. All have had some good moments and bad and at least two have to emerge in my opinion ( with the starters maintain their excellent performance ). . I probably missed a few guys but talking about this team in terms of Omaha is not a pipe dream at all.

Aug 24, 2015
Houston
I think the optimism is actually warranted. We have several position players playing at or above expectations ( mcClean , Encarnacion, McCusker, Cabbi hewitt Crull and Mathis ) and several playing below expectations( Garcia, Trenkle, Huey). And all three of these guys have proven themselves in prior seasons at OSU so reason for optimism. golda was really good in the fall so that could be a great surprise to see him turn it around. On the mound, Campbell and Scott and Standlee have been outstanding. WroBo has been very good. Osmond has been good but more upside is clearly there. Davis has been very good out of the pen, and Martin has been good for a true freshman. The bullpen has to expand for the team to win at the level we all want , and this includes Cable, Phansalkar , Stone , Cheney and Bowman to name a few. All have had some good moments and bad and at least two have to emerge in my opinion ( with the starters maintain their excellent performance ). . I probably missed a few guys but talking about this team in terms of Omaha is not a pipe dream at all.
What about McClean on the mound, supposedly he pitched during a scrimmage during the week last week since no midweek and was hitting 95.

Osuatty

Greenhorn
Aug 4, 2019
Edmond , Oklahoma
I thought they were saving him for mound duty next season, but i could see mcClean getting an opportunity in the next few midweeks to see if he could be the missing piece out of the bullpen. He strikes me as a backend guy now that will compete for weekend starter next year. We could have two superstar two way players on the same team. Don’t believe that has happened in the last 40 years at OSU ( we have had a number of superstar two way players like Dilks, Jordy Mercer , Jake Benz, etc but can’t recall two on the same team)

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I've seen Tennessee play twice.

The skill sets and talent of their players isn't on the same level as our players.

Vanderbilt's position players do not have the amount of talent as OSU's position players.

Neither does Arkansas, Tennessee etc ...

Everyone one of our players I mentioned were drafted and have big time still sets.

Cabbi 21st round. Cabbi is the best defensive right fielder in College Baseball.

Trenkle 28th round. Trenkle hit 59 points better as a Freshman than Franklin did.

Encarnacion-Juco All American
.410 with 33 Home Runs
Drafted 34th Round. He's quite possibly the most talented 3rd baseman in College Baseball.
Huey 36th Round

MacLean played for Team USA in the World Cup. No. 66 on MLB.com’s 2020 Prospect Rankings. Under Armour and Perfect Game All American.
Freshman in College Baseball.

McCusker-first-team all-conference and second-team All-America honors in Juco … drafted in the 26th round of the 2017 MLB Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers.

Every one of those players have a very real future in the Big Leagues.

It will be an upset if Mac Lean and Encarnacion aren't there fairly quickly.

The others have the tools and skill sets that will give them a bunch of chances to advance up the ladder in professional baseball.

Those aren't quotes from Robert Allen, those are quotes from Tom Holliday.
you can pull all those players drafted out of HS doesn’t mean sh** . You can find players drafted out of HS, JUCO on rosters everywhere. Cabbiness hasn’t hit since he’s been on campus. He hits 2 weeks and all of a sudden he’s great lmao...talk about prisoner of the moment. If he can keep this up I’ll be glad, but sorry cabby isn’t a premier prospect. He has a premier arm that grades plus on the MLB scale but that’s it. His hitting tool is well below average. Arkansas and vandy has players that were drafted out of HS as well.

encarnacion had lived up to the billing, I haven’t question him.

McCusker being drafted in the 26th isn’t anything to brag about. He’s been solid here. Good bar, decent glove, and a injury prone back. Let’s not act like he’s elite b/c he’s not. He’s a good college baseball player with limited pro potential.

Huey being drafted in the 36th round isn’t anything to brag about again. He has an elite glove but his offense is average. If you argue he’s one of the best defensive SS in the country I’ll buy that argument...but one of the best overall??? Naw I ain’t buying it.

I have no issues saying Nolan is big time. He wouldn’t been here if his asking price wasn’t so high similar to Osmond.

Pretty sure those weren’t his quotes lol...I like Tom...sometimes he’s a homer. He’s been bragging about cabbiness tools for half a decade now lol...this weekend was the best 3 game stretch in a cowboy uniform no question.

again your not going to convince me OSU is the most talented team in America. Just because we beat up on trash a$$ WVU and UNC Willmington doesn’t make us all of a sudden the most talented team in America. If you want to become prisoner of the moment...be my guest. Robert Allen would be proud of you

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
What about McClean on the mound, supposedly he pitched during a scrimmage during the week last week since no midweek and was hitting 95.
he is supposed to be absolutely filthy. not sure why we haven't seen him on the bump yet......

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
you can pull all those players drafted out of HS doesn’t mean sh** . You can find players drafted out of HS, JUCO on rosters everywhere. Cabbiness hasn’t hit since he’s been on campus. He hits 2 weeks and all of a sudden he’s great lmao...talk about prisoner of the moment. If he can keep this up I’ll be glad, but sorry cabby isn’t a premier prospect. He has a premier arm that grades plus on the MLB scale but that’s it. His hitting tool is well below average. Arkansas and vandy has players that were drafted out of HS as well.

encarnacion had lived up to the billing, I haven’t question him.

McCusker being drafted in the 26th isn’t anything to brag about. He’s been solid here. Good bar, decent glove, and a injury prone back. Let’s not act like he’s elite b/c he’s not. He’s a good college baseball player with limited pro potential.

Huey being drafted in the 36th round isn’t anything to brag about again. He has an elite glove but his offense is average. If you argue he’s one of the best defensive SS in the country I’ll buy that argument...but one of the best overall??? Naw I ain’t buying it.

I have no issues saying Nolan is big time. He wouldn’t been here if his asking price wasn’t so high similar to Osmond.

Pretty sure those weren’t his quotes lol...I like Tom...sometimes he’s a homer. He’s been bragging about cabbiness tools for half a decade now lol...this weekend was the best 3 game stretch in a cowboy uniform no question.

again your not going to convince me OSU is the most talented team in America. Just because we beat up on trash a$$ WVU and UNC Willmington doesn’t make us all of a sudden the most talented team in America. If you want to become prisoner of the moment...be my guest. Robert Allen would be proud of you
Cab does have all the tools, he just, for whatever reason, hasn't ever put together a consistent season........

Aug 9, 2011
Perry, OK
Arkansas is better, Ole Miss, Florida equal so is Tennessee. Might have slightly more talent than Tennessee, but that team rakes, and their pitching is consistent...

Vandy is a much talented team, and honestly by a fairly decent margin.

Huey is talented defensively, but can't hit to save his life right now. Same with Brock Martin, same with Alix Garcia, and Trenkle. Our bullpen is hot garbage right now outside of Standlee, Martin, and Davis. Sure we have power arms, but none of them throw strikes. Cable, Phansalker, and Kelly can't locate to save their lives. Do we have the talent to make it to Omaha...sure but we need to get some bats going and find a few arms to be serious contenders IMO. There's a whole lot of teams that have talent around the country.
wow dude, chill! We aren't that bad and are 21-7-1 for a reason and pushing the top 10. From your posting, you would think we would suck. What games have you been watching just curious? All I see is a team that is getting better and better. Pitching comes and goes sometimes but this team is figuring out the approaches at the plate right and looking to be a dangerous team down the stretch. Which is a calling card of Josh's teams. So chill the hell out!

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
This group has speed, power, guys that should be able to hit for average, experience, left handed hitters, right handed hitters, power pitchers, left handed pitching, right handed power arms, 2 good catchers, 4 legitimate starting pitchers, and a dominant closer.

If there is a more talented team I'd like to see it

Just gotta out it together and play to the potential this team has and we could win. National Title with this kind of talent.
Would help if everyone were healthy at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
wow dude, chill! We aren't that bad and are 21-7-1 for a reason and pushing the top 10. From your posting, you would think we would suck. What games have you been watching just curious? All I see is a team that is getting better and better. Pitching comes and goes sometimes but this team is figuring out the approaches at the plate right and looking to be a dangerous team down the stretch. Which is a calling card of Josh's teams. So chill the hell out!
lmao...if you followed the convo, I was very complimentary. It's okay to be critical...if that bothers you...well I can't help you...just scroll down my post and keep it moving!!! You make it sound like I was yelling and trashing the team....sensitive much???? Maybe you need to seriously re-read what I wrote. I haven't wrote this team off, simply stating guys who are performing well, and haven't. I've also stated it's not too late for said individuals to turn it around. So in essence, do yourself a favor, take your own advice...and simply chill the hell out!! The self righteous act is tiresome.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2006
I've followed this team closely and I just don't have the capability to put together a response to anyone that says we're more talented than Vanderbilt without sounding rude. Everybody is more talented than normal this year and I think that's forgotten because of the hyper focus on OSU as any fan would do.

Herecomesbullets

Territorial Marshal
Nov 14, 2010
I've followed this team closely and I just don't have the capability to put together a response to anyone that says we're more talented than Vanderbilt without sounding rude. Everybody is more talented than normal this year and I think that's forgotten because of the hyper focus on OSU as any fan would do.
Very simple how you do it
Actually break it down

Vanderbilt is 3-2 in the SEC when Rocker or Leiter isn't pitching.

They are 0-1 against OSU when Rocker or Leiter isn't pitching.

The debate is position by position minus Rocker and Leiter.

We all agree Rocker and Leiter are on a different level.

In Conference play Vanderbilt has played
South Carolina
Missouri
LSU
and Georgia

That's a last place team
2nd to last place team
3rd to last place team
And a 3rd place team

In the games where Rocker and Leiter haven't pitched they are 3-2.

And, again, in the 1 game they played OSU where Rocker or Leiter didn't pitch they were 0-1.

They have played 1 more game then OSU and have scored 35 more runs.

But...OSU has had to face Rocker and Leiter and their offense hasn't so that's a built in advantage.

For instance......They scored 23 runs in the 2 games Rocker and Leiter pitched against us.

That's because, once we got down against Rocker in game 1 we saved pitching. After Parker Scott we threw Eric Walker, Wyatt Chaney and Roman Phansalker.

In game 2 after getting down to Leiter we finished with C.J. Varela, Tucker Elliott and Mitchell Stone in an attempt to save pitching.

That's common for them.

Playing offense behind those 2 guys is much easier because, once you get a 3 or 4 run lead, the other team is going to save pitching like we did and you're going to be facing down staff guys for 1/2 of the game in both games.

Plus....OSU has had to play without one or more of McCusker, Trenkle, Huey, Thompson and Cabbiness in all of our games to this point.

That's 5 starters in a 9 man starting line up that haven't been put together in one lineup yet.

Mc Cusker is just now rounding into form after being out the entire season, and Trenkle and Thompson aren't available right now as we speak.

Huey still hasn't found his groove after coming off of injury.

OSU is better defensively at 3rd base, right field and short stop.

When Golda is playing second base we are better defensively at 2nd base than they are.

Vanderbilt is better defensively at catcher and left field.

When Trenkle is playing Center field is a push, and First base is as well.

OSU has the better closer and the better #3 starter and #4 starter.

Take 5 starters out of any teams lineup, like OSU has had to deal with, and they will all be inconsistent.

Again....
OSU has the best defensive right fielder in College Baseball

We have most likely the most talented 3rd baseman in College Baseball.

We have most likely the most talented Freshman in College Baseball.

We have one of the best defensive short stops in College Baseball.

We have a center fielder that out performed Christian Franklin as a Freshman.

We have 4 legitimate starters, possibly the best closer in College Baseball, and several mid low to mid 90's power arms out of pen that are both left and right handed

We have the ability to put out a lineup of position players where 6 of the 8 starters were drafted and that doesn't include our best hitter in Thompson.

That is elite talent!

There is no College Baseball team more talented than that.

We just need to get healthy and perform to our capabilities and we are as good or better then anyone else in College baseball.

Last edited: