Tulsa Post Game Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 14, 2006
I just rewatched the second half offense again. We switched Jenkins back to RT and brought Springfield in at LT in Bullock's last drive. We moved the ball down the field on that drive until the INT and then we all saw how much better we moved the ball with Illingworth. I don't think we had a single sack with that line but I may have missed one.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Oline getting to a point where they are serviceable.

May 29, 2007
NE OK
The discord server seems like that crap the Kyles put out before they wrecked their blog, of course that was because people were being mean and disagreeing them
Notice the other threads about discord got locked?

I tried it. Its not for me either. I'm not downloading or signing up for another app. And trying to follow along on that link in the announcement app was a huge PITA compared to tapatalk.

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I just rewatched the second half offense again. We switched Jenkins back to RT and brought Springfield in at LT in Bullock's last drive. We moved the ball down the field on that drive until the INT and then we all saw how much better we moved the ball with Illingworth. I don't think we had a single sack with that line but I may have missed one.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Oline getting to a point where they are serviceable.
Did you dvr? I streamed so I’m not sure if they’ll have it posted to check that out.

Really good catch though on Tevin back to RT, that’s very helpful info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I wouldn't call it petty....but if you say so...Jenkins doesn't apply b/c he's shown he can both long time ago. In a perfect world, you'd leave Jenkins at RT due to his run blocking, but Galloway retired, which I don't blame him. I just don't agree with you that Sills is the answer at tackle. How are able to run the ball with no interior OL play? We tend to run a lot of inside zone.... His technique would changes from guard to tackle from a 3 point stance to a 2 point. Also, remember you have help inside...a center can chip in during pass protection. At LT, you're on an island, similar to a corner, with no help typically. I don't think Sills holds up tackle... Springfield came in at LT late in the game. Woodard came in at RG and struggles, and they're rotating at center with Tyrese Willams at times. Springfield also gave up a sack in the 2nd half, but it was at RT. What we need right now is a miracle. This isn't a championship OL IMO...and right now we need to find a way to become serviceable. Truth is, there's no simple ass to fix this. I just wish we were playing Kansas next week instead of WVU

Nov 21, 2018
Amelia Island, FL
Agree on LD. He was physical and ran through the TU players. Chuba is usually better than that at finding the seams. Non-existence of a passing game was a major problem for Chuba, along with poor O-line play. Lots to sort out, but at least the D isn’t in that equation...this week.

Sep 22, 2011

Illingworth got rid of the ball quickly as well which helped, also saw a lot more FB and RB not whiffing on their blocks like the first half. Still a lot of missed blocks in the run game against a very weak defense

Apr 12, 2020
Stillwater
I wouldn't call it petty....but if you say so...Jenkins doesn't apply b/c he's shown he can both long time ago. In a perfect world, you'd leave Jenkins at RT due to his run blocking, but Galloway retired, which I don't blame him. I just don't agree with you that Sills is the answer at tackle. How are able to run the ball with no interior OL play? We tend to run a lot of inside zone.... His technique would changes from guard to tackle from a 3 point stance to a 2 point. Also, remember you have help inside...a center can chip in during pass protection. At LT, you're on an island, similar to a corner, with no help typically. I don't think Sills holds up tackle... Springfield came in at LT late in the game. Woodard came in at RG and struggles, and they're rotating at center with Tyrese Willams at times. Springfield also gave up a sack in the 2nd half, but it was at RT. What we need right now is a miracle. This isn't a championship OL IMO...and right now we need to find a way to become serviceable. Truth is, there's no simple ass to fix this. I just wish we were playing Kansas next week instead of WVU
I’m very much with you on that. Idk, maybe Springfield could be some sort of answer and let Jenkins thrive on the right but they gotta do something.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I’m very much with you on that. Idk, maybe Springfield could be some sort of answer and let Jenkins thrive on the right but they gotta do something.

Only time will tell....not a lot of options!! Hopefully he can be an answer. Right now, we're in a situation of baptism by fire.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
One thing I forgot, malcolm rodriguez is really good, like has a shot at the NFL good.
Like Malcolm...he said earlier in the week he's up to 230 lbs....and he still moves really well!!! It's crazy people wanted him benched over Bundage. Like Calvin, but only as a situational player....dude isn't a full time starter

Jan 14, 2006
With Springfield at LT, we'll pretty much have to keep a CB or RB in to help but if it makes it possible to run with Jenkins at RT then might be what we have to do.

Nov 27, 2005
3 takeaways to sum up today's game:
1) D is legit
2) Besides Sanders, we have another QB who can run our offence
3) Besides Chuba, we have another RB who can run with the ball

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Like there should be a game thread on a discussion board.

Once again, utterly baffling what our coaching staff saw in the QB pecking order. I guess I get it, first game & Illingworth is a freshman & all, but good god, what a drop-off for 2 quarters @QB. Granted, the play calling did him no favors & our OL got beat by 3 man fronts mutiple times.

FG kicker looks to be a positive.

Defense won the game, along with Tulsa's absolutely abysmal penalties.
Here's how I see this game QB situation:
Gundy went with the guy with SOME college experience although it be Juco. He gave Bullock every opportunity to shine with the #1s and we all know the result of that, which was a big fat zero.

He also wanted to protect from throwing a freshman into a big, opening game and risk blowing the kid's mind with the speed of the game. But, then it came down to the ultimate question: Do you want to win this game or not?
And therefore the call was made.

It was like turning on a light switch for the team and fans alike. The energy level rose immediately as passes were going down the field and being caught by the guys that were supposed to be making great catches.
You could also see how Ill's teammates responded to him. They surrounded him, pating him on the back, shouting encouragement -- all GREAT SIGNS of great respect for his leadership.
This is a guy that can and did rally a team.

It immediately reminded me of the Cate/Weeden transition during that Colorado game that brought on a new era in OSU Cowboy football.