UCF, Houston, BYU, and Cinn coming next year(2023)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 9, 2013
A year early. So the big 12 will have 14 teams for at least 1 year.

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1519367919058268161?s=21&t=Vm1uJRfUmZ-pJCPktpXtog

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
Queue the ESPN announcement that it will be paying the exit penalties for OU and Texas to the SEC. maybe even offer a sweetheart deal to the Big12 for our media rights or something to help let them out earlier

Nov 6, 2010
Queue the ESPN announcement that it will be paying the exit penalties for OU and Texas to the SEC. maybe even offer a sweetheart deal to the Big12 for our media rights or something to help let them out earlier
Do you really think so?? I get the feeling this thing has settled in to waiting until the contract expires.

Sep 9, 2013
Why would the SEC want them early now, and why would they want to leave early when the playoff is stuck at 4?

When poached, the SEC had visions of 6 or 7 teams getting in. Now, OU/Texas does nothing for the SEC.

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa
I wish we would grow a pair and make ou & texas do a home and home the last 2 years just to eff with them…

It will be interesting how they make the divisions. My hope is they set it up as 4 3-team pods and mix it up every 4 years

OSU
TT
HOU

BYU
TCU
BU

ISU
KSU
KU

UCF
WVU
Cin

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Why would the SEC want them early now, and why would they want to leave early when the playoff is stuck at 4?

When poached, the SEC had visions of 6 or 7 teams getting in. Now, OU/Texas does nothing for the SEC.
The same and reason they want them to begin with…. $$$ it wasn’t only about playoff expansion it was mainly about the increased revenue per school that they would bring.

Dub

Deputy
May 31, 2007
Palo Alto, CA
www.pillowfight.us

1. Huge fan bases add a lot of eyeballs to the SEC. TV $$ go up, ad $$ go up.
2. These are traditional blue blood programs that are both mid-dumpster fire. Bring them over now so the current SEC teams can add "quality wins" before the rest of the country figures it out .

Dec 9, 2013
I wish we would grow a pair and make ou & texas do a home and home the last 2 years just to eff with them…

It will be interesting how they make the divisions. My hope is they set it up as 4 3-team pods and mix it up every 4 years

OSU
TT
HOU

BYU
TCU
BU

ISU
KSU
KU

UCF
WVU
Cin
Others on here have said it in other places but I say put ‘‘em in opposite divisions and then don’t schedule them. Make them cancel non conf opponents just to continue the RRS and then to add insult schedule their conf games so they cover up the TX state fair weekends.

Downside is you risk them winning their divisions and meeting for the championship game.

Apr 27, 2006
Others on here have said it in other places but I say put ‘‘em in opposite divisions and then don’t schedule them. Make them cancel non conf opponents just to continue the RRS and then to add insult schedule their conf games so they cover up the TX state fair weekends.

Downside is you risk them winning their divisions and meeting for the championship game.
With Texass that is not a very likely outcome.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
They will be gone in 2023, ESPN will pay out. They have to get the goons out of here before the potential total disaster that maybe awaiting them comes true. If their qb goes down, they will fall apart and Healthy is not the dude's middle name. If the whorns lay another two eggs ESPN/SEC is going to look stupid.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
If the new Big 12 conference does not get an automatic bid for the conference champion in the proposed revised 8 team playoff format, all of this movement over the next 2-3 years is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK

Yes, let's cut off our nose to spite our face. OU/Texas is one of the biggest games in the country. Fox and/or ESPN pay good money to air that game. Let's not be stupid to our own detriment. Let's not lower ourselves to the OUT level.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Yes, let's cut off our nose to spite our face. OU/Texas is one of the biggest games in the country. Fox and/or ESPN pay good money to air that game. Let's not be stupid to our own detriment. Let's not lower ourselves to the OUT level.
It would still be a big game, just not where they wish to play it

PistolPete'sMustache

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
This sucks. Might as well add Tulsa to our conference and rename the Big 12 as "Conference USA 2.0"

Our conference is going to be so weak.
If the new Big 12 conference does not get an automatic bid for the conference champion in the proposed revised 8 team playoff format, all of this movement over the next 2-3 years is like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
It will still be a good conference competitively. Smaller fan bases and therefore smaller dollars are inevitable, but the product will be fine. OU will still be good, Texas will always be "back" at 6-6. And the playoff will definitely include an automatic bid. That's the point of the 8 team playoff. AAC and MWC might even get an autobid (unlikely but possible). They'd pull the PAC's auto bid before ours. This certainly sucks because I miss the original Big XII, but the sky isn't falling completely.

Dec 9, 2013
I’m not sure how it works but aren’t the media rights for regular season already bought and paid for by ESPN & Fox? Isn’t the only thing left deciding from week to week (or 2 weeks out) which games go in which time slots and on which network?

Uo & TX have likely cost each other Big12 school in the neighborhood of $10-$20 million per yr spread out over 10 yrs that’s gonna be at least $150 to $200 million dollars. If we can screw w them on their way out and I’m wrong about the way the media $ are doled out then we are talking what $5,000,000 at most for the RRS spread out over 14 conf members so it’s less than $500,000 per school.

I’d bet 50,000 of us that go to BPS would pay $10 per ticket for any game to cover that.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I’m not sure how it works but aren’t the media rights for regular season already bought and paid for by ESPN & Fox? Isn’t the only thing left deciding from week to week (or 2 weeks out) which games go in which time slots and on which network?

Uo & TX have likely cost each other Big12 school in the neighborhood of $10-$20 million per yr spread out over 10 yrs that’s gonna be at least $150 to $200 million dollars. If we can screw w them on their way out and I’m wrong about the way the media $ are doled out then we are talking what $5,000,000 at most for the RRS spread out over 14 conf members so it’s less than $500,000 per school.

I’d bet 50,000 of us that go to BPS would pay $10 per ticket for any game to cover that.
I'm in