Turf field and injuries…

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Seems many of the NFL teams prefer natural grass fields as there seems to be some support of reduced injuries. I know OSU recently replaced their artificial turf in 2018 with ten-year warranty for $500,000 dollars. Seems we have more than the average of ACL and other leg injuries as the turf at times does not seem consistent and it seems odd when black pellets bounce in and out of the turf. Supposedly the rubber pellets are synthetic rubber recycled from tires and if swallowed or breathed in could be a cancer risks. Now they are replacing the rubber pellets with coconut shavings since it is a natural substance.

I just like natural grass surface and it was stated somewhere that OSU is a leader in Soil Science research for natural grass sodding and maintenance for other NCAA and NFL teams but we still use artificial turf for BPS football games. I believe OSU has a degree in Golf Course and Sports Field maintenance.

I realize we used to practice daily on the BPS field, but since we now have the Sherman Smith indoor practice facility and three outdoor practice facility we do not risk wear and tear on BPS anymore from daily practice in BPS. Now most NFL teams have draining and heating and cooling systems built into their natural grass systems to keep the field warmer during cold weather or cooler during very hot weather to prevent field surface from being 120 degrees when it is 95 degrees in August.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2008
A lot has to do with cleats and spike length. Combined with muscle fatigue/imbalance and structural biomechanics. Theres a lot that can contribute or a combination of many things. They need to chart what brand and style of cleats and turf age and company. Colleges and HSs could track it pretty easy but as of now it’s just a random time bomb.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
I would like for you to list all of our players who have injured their knees at BPS in the last 5 years.
Seems we have lost a large number of player due to ACL injuries and some had injured both knees. One of the Defensive players was out most of last year with a knee injury and then injured his other knee during preseason. We had so many injuries this year we had all our Starting WR out for some games. Seems the Wallace Twins both had knee injuries and one had to retire. Hubbard was always injured last year. Sanders frequently injured his legs.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
this x100 - embarrassing and disappointing. The Raiders have grass inside a dome, in the frickin' desert.
Supposedly a certain type of Bermuda grass was developed or discovered at OSU and is used in most NFL and NCAA grass fields, but ironically OSU opted to used artificial turf. Research on Artificial Turf has a significant higher probability of knee and leg injured as it doesn’t allow for bounce back or giving due to not being as soft as a grass field. O’Brate has a natural grass field. I don’t believe BPS would have any issues with shading due to its East-West field orientation.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
A&M is a big competitor of OSU in turf science. They went to an artificial surface years ago and since switched back to a natural grass surface. The "Tackle Box", as their stadium has been called (comparable with calling BPS "Rustoleum", and Aggies hate that name) has stacked stands which are very high. They have used a shade tolerant variety of grass combined with a sophisticated drainage system underneath with good success.

Natural Turf Drainage with AirDrain at Kyle Field Stadium - AirField Systems

So it can be done. I wish we would. BTW, AirDrain has a 405 area code - OSU people?

Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Another huge positive for grass is that air over grass is significantly cooler than turf. When it’s over 90* the temp on the field can be over 130*

A big negative for grass is the slippage, especially when wet.

The weird thing is when you look across the country in college and NFL it’s about 50/50. In college it seems to be a bit more regional. Most of the ACC is grass, most of the B12 is turf.

As far as injury goes, the data does suggest that turf produces more lower extremity non-contact injuries than grass in an NFL study.. However, that study was done over a period of 2006 to 2012 and turff technology has improved since then.

Mar 30, 2005
7 Island Suite
this x100 - embarrassing and disappointing. The Raiders have grass inside a dome, in the frickin' desert.
The grass field is on a tray that moves in and out of the stadium to grow the grass. Same system is at State Farm Stadium in Phoenix. It’s not actually grown inside and is rolled in for games.

A better comparable are the large soccer stadiums in Europe. Many have an overhang that shades much of the field, yet they have natural grass. Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and London Stadium are good examples.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Supposedly a certain type of Bermuda grass was developed or discovered at OSU and is used in most NFL and NCAA grass fields, but ironically OSU opted to used artificial turf. Research on Artificial Turf has a significant higher probability of knee and leg injured as it doesn’t allow for bounce back or giving due to not being as soft as a grass field. O’Brate has a natural grass field. I don’t believe BPS would have any issues with shading due to its East-West field orientation.
Latitude 36. It's on the field in Norman, but not at BPS. Just boggles the mind.

Sep 9, 2013
it's money.
Just too hard to maintain a natural grass field once you get out of the south and into areas with snow.
they are much better now.
when i played they were just carpet on top of concrete, and yeah, im dead serious.

Jul 9, 2011
Carlos, TX
it's money.
Just too hard to maintain a natural grass field once you get out of the south and into areas with snow.
when i played they were just carpet on top of concrete, and yeah, im dead serious.
It was like playing on a paved parking lot. Only you also got carpet burns. Awful for football.

andylicious

Territorial Marshal
Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Our east to west stadium configuration is a definite issue for field maintenance later in the year. You either pay the expense up front with field turf or as you go with natural turf.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
it's money.
Given the cost of installing was $500,000 in 2018 with 10-year warranty it surely would not cost that much now to install and maintain a grass field only used 6-7 games a year as we now have indoor practice facility and three other outside practice fields. Additionally, losing key players during season is very costly as we did early on and in the last 3-4 games. We may have beat Baylor with Warren and Godlevsky in the CCG.

O’Brate and Patterson field are grass so we need to be consistent and switch to grass in BPS as basically BPS is mostly only used for 6-7 Home games now and we need to reduce our injuries.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
Tulsa
Given the cost of installing was $500,000 in 2018 with 10-year warranty it surely would not cost that much now to install and maintain a grass field only used 6-7 games a year as we now have indoor practice facility and three other outside practice fields. Additionally, losing key players during season is very costly as we did early on and in the last 3-4 games. We may have beat Baylor with Warren and Godlevsky in the CCG.

O’Brate and Patterson field are grass so we need to be consistent and switch to grass in BPS as basically BPS is mostly only used for 6-7 Home games now and we need to reduce our injuries.
Godlevske was injured during OSU’s game against TCU and didn’t play against Texas Tech or Oklahoma.

TCU has a grass field.

Personally, I believe that’s where Warren got initially dinged up as well.