Turf field and injuries…

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

brianwr

Ripple
A/V Subscriber
Aug 2, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah I thought we played TCU at home this year. I’ve had friends who have played College football and it seems all would rather play on grass field. I knew a guy who played at LSU. He probably is rolling over in his grave since they are switching to purple artificial turf field.
What in the world are you talking about? Never in a 1000 years.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Funny. When you google it, there are multiple years this story has broke on....you guessed it....April 1st.
Well I did google search and was pranked, but found another story that was real. They laid new grass field in 2020 but non playing surfaces are artificial turf with some purple in it. Baton Rouge does not get much Sun from my recollection of when I lived there but they are having the updated draining system as it often rains their during games.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but out field was originally meant to be natural. With popping meant to be used as drainage to pipe in heat to help with snow melt. But they went turf and I don't think the piping has worked properly.
We need snow melt capability? Maybe once every 20 years.
It was just something I remember being mentioned. The pipes have the ability to have blowers attached to them to blow either hot or cold air through them. But I'm not sure it worked correctly to begin with.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
When comparison to other fields, BPS is fairly small or lower, so if they can grow natural grass their such as at A&M it could be done here.
Oh it can be done with shade tolerant grass. Oh, and BTW here is no "seems", I was just being polite: You are dead wrong on the field facing directly East and West and sun. Mark off a rectangle on a piece of paper, lay it on a table, and use a light and something vetical to block the light from one direction. You will see that the light will cast shadow on less of the rectangle if it is lengthwise from the block, especially as you move the light to more of an angle away from the block (sun in the South in winter time).

The more the sun moves South toward the winter solstice, the bigger difference it makes. Junior high science. Let me know if I need to make a video for you.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2006
A lot of the stadiums in Europe use really big grow lights on their grass to compensate for the lack of sunlight the field receives. So, we could probably do something similar to grow grass in BPS, but it seems like a lot of money and work for something we really don't need.

We were really close to having turf inside O'brate because of the problems the shadows created growing grass inside the stadium.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
It was just something I remember being mentioned. The pipes have the ability to have blowers attached to them to blow either hot or cold air through them. But I'm not sure it worked correctly to begin with.
Yeah, I wasn't real clear on my response. Blowing air through the pipes could make sense for drying the turf (or grass!) after rain, and they're going to have some sort of drainage piping anyway, so designing that ability into the drainage system makes sense. I focused on "snow melt," thinking there was a system put in just for that - which would have been crazy (imho!).

Nov 6, 2010