Turf field and injuries…

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
It was like playing on a paved parking lot. Only you also got carpet burns. Awful for football.
10th grade I was still in my 8th grade body and got nailed in a tackle drill. My head bounced like a rubber ball on that stupid surface. The very next drill caught my head in those “steer” cattle doors that teach you to hit low. The very next day I was suited up for soccer.

Jun 4, 2014
Dallas, TX
Artificial Grass should use conical cleats as opposed to blades. The blades stick in and don’t allow for rotation, which puts more stress on the ligaments. Soccer specifically has AG cleat lines. Generally cleat science hits soccer before football because footwear is more important to those athletes.
https://artificialgreens.org/can-i-wear-shoes-soccer-cleats-artificial-grass/

Full disclosure: I am a soccer cleat nerd

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Grass won't grow in BPS due to GIA blocking the morning sun.
Lewis Field had natural grass from 1920 until 1971. It seems the E-W orientation would allow for longer sunlight duration than N-S orientation. It is different now as they rarely practice on the BPS turf so it doesn’t have the wear and tear when it was used frequently to practice on.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
Lewis Field had natural grass from 1920 until 1971. It seems the E-W orientation would allow for longer sunlight duration than N-S orientation. It is different now as they rarely practice on the BPS turf so it doesn’t have the wear and tear when it was used frequently to practice on.
Actually it tends to be the other way around, because the sun spends a great deal of time rising, arcing and setting well South of directly East West. Having the length of the field run North/South allows more field to catch some sun even in the fall/winter/spring. The sun is only direct East/West in the summer. With GIA on the East end and stands/pressbox on the South side we have some sun challenges down on the field.

I just built a home and set it on the lot where I would get sunlight into the house from the Southeast (winter time), but not get sun into the house from directly West (summer time).

CowboyHoopsPride

Territorial Marshal
Feb 18, 2009
Godlevske was injured during OSU’s game against TCU and didn’t play against Texas Tech or Oklahoma.

TCU has a grass field.

Personally, I believe that’s where Warren got initially dinged up as well.
Yeah but we played TCU at home. On the BPS turf.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Yeah I thought we played TCU at home this year. I’ve had friends who have played College football and it seems all would rather play on grass field. I knew a guy who played at LSU. He probably is rolling over in his grave since they are switching to purple artificial turf field.

gundysburner

Territorial Marshal
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yeah I thought we played TCU at home this year. I’ve had friends who have played College football and it seems all would rather play on grass field. I knew a guy who played at LSU. He probably is rolling over in his grave since they are switching to purple artificial turf field.
You should look up what 'seems' actually means, given your proclivity for constantly using it to frame ridiculous ideas.

Jan 14, 2006
I don't know what else to tell you.

Screenshot_20220109-174213_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220109-174003_Chrome.jpg

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Actually it tends to be the other way around, because the sun spends a great deal of time rising, arcing and setting well South of directly East West. Having the length of the field run North/South allows more field to catch some sun even in the fall/winter/spring. The sun is only direct East/West in the summer. With GIA on the East end and stands/pressbox on the South side we have some sun challenges down on the field.

I just built a home and set it on the lot where I would get sunlight into the house from the Southeast (winter time), but not get sun into the house from directly West (summer time).
When comparison to other fields, BPS is fairly small or lower, so if they can grow natural grass their such as at A&M it could be done here.

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Haha oops we did.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Seems many of the NFL teams prefer natural grass fields as there seems to be some support of reduced injuries. I know OSU recently replaced their artificial turf in 2018 with ten-year warranty for $500,000 dollars. Seems we have more than the average of ACL and other leg injuries as the turf at times does not seem consistent and it seems odd when black pellets bounce in and out of the turf. Supposedly the rubber pellets are synthetic rubber recycled from tires and if swallowed or breathed in could be a cancer risks. Now they are replacing the rubber pellets with coconut shavings since it is a natural substance.

I just like natural grass surface and it was stated somewhere that OSU is a leader in Soil Science research for natural grass sodding and maintenance for other NCAA and NFL teams but we still use artificial turf for BPS football games. I believe OSU has a degree in Golf Course and Sports Field maintenance.

I realize we used to practice daily on the BPS field, but since we now have the Sherman Smith indoor practice facility and three outdoor practice facility we do not risk wear and tear on BPS anymore from daily practice in BPS. Now most NFL teams have draining and heating and cooling systems built into their natural grass systems to keep the field warmer during cold weather or cooler during very hot weather to prevent field surface from being 120 degrees when it is 95 degrees in August.
Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but our field was originally meant to be natural. With piping meant to be used as drainage and to pipe in heat to help with snow melt. But they went turf and I don't think the piping has worked properly.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited: