UFO/Alien Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
James Webb was truly a bad guy. When the telescope was named James Webb, there was a strong backlash in the 90's and rightly so. Under no circumstances should bad people be honored.

Like you, I cannot wait until the thing is launched. It has the potential - and very likely will -- change our understanding of the universe, even beyond a Albert Einstein scale. Albert, of course, revolutionized physics.. literally every single physic book that existed at the time had to be thrown awag and rewritten. The telescope has the ability to study the atmospheric conditions of worlds beyond our solar system, which is astonishing. Specifically, for signs of life. The fact that it can do that is just unbelievable, especially considering the unfathomable distances that separate bodies of mass in the universe.

But the telescope is way more than just that. What they hope to see will change or confirm things that humans have not even come close to observing. It will be spectacular. Let's hope nothing happens to it. Because the orbital distance it must be from the earth will make it impossible for astronauts to travel to. I cannot wait.
I'll take you word for it on James Webb. It seems like something that should have been resolved in the last 2 decades while we worked on it. If he was a leader in the cause against gay people pull his name. If he was just part of something going on at the time, maybe not. I'd like to trust the decision makers to do the right thing, but I don't.

CowboyOrange82

Banned
Banned
Oct 29, 2016
US
Some good stuff there
Military flares, or some type of flares. Perhaps even instruments designed to study atmospheric conditions.

Side note: space is simply too vast for interstellar travel. Example: it would take 88,000-years for the fastest spaceship to arrive at the closest sun to our own. The laws of nature sadly prohibits any intelligent species from travelling beyond their solar system. I know they're out there.. and that's good enough for me.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Military flares, or some type of flares. Perhaps even instruments designed to study atmospheric conditions.

Side note: space is simply too vast for interstellar travel. Example: it would take 88,000-years for the fastest spaceship to arrive at the closest sun to our own. The laws of nature sadly prohibits any intelligent species from travelling beyond their solar system. I know they're out there.. and that's good enough for me.
They may be us. A different us. Could be in the oceans. Could be on Mars. Could be on Uranus. Couldn’t resist. Sorry about that last one.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
The way the lights move to their right and as one fades right, a new one pops up on the left. What maybe 4 rows? Cgi. Or something I’m the pit that’s reflecting off the window. Other than those 2 possibilities, it’s one of the space programs doing research. Looked like Musks Mimi satellites but those don’t disappear.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC

Normal travel, no. But let's just assume that life outside Earth and our galaxy does exist and has been around for millions or billions of years before us. Just based on the advancements in technology over the past 100 years, it's safe to assume that their technology would be unimaginable to us. You obviously have physics to deal with and overcome. If even a small fraction of the UFO sightings are indeed real, the crafts typically zip off or even disappear in a split second. If I were to guess, I would think that they have some sort of ability to create tears in the fabric of time and travel through it like a worm hole or even to other dimensions which is a wild but plausible theory.

*takes off tinfoil hat*

Jostate

Identifies as a Cowboys fan
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Normal travel, no. But let's just assume that life outside Earth and our galaxy does exist and has been around for millions or billions of years before us. Just based on the advancements in technology over the past 100 years, it's safe to assume that their technology would be unimaginable to us. You obviously have physics to deal with and overcome. If even a small fraction of the UFO sightings are indeed real, the crafts typically zip off or even disappear in a split second. If I were to guess, I would think that they have some sort of ability to create tears in the fabric of time and travel through it like a worm hole or even to other dimensions which is a wild but plausible theory.

*takes off tinfoil hat*
Our current understanding of physics would imply we'll never really be able to achieve interstellar travel. But to your point the two consistent concepts in the history of the human race is achieving things conventional wisdom previously said could never be achieved and advancing technology at an accelerated rate.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Our current understanding of physics would imply we'll never really be able to achieve interstellar travel. But to your point the two consistent concepts in the history of the human race is achieving things conventional wisdom previously said could never be achieved and advancing technology at an accelerated rate.
Well yes and no. There are serious discussions on the plausibility of using physics from the quantum level to explore the universe. On the human scale, it’s near impossible. On the smallest level, it’s not only a possibility, it may be how the whole system works.
With Higgs being right (God particle), matter itself not just knowing its matter (famous double slit experiment), it’s being told at birth, which matter it will be. If we can learn everything about entanglement, we could explore the farthest side of the universe in seconds. And if it’s being done to us, we’d never know since our greatest machines are just now able to picture that scale.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Intelligence Officials Admit UFO Sightings In First Meeting In More Than 50 Years

US Intelligence Officials have admitted to receiving regular reports of UFO sightings.
The sightings aren't just the odd one here or there either, as an official described them as 'frequent and continuous'.

In the congressional meeting, which is the first in 50 years, two videos were played with believed UFO sightings. Over 400 reports of sightings by US military are now being investigated.

At the beginning of the meeting, a US naval official stated that UFO sightings have been common on military ranges since the 2000s. The sightings of UFOs are also called Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP) in official reports, and comes after leaked videos from the US Navy appear to show unexplainable objects.

Deputy Director of Naval Intelligence Scott Bray told members of the US House Intelligence Committee's subcommittee on Counterterrorism, Counterintelligence, and Counterproliferation that more than 140 UFO sightings since 2004 could not be explained, and and were not tricks of light or sensors.

He said: "It’s clear that many of the sightings are physical objects, based on the data that we have."

He clarified that most of the sightings fall into one of five categories; airborne clutter, national atmospheric phenomena, US industry development programs, foreign adversaries, or 'other'.

US intelligence official Ronald S Moultrie added: "We have very fleeting data on these objects."

Also in the meeting, videos were shown to demonstrate the difficulties in displaying and identifying objects. One of the clips appeared to show green triangles flying over a US warship and a second video showed a similar incident.

A further clip taken from a US Navy warplane's cockpit showed a 'spherical' silver object flying in the sky in a very brief piece of footage. Bray confirmed to the committee meeting that the object is still unexplained.
He added that there have been 11 near misses with unidentified objects, but currently no collisions. Mr Bray also added the US hasn't attempted communication with or fired any weapons at the objects.

The meeting also heard how records now indicate there have been 400 unexplained sightings, which is an increase from the 144 recorded in last year's Pentagon report.

Mr Moultire explained: 'We know that our service members have encountered unidentified aerial phenomena, and because UAP pose potential flight safety and general security risks, we are committed to a focused effort to determine their origins."

The meeting held today is the first in 50 years, and has been called specifically to focus on the emerging issue of UFO sightings. US Congressman Andre Carson chaired the meeting alongside US Congressman Adam Schiff, and in opening remarks said there needs to be more openness in reporting sightings like these.

He said: "UAPs are unexplained, it's true. But they are real."